Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ZHP Motor blew

ZHP Motor blew

Hi, I'm new to this site. I recently blew my motor at the last HPDE in December after passing a Ferrari that was too slow through the “S” s at COTA. I’m now considering having a new ZHP motor installed by the dealer at a cost of $12 K versus looking for a used ZHP motor through an independent BMW repair shop. That’s just because I enjoy the car so much. Can I get some advice on this issue? Thanks! Sam.

First, welcome!

Second, I am have little knowledge of what it takes to replace an engine in our cars, but a few members have done it and can provide advice.

Personally, I’d buy a used ZHP motor for that price tag, $12k seems steep. Is that for a new factory motor? Also, it might be a great opportunity to put in a used S54 from an E46 M3 if it can fit your budget.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree - $12k is way too steep considering there are better motors that can be had for that kind of money.
    Used motors are relatively cheap, usually somewhere below $1500. You could perhaps buy one of those and rebuild it if you really want something minty fresh.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Thanks for the advice. Also, that's $12k WITH my BMW CCA discount - way too much. The only caveat is that a new ZHP motor comes with a 2-year warranty, unlike a used motor. I also looked into putting an S54 motor into it instead. My BMW dealer's shop said that would require a lot more work, part upgrades in addition to the motor, and some structural improvements to the body in order to accommodate this. Does anyone have experience with this kind of a swap? Thanks guys.

Quote Originally Posted by SamZHP04 View Post
    Thanks for the advice. Also, that's $12k WITH my BMW CCA discount - way too much. The only caveat is that a new ZHP motor comes with a 2-year warranty, unlike a used motor. I also looked into putting an S54 motor into it instead. My BMW dealer's shop said that would require a lot more work, part upgrades in addition to the motor, and some structural improvements to the body in order to accommodate this. Does anyone have experience with this kind of a swap? Thanks guys.
    Nextel's Imola Sedan ZHP thread (another imola sedan?)
    https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sha...6&share_type=t

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2006 Coupe | Black Sapphire Metallic | Natural Brown | Gruppe M Intake | Corsa TSE3 | Michelin PSS on Apex ARC-8 | Koni Yellows |

Absolutely insane to spend $12k on a motor. For that kind of coin, you could buy an entire clean example with < 100k on it.

Either get it rebuilt, or source a replacement motor from a boneyard. IMHO.

'21 M2 Competition
    '08 Z4 M Coupé
    '19 Golf R

Quote Originally Posted by SamZHP04 View Post
    They are right, you would need the M3 rear end and driveshaft if I'm not mistaken. It's definitely more work, but for $12k to have the exact same motor put in, I would want to swap in an S54.
    2005 Jet Black 6MT ZHP "Family First"
    ~Rob~

LS swap!

Used M54 engine would be my recommend COA.

---
    "ZHP is a garbage option anyway- just some cosmetic upgrades with a different cam and diff to claw back some of the performance lost fitting those hideous and heavy wheels. Any 330 with a 3.46 diff will smoke a ZHP every time. The whole Mafia thing reeks of childish behavior." - anonymous E46 fanatic

agree with shawn... you could get a used engine, installed, for $3K. you could do that 4 times to equal a new motor at the dealer.
    peter

2004 330i ZHP
    2005 330iT ZHP
    2010 328iT M Sport

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast