Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Wading through AT Fluid is hazardous to your health

Wading through ATF forum posts and doing research is mind-numbing. I think I finally have arrived at some answers, but I wanted to run it past you guys with AT transmissions.

I looked under my son's car, and I said, oh, you have a blue label, so it's Esso 71141 LT. Well, no. It turns out the label is more of a turquoise color, and there was a part number on it, and I then realized this bluish colored label is actually the green label with part number 83220024359. So, that means I need the Texaco ETL 8072B fluid. Of course, that isn't made any more, but it turns out BMW now recommends replacing that fluid with their latest Dexron VI oil, which happens to be made by Petrol Canada. Since Dexron VI is so stringent, any Dexron VI should be fine.

With that knowledge, I go to some of the more common parts sites we all use, and they all have AT kits using Redline D4. Knowing that Redline also makes a D6 for Dexron VI replacement, I wondered why they recommended D4. Well, D4 would be more similar to what was originally in the transmission, but everyone says VI is better than III, and BMW is now using Dexron VI to replace Texaco 8072B, so why not just pick up a couple of gallons of AC Delco Dexron VI -- cause it's made by Petrol Canada, too. And most everyone says if the company is reputable, Dexron VI is Dexron VI.

So, I look up AC Delco Dexron VI, and wouldn't you know it, there are two part numbers. One is GM Dexron and the other is AC Delco Dexron, so I'm thinking hmmm, maybe the GM product is a little better, and it costs more. Nope. The new part number is 10-9395 for AC Delco and for GM Dexron. It's the same. The 10-9030 has been superseded. It may be nothing more than a container shape change. And we must all remember the rule, Dexron VI is Dexron VI.

So, after that round the world trip of information, I finally decide, I'm going to do three fluid changes on my GM auto trans with AC Delco Dexron VI Part number 10-9395. It's $29 a gallon with free shipping from Amazon Prime. Then I saw where Advanced Auto has Castrol Dexron VI on sale for $4.99 a quart with free shipping ($50+ order). WOW! $20 a gallon!! Now I'm back to thinking is Dexron VI really Dexron VI no matter who makes it? Do I go with Redline D4, do I go with AC Delco Dexron VI which is really the same as BMW Dexron VI, or do I go with Castrol Dexron VI for $20 a gallon?

I'm thinking I'm probably going to go with AC Delco since it is the same Petrol Canada Dexron VI as BMW fluid.

Thoughts? Prayers?

Salty
    __________________________________________________ _____
    2005 BMW 330Ci ZHP Jet Black/Black with aluminum cube
    Bone stock at the moment

I been a firm believer of the Redline ATF. Been using it in the Step and Manual Trans as well as power steering.

Unless cost is a concern for you?

His - 2004 Imola Red / Alcantara 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

Her's - 2005 Black Sapphire Metallic / Black Leather 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

Quote Originally Posted by Vas View Post
    I been a firm believer of the Redline ATF. Been using it in the Step and Manual Trans as well as power steering.

+1 RL D4 ATF FTW

https://www.redlineoil.com/bmw-what-...ucts-do-i-need

Redline.

Gonna echo Shawn, Vas and ZHPizza. Go with Redline. I did a ton of research into what I should have put into my manual gearbox and found the OE Pentosin fluid. I switched to Redline last change and it works great. Maybe even better, I can't really tell. Lots of great reviews and I think a few members have even sent samples to blackstone labs and they came back great.

Stay far far away from anything Royal Purple and avoid giving Advance Auto any of your money. They don't deserve it.
    2005 Jet Black 6MT ZHP "Family First"
    ~Rob~

Quote Originally Posted by Newjack View Post
    Stay far far away from anything Royal Purple
    Do you say that because it doesn't work well in the E46 transmissions? The reason I ask is that RP Synchromax is considered one of the smoothest shifting transmissions fluids for the Z4M, and many people use it with great results. I have Redline D4 in my Z4M's manual trans, but it does seem to get a bit notchy after 20K miles. Of course, here I'm talking about a GM auto transmission, so very much apples and oranges.

So, based on the comments, it sounds like you all think I should go with Dexron VI, huh? I'm going to need a lot of Redline D4 to do what I want to do and get as much of the old oil out as possible. Maybe I can find it some place cheaper by the gallon.

Thanks for the input.

Salty
    Bone stock at the moment

Do you guys also use D4 in your power steering?

And what's your thought on the diff? I have two bottles of Redline 75W90 inbound. Are you running 75W90?

Salty
    Bone stock at the moment

Quote Originally Posted by SaltyNC View Post
    Do you guys also use D4 in your power steering?

And what's your thought on the diff? I have two bottles of Redline 75W90 inbound. Are you running 75W90?

Salty
    Redline all the fluids

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

His - 2004 Imola Red / Alcantara 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

Her's - 2005 Black Sapphire Metallic / Black Leather 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

Autozone.com
    Redline all the fluids

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    Do it

Quote Originally Posted by SaltyNC View Post
    Do you say that because it doesn't work well in the E46 transmissions? The reason I ask is that RP Synchromax is considered one of the smoothest shifting transmissions fluids for the Z4M, and many people use it with great results. I have Redline D4 in my Z4M's manual trans, but it does seem to get a bit notchy after 20K miles. Of course, here I'm talking about a GM auto transmission, so very much apples and oranges.

So, based on the comments, it sounds like you all think I should go with Dexron VI, huh? I'm going to need a lot of Redline D4 to do what I want to do and get as much of the old oil out as possible. Maybe I can find it some place cheaper by the gallon.

Thanks for the input.

Salty

Kayger12 ran the Royal Purple in his differential and did a blackstone report shortly after and the report was really bad. He swapped fluids immediately after. The photos from the thread are taken down, but if you ask him he might be able to find them again.

Here's a link to his thread
    2005 Jet Black 6MT ZHP "Family First"
    ~Rob~

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast