Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thinking of selling my 03 Imola ZHP...

2003 BMW 330 ZHPs For Sale
    2004 BMW 330 ZHPs For Sale
    2005 BMW 330 ZHPs For Sale
    2006 BMW 330 ZHPs For Sale
    Not a sale post, rather a feeler and seeking pricing advice... I figured I'd post this here but mods please feel free to move if there's a more proper location.

I purchased my 03 ZHP a little over 2 years ago and have enjoyed it a lot. I'm at a point where I have my eye on an E36 M3 (which I've wanted for a while) and the ZHP would have to go. Reason this isn't a FS post right now is 1. I'm not 100% sure yet about this decision and 2. I'm not sure what is a fair asking price.

I have an idea in mind of what I'd like to get for it based on everything I've invested and all the other cars I've seen for sale on here, but I'm really looking for the mafia's suggestions on what is fair for both buyer and seller. Here's the info, but I'm not listing all the small things as this would turn into a few posts at least .

2003 330i sedan Imola red with beige (I think Sand) interior
    196,000 miles (I have owned it from ~174k miles, so I put 22k in about 25 months)

The car runs great and I have put close to $10k into it. A lot of that was me being the anal nut that I am and buying all the little trim pieces the car "needed". Wheel well liners, covers under the engine, all the front bumper ducts, etc., cowling, hood vent, etc.

Most of that $10k went into preventative maintenance.... Aside from a howling AC Compressor (working but making noise) I replaced as soon as I bought it and the steering rack that's making noise (new one going in next week from rack doctor), the car hasn't "needed" anything. I did the full cooling system a few months after buying it, replaced all the maintenance items and fluids and I mean ALL (all fluids and oils as well as all filters, plugs, etc.). It has a fairly new suspension with all new components in front (bilstein/eibach all around and all Lemf or similar components in front... control arms, AKG control arm bushings, motor mounts, tie rods, shock mounts, etc). Also did the CCV valve with all new pipes/hoses. Probably other random stuff I can't think of off the top of my head.

The remaining $2.5-3k went into some Apex wheels and Conti tires (~$1800-1900), short shifter and some other random mods.

Other than both the interior and exterior showing wear (some chips, tiny dings and random tiny spots of clear coat issues on exterior and wear on the light interior leather, no tears etc) there's really no negatives with the car. The rear subframe points were checked for any cracks and nothing is there. Once the full rear suspension overhaul is completed the car will need nothing (doesn't need it, but I planned on doing it as preventative maint just like everything else).

Long story short, car was worth around $6-7k when I got it and I put almost $10k into it over the last couple years. I've had almost 20 cars and most of them were a BMW, so I know that I realistically will never see most of that money .

As I said before, I just want to get an idea of what's a fair price for a car that runs perfect and has basically all preventative maintenance done, along with a few mods, wheels and suspension. Just so it's out there, I am pretty sure asking more than $10k is unrealistic, but I will also probably rather keep it if I can't get close to $9k for it. Not sure if I'm still dreaming, so please let me know your thoughts guys.

Thanks!

A couple photos as it currently sits in summer and one older photo showing the winter wheels

Due to the mileage, I think it would be tough to get near that price.

If the car runs great and won't need any major repair works for 10 years, why don't you keep it as a second car?. It does not look like anyone will give you all the money back that you put into it. The e36 M3 has only a little bit more power than the ZHP but if it is good for tracking, then you might need a car for daily driving still?

Quote Originally Posted by holyc0w View Post
    Due to the mileage, I think it would be tough to get near that price.
    This. High mileage, no matter what level of care was put into it, tends to ruin a car's value. That's the main reason I haven't bothered entertaining the thought of selling mine and instead decided that it will spend its retirement as a dedicated track car once a second car has been acquired.

Honestly, you're better off keeping it, IMO.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

I had an e36 M3 five years ago and just got a Zhp 6 months ago. I would say I prefer the Zhp. You may find it hard to get what you put into your Zhp as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

it's a tough one. the car looks great and the maintenance is good, but being a 2003, having high mileage and a sand interior - it's going to take the right buyer to get top dollar. i think $7K would be more reasonable.
    peter

2004 330i ZHP
    2005 330iT ZHP
    2010 328iT M Sport

Quote Originally Posted by az3579 View Post
    This. High mileage, no matter what level of care was put into it, tends to ruin a car's value. That's the main reason I haven't bothered entertaining the thought of selling mine and instead decided that it will spend its retirement as a dedicated track car once a second car has been acquired.

Honestly, you're better off keeping it, IMO.
    That is definitely plan A, or maybe B . I plan to get a comfy Lexus GS430 or LS as a daily driver within the next year or so, moving this to weekend car duty. There are many possibilities, but just wanted to get some outside opinions and advice on value etc if I decide to post it for sale soon. Thanks a lot guys!

Something does not add up here, first off paying 7K for a car with 170K miles does not make sense. Well, ok, even if you did. I just don’t see how you could have spent 10K on it and still have wear and tear on it, it should have been perfecto. Otherwise, you might have taken the 17K you spent and bought yourself a very low mileage ZHP. The car is probably attract interest in the low 6K, imho. I can see that the mod/restore bug might have been to blame, but don’t see trim pieces worth 10K. Wheels and tires and other maintenance don’t count, it should be completed for any car that has asking prices over 5K.

Quote Originally Posted by AM1GO View Post
    Something does not add up here, first off paying 7K for a car with 170K miles does not make sense. Well, ok, even if you did. I just don’t see how you could have spent 10K on it and still have wear and tear on it, it should have been perfecto. Otherwise, you might have taken the 17K you spent and bought yourself a very low mileage ZHP. The car is probably attract interest in the low 6K, imho. I can see that the mod/restore bug might have been to blame, but don’t see trim pieces worth 10K. Wheels and tires and other maintenance don’t count, it should be completed for any car that has asking prices over 5K.

If I had the brains to take $15k and buy a clean lower mileage ZHP for $10-12 instead of $6, then put $3-5k into it to lightly mod it and ride off into the sunset this thread wouldn't exist .

If you're that curious about how I can spend 10k and still have wear I'd be happy to explain it, but it all boils down to what we all know owning these cars and any projects... little shit adds up and used cars need lots of little shit. As I said above the wear and tear is the non-avoidable stuff for the age/mileage (interior leather losing color (mainly front seats) and exterior paint (still clean but random little things here and there from almost 200k of driving).

Just an example of how $ was spent on this car... $1000 into engine (all the CCV stuff, ignition coils, all the little seals and I mean ALL, hood struts and pins, ac compressor and some labor for all of that). Cooling system $800 with labor. Suspension $1200 without labor costs. Brakes $400.

As I said, it adds up. With a paint job and some fixing up on the interior this car is mint and mechanically near perfect (I say near because rear bushings/etc weren't done).

I can easily see 5K spent. The reality is all of the spending needs to be discounted. Many of the components will need to be replaced in the next 30K again. And as some pointed market price for these cars is a simple function of mileage given all of maintenance is up to date, if not further discounts.

It’s subjective, but $3000 spent for wheels and tires 20K miles later will be discounted, wheels to 600 maybe on a good day., and tires to 0.

I would ask myself how much I would pay for a car like that.

Unfortunately, a car is depreciating asset and should be treated as such. I always found it amusing finding guys on CL buying a ZHP for a good price driving for a year and the trying to sell for 30% more then they got it for. That is just super funny.

And of course we all know there should be a budget of about 4K/year for any BMW for maintenance and repairs.

That said, if the car is in a good shape, having put that much you probably had intentions keeping it long term, so be it.

It’s a good car, but, these days you get an E39 M5 for around 10K, rare... but you see where I am going...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast