Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Recommendation needed for new O-ring for Disa Valve and cleaning MAF to check for extra air

My SES on the car says it has been running "lean" and throwing bank1 and bank2 codes (Peake 2882, 2883) for months. So I have these questions as I will clean and locate the extra air that the MAF could not detect:

1. I'm going to be spray cleaning( using the CRC bottle) on the MAF and taking the plastic hoses behind the MAF apart to visually check for any small cracks. I've watched some youtube videos as to where to practically look(upper intake boot, disa valve, tube to oil separator, under the ICV etc). 6 months ago, when I was cleaning the ICV, I saw no cracks on the surrounding hoses so I will see this time. Any where else that is obvious?

2. On our M54 engine after it is running; I pulled the power connector off on the MAF and my engine is still running and I guess the car's computer is telling the engine to reconfigure itself and continue running. Does that mean the MAF is working fine? I saw on the youtube videos for car brands in general, that if you pull the plug off the MAF and if the engine stops, then the MAF is working fine, doing its job? Which one is it for our BMW M54 engine? If there another way to check if the MAF is defective or not? I do not have fluctuating RPM on cold start or while the car is running. But want to take action on the SES.

3. Since I am taking parts and hoses apart to check for unmetered air, I would like to replace the O-ring(reddish color) on my DISA valve. Where do we get these O-ring for our cars now; any one have good luck with this $25 item from Amazon for the Sentinel Parts 11617544806 01-06 BMW 2.5L Air Intake Manifold Flap Adjuster Unit DISA Valve Repair Kit & O-Ring . That's the only place I found so far that is compatible.

Thanks..

Here's a DISA o-ring for $5.45 - https://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-DISA-Va...-/162117908513

There is one for even less at the bottom of that auction's page.
    2006 330ci ZHP - Silbergrau Metallic / Stoff Laser/Anthrazit / Alu Black Cube trim / Adaptive Xenon headlights / HK hi-fi system / heated front seats

I'm doing some preemptive maintenance on my DISA and installing the GAS kit, but you can buy just o-rings.

http://www.germanautosolutions.com/b...sa_o_rings.php

Salty
    __________________________________________________ _____
    2005 BMW 330Ci ZHP Jet Black/Black with aluminum cube
    Bone stock at the moment

Thanks Salty. I will order the o-ring.

I have my old MAF from my last ZHP. I replaced it chasing what turned out to be clogged cats. So it's in fine shape, the inner plastic has one broken tab, but it doesn't affect function. I'll gladly send it to you for testing purposes if you like. Should cost all of $5 to mail it. Let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by SaltyNC View Post
    I'm doing some preemptive maintenance on my DISA and installing the GAS kit, but you can buy just o-rings.

http://www.germanautosolutions.com/b...sa_o_rings.php

Salty
    Hi Salty:

When I am about to replace the O-ring, do you know what #47 instructions by the vendor is all about, in regards to the "supplied grease"? Is that a grease that comes with the purchased O-ring? I am thinking of getting the Fluorosilicone Replacement O-Ring, and don't want to miss any other item. Thanks.

"
    Once the groove is cleaned you can install the new O-ring. Squeeze some of the supplied grease onto your fingers, then work the grease onto the surface of the O-ring before installation. "

Quote Originally Posted by Smolck View Post
    I have my old MAF from my last ZHP. I replaced it chasing what turned out to be clogged cats. So it's in fine shape, the inner plastic has one broken tab, but it doesn't affect function. I'll gladly send it to you for testing purposes if you like. Should cost all of $5 to mail it. Let me know.
    Hi Smolck:

If you think borrowing your old MAF would help me in my diagnosis, would it make sense for me to borrow it over 2-3 weeks for testing while normally driving, to see if the lean error codes come back ?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by thinkpad240 View Post
    Hi Smolck:

If you think borrowing your old MAF would help me in my diagnosis, would it make sense for me to borrow it over 2-3 weeks for testing while normally driving, to see if the lean error codes come back ?

Thanks.
    You can keep it. Pm me your address and I'll send it along.

Quote Originally Posted by thinkpad240 View Post
    Hi Salty:

When I am about to replace the O-ring, do you know what #47 instructions by the vendor is all about, in regards to the "supplied grease"? Is that a grease that comes with the purchased O-ring? I am thinking of getting the Fluorosilicone Replacement O-Ring, and don't want to miss any other item. Thanks.

"
    Once the groove is cleaned you can install the new O-ring. Squeeze some of the supplied grease onto your fingers, then work the grease onto the surface of the O-ring before installation. "
    Thinkpad, the GAS DISA kit comes with a tiny tube of grease to primarily lube the flapper spindle. It's a synthetic grease called Super Lube that contains PTFE. I think it is readily available at auto parts stores. However, I think just about any grease would be fine. You could just as easily rub a little oil around the o-ring, some vasoline...or just spit on it to ease the DISA valve into the intake. You just don't want much on the o-ring...a very thin film is all that is needed. They suggest that a little lube will help the DISA seat into the intake without pinching the o-ring, and will also help it seal better. If sealing is a concern, grease might be better than spit.

Edit: I don't want to be accused of giving you bad advice while joking around. Ideally, you'd want to lube the o-ring with some kind of silicon based lubricant to make the o-ring last as long as possible. The fluorocarbon o-ring is really robust, but no need to short its life with petroleum based products, even though your car will probably not outlast that fluoro o-ring even if you put petroleum grease/oil on it.

Salty
    Last edited by SaltyNC; 01-23-2018 at 08:39 PM. Reason: Better info
    __________________________________________________ _____
    2005 BMW 330Ci ZHP Jet Black/Black with aluminum cube
    Bone stock at the moment

Salty:

GAS said the oring does come with grease, so I've put the order in now. Thanks for the responses and I'll let you guys know how this project went(ETA 2-4 weeks) as soon as all the supplies arrive to diagnosis and test the lean error code.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast