Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 102

Thread: Queen City Mafia

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Austin TX
    Posts
    5,308
    I had a similar issue. The battery cranked fine, but I needed 6, 8, or more attempts to finally start the car. It was the EWS unit. $450 OTD. I suspected the starter initially, and even bought one. It is still in a box, brand new. I may consider to sell it.
    2005 IR / black / 6MT
    147,000 miles

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Cary/Charlotte
    Posts
    117
    I'll definitely be interested. Thanks! May I ask how you figured out the issue was the Ews and not the starter?

    Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    05 Jet Black with NB 6MT ZHP: Current
    05 Alpine White with Beige Auto ZHP: Sold
    04 Alpine White with Grey Auto 325xi: RIP

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Lake Wylie, NC
    Posts
    333
    What a great idea. Heck, I'd enjoy getting to meet you guys.

    I have an engine support bar and a couple of 6-ton jack stands, four 3-ton jack stands, wheel chocks, etc, some cheap torque wrenches but will likely be buying higher end ones, some Torx sockets, some reverse Torx sockets (E sockets), oil filter sockets (27mm, 36mm), topside oil extractor, wooden ramps good for oil changes (can't compete with lift!), torque angle gauge, windshield wiper pulley, BMW brake pad thickness gauge, a creeper, and a lot of detailing supplies (buffer, hex pads, various polishes, etc.), pressure washer, electric impact wrench, pancake air compressor, angle grinder, a full set of plastic trim removal tools, and two unopened New Car smell trees.

    I also have a 14 year old Jack Russel that had a stroke during surgery years ago, falls over while trying to pee, and now sheds a pound of hair a day and tries to speak like a human, and he now weighs something like 50 lbs. Yeah, a 50 lb Jack Russel. No, really. Take a white seal pup, replace seal head with Jack Russel head. That's our dog.

    I've heard good things about several indy shops around Charlotte. I initially used Nick Brenner for awhile at Lake Wylie Euro near Lake Wylie (close to home and he does BMWs and MINIs), but I started doing more and more of my own work. I also found a guy up near Lincolnton that is really good. He worked with Raj of Besian Vanos fame to help him prototype some parts, and Raj recommended him. His name is Eric Sultanov and he has a website called doctorbimmer.com. I worked with him to do my S54 vanos complete overhaul, which is a lot more involved than the M54 vanos service. He also has a couple of low mileage E46 M3's for sale for cheap, but they are verts. He also buys wrecked cars and parts them out, but I don't think he has any E46 stuff at the moment.

    If any of you need to borrow anything, or if I can help you out in any way, just give me a shout.

    Salty (John)
    __________________________________________________ _____
    2005 BMW 330Ci ZHP Jet Black/Black with aluminum cube
    Bone stock at the moment

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Lake Wylie, NC
    Posts
    333
    Do you guys around Charlotte have any recommendations for front end alignments on BMWs? The car I just bought needs a front end alignment in a bad way. The steering wheel is like this \ to go in a straight line. If the tie rod nuts aren't rusted solid, I'm going to try adjusting myself until I can get it into a shop. I also need to put in strut tower reinforcement plates and hammer down a mushroomed tower, and put in a strut bar. I'd like to get it aligned properly after all that.

    Thanks!

    Salty
    __________________________________________________ _____
    2005 BMW 330Ci ZHP Jet Black/Black with aluminum cube
    Bone stock at the moment

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Lake Norman, NC
    Posts
    165
    Quote Originally Posted by SaltyNC View Post
    Do you guys around Charlotte have any recommendations for front end alignments on BMWs?
    I haven't had my alignment done yet, I have a shiny new set of Mystical Magical Koni FSDs sitting in the garage. once i install them i will probably have the Stealership do it. they will weight the car and set it to ZHP spec. i think ZHPizza said it cost him about $170.00 at Hendrick.

    YELKOS - Lake Norman, NC
    2006 330Ci ZHP, ZPP Vert. 6MT Mystic Blue / Grey Montana leather
    purchased 8/23/17 w/ 92,000


    Current Stable

    2014 Audi A6 Premium Plus (wife's ride)
    2005 Ford F-150 Lariat 4X4 (Daily Driver)
    2006 Acura MDX Touring (Daughter's college car)
    Deceased (Sold)
    2006 Audi A6
    1999 328I 5MT
    1998 528I AT

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Greensboro, NC
    Posts
    3,286
    Hendrick runs promos every now and then for $100, but that may only be with the purchase of tires.
    Emma - 2005 BMW 330ci ZHP 6MT Estorilblau Individual

    Sportline 8s 18x8.5F - 18x9.5R | APEX ARC-8 18x8.5 Square | aFe Intake | 135i Brembo F/R Calipers | 26mm Front/20mm Rear Sway Bars | Z4 Mirror
    M3 Dead Pedal | Lexus ES300 Yellow Fog Light Retrofit | Koni Yellows/H&R Springs | Llumar CTX 40% | Coby Tri-Stitch Wheel & Boots

    Awaiting Install: M3 Wing Mirrors

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Lake Wylie, NC
    Posts
    333
    Sounds good. I'll go with Hendrick. I'm on their mailing list. I'll look through old emails to see if I can find when they've done the promo in the past.

    Thanks!

    Salty
    __________________________________________________ _____
    2005 BMW 330Ci ZHP Jet Black/Black with aluminum cube
    Bone stock at the moment

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Greensboro, NC
    Posts
    3,286
    Quote Originally Posted by SaltyNC View Post
    Sounds good. I'll go with Hendrick. I'm on their mailing list. I'll look through old emails to see if I can find when they've done the promo in the past.

    Thanks!

    Salty
    I remember an email around thanksgiving-ish for “make sure your tires are winter-ready...”
    Emma - 2005 BMW 330ci ZHP 6MT Estorilblau Individual

    Sportline 8s 18x8.5F - 18x9.5R | APEX ARC-8 18x8.5 Square | aFe Intake | 135i Brembo F/R Calipers | 26mm Front/20mm Rear Sway Bars | Z4 Mirror
    M3 Dead Pedal | Lexus ES300 Yellow Fog Light Retrofit | Koni Yellows/H&R Springs | Llumar CTX 40% | Coby Tri-Stitch Wheel & Boots

    Awaiting Install: M3 Wing Mirrors

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    9,120
    Someone else has said certain Firestone locations do lifetime alignments for $180 or so.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    2,410
    Damn y'all done went ham on this thing

    Quote Originally Posted by slater View Post
    great idea. can i join?

    i might be into those M3 trans mounts.

    i love that the mazda is in that list.
    Now those I can fit in my carry-on bag!

    Maybe the cat too!

    Quote Originally Posted by 704sw View Post
    Because of the missing 1x4? I upgraded you to cedar to help get rid of the butthole stank from overflowing gear fluid.
    The janky 1x4 with staples hanging out of it held sentimental value, Spenser.

    It had been passed down through several generations of...well...it was nailed to the bottom of a christmas tree to keep it upright at the lot.

    Lots of memories. Gone forever.

    Quote Originally Posted by Yelkos View Post
    I'm all in!
    On top of Beer, I have an abundance of tools (not necessarily automotive)
    Compressor
    Pneumatic impact gun
    Flooring nailer
    Framing & trim nailers
    saws; reciporcating, oscillating, circular
    drills, etc
    a plethora of hand tools. include 3 sizes of tourque wrenches
    I tend to buy new tools when i have the smallest of home/auto improvment projects.

    I'm also willing and able to help with any projects either auto or home.
    all I ask for is good converation and beer... Did I mention beer?
    we will need beer!
    This thread is here to help you with that problem.

    And the beer problem.

    or solution?

    Yes.

    Quote Originally Posted by BMWCurves View Post
    I'll take the Mazda. And to outweigh the cost, I'll take the cat.
    If the dumb bitch could drive stick she'd be on her way to Portland.

    Quote Originally Posted by tomnobes View Post
    This is not exactly related but figured it would be a good place to ask this question. For a while now my car has intermittently decided to not start but has yet to leave me stranded.. Well.. I assume it's most likely the starter and figured I'll go ahead and get it replaced before I have to tow it somewhere.. Any recommendations for places to get it replaced? I like diys but I think this project is a bit out of my skill level.. As of now I'm thinking Euroenvy is the place to go in Charlotte. Any suggestions are appreciated
    A good [see: caveman] way to test an intermittent starter is to hit it with a hammer. For reals. They usually fail by the windings/armature not lining up right and tapping the casing with a hammer will move them a hair and allow the starter to spin. I'm not sure if the starter is accessible by hammer on these cars, though.

    Quote Originally Posted by SaltyNC View Post
    What a great idea. Heck, I'd enjoy getting to meet you guys.

    I have an engine support bar and a couple of 6-ton jack stands, four 3-ton jack stands, wheel chocks, etc, some cheap torque wrenches but will likely be buying higher end ones, some Torx sockets, some reverse Torx sockets (E sockets), oil filter sockets (27mm, 36mm), topside oil extractor, wooden ramps good for oil changes (can't compete with lift!), torque angle gauge, windshield wiper pulley, BMW brake pad thickness gauge, a creeper, and a lot of detailing supplies (buffer, hex pads, various polishes, etc.), pressure washer, electric impact wrench, pancake air compressor, angle grinder, a full set of plastic trim removal tools, and two unopened New Car smell trees.

    I also have a 14 year old Jack Russel that had a stroke during surgery years ago, falls over while trying to pee, and now sheds a pound of hair a day and tries to speak like a human, and he now weighs something like 50 lbs. Yeah, a 50 lb Jack Russel. No, really. Take a white seal pup, replace seal head with Jack Russel head. That's our dog.

    I've heard good things about several indy shops around Charlotte. I initially used Nick Brenner for awhile at Lake Wylie Euro near Lake Wylie (close to home and he does BMWs and MINIs), but I started doing more and more of my own work. I also found a guy up near Lincolnton that is really good. He worked with Raj of Besian Vanos fame to help him prototype some parts, and Raj recommended him. His name is Eric Sultanov and he has a website called doctorbimmer.com. I worked with him to do my S54 vanos complete overhaul, which is a lot more involved than the M54 vanos service. He also has a couple of low mileage E46 M3's for sale for cheap, but they are verts. He also buys wrecked cars and parts them out, but I don't think he has any E46 stuff at the moment.

    If any of you need to borrow anything, or if I can help you out in any way, just give me a shout.

    Salty (John)
    - Did you mean wiper puller? If so, plz gimme. I have a wiper arm that is not responding to threats.

    - Spenser is also an amateur detailer and will probably want to borrow your electric impact for some bolts on his rust bucket.

    - I definitely want to see this fatass dog fall over while it's talkin at me.

    - I've also heard good things about Eric and he recommended the amazing transmission dude that I worked on my wagon.

    Quote Originally Posted by SaltyNC View Post
    Do you guys around Charlotte have any recommendations for front end alignments on BMWs? The car I just bought needs a front end alignment in a bad way. The steering wheel is like this \ to go in a straight line. If the tie rod nuts aren't rusted solid, I'm going to try adjusting myself until I can get it into a shop. I also need to put in strut tower reinforcement plates and hammer down a mushroomed tower, and put in a strut bar. I'd like to get it aligned properly after all that.

    Thanks!

    Salty
    Has the steering wheel been removed for any reason? It's pretty easy to reinstall it off a tooth and have it misaligned. Super easy to remove -- just release the airbag with a screwdriver and crank the 5/8" (16mm) nut off. Youtube that ass.

    I did in fact take mine to the Hendrick on Independence for an alignment back when I got the car. It was so bad that it was getting a steering angle sensor error. At the time, they were advertising $130 for alignment on their Value Service page. The advisor that I worked with didn't know anything about it, but he was happy to adjust the cost down to $130 for me (from the standard $210!). I like going to them because they (a) know the special specs for our special performance package cars and (b) weigh it down with sandbags to mimic body weight.

    I could use another alignment soon, so let me know what you end up with!

    Quote Originally Posted by Yelkos View Post
    I haven't had my alignment done yet, I have a shiny new set of Mystical Magical Koni FSDs sitting in the garage. once i install them i will probably have the Stealership do it. they will weight the car and set it to ZHP spec. i think ZHPizza said it cost him about $170.00 at Hendrick.
    You can definitely replace the shocks without needing an alignment. Just mark the strut tower nut locations before you remove and make sure they're in the same spot when you put it all back together.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. New member from the Motor City
    By Sicdog in forum New Members (or older members who have not introduced themselves)
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 06-10-2015, 12:15 PM
  2. FS: 2004 BMW 330 Ci ZHP, blk/NB, 6MT, $12,995, Ocean City, MD
    By ELCID86 in forum BMW 330 ZHPs For Sale (vehicles only)
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-14-2013, 07:01 PM
  3. City lights
    By az3579 in forum Lighting
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 06-01-2011, 05:37 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •