Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP

Annoying road and wind noise from passenger side?

I have a convertible and I'm in the process of installing some sound deadening materials, mainly for better audio. I installed Dynamat on the interior side of the front doors and rear quarter panel areas but I haven't been able to figure out whats causing an annoying road and wind noise problem I've been having coming from the passenger side. It sounds like it may be coming from passenger side front door area and sounds almost as if the door is partially open. I checked the door seal and it seems to be fine. When I installed the Dynamat I removed the factory sound deadening mats on the front doors so I'm wondering if their removal may have something to do with it. I'll know more after I install sound deadening MLV on the front doors, but for now I was curious if anyone else here with a convertible has noticed the same wind and road noise from the right side of their car.

I have a similar problem but may be different. If I crack my window it goes away, so wondering if it may be a regulator. If I roll it up all the way it sometimes makes that noise.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Randeaux/Rando/John/jr - '06 Cic ZHP; Southern California
    "ZHP or not, I still like you"

ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV, Anthracite Black "my individual" interior trim
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Suspension: AST 44100 dampers, Bimmerworld front adjustable end links, Swift springs (8K front, 10K rear), Vorshlag camber plates
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors
    Note: Actual car no longer resembles signature picture

i don't think it's the regulator. it's just a track for the windows pretty much. have you tried checking the insulation in the mirrors? or if your mirrors are tightened down all the way? or maybe check the door moldings too. since you usually would take that off to get to the window regulators on a coupe. so maybe it's loose or something.

Quote Originally Posted by johnrando View Post
    I have a similar problem but may be different. If I crack my window it goes away, so wondering if it may be a regulator. If I roll it up all the way it sometimes makes that noise.

Yes, exactly. I started noticing some road and wind noise, then an even more annoying squeaking and creaking sound. I applied some silicon to the window and door seals and the creaking noise went away, but I still have the road and wind noise. I don't think the window is properly seating in the gasket.

I found the following post about adjusting the window. I'm gonna give it a try and see if it helps.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=744357

Thx for posting!

ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV, Anthracite Black "my individual" interior trim
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Suspension: AST 44100 dampers, Bimmerworld front adjustable end links, Swift springs (8K front, 10K rear), Vorshlag camber plates
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors

I just did the window adjustment on my coupe. I am so happy now. They were so wobbly before, and I did not realize how much wind noise they were letting in until I did they job. Much quieter now!
    I also adjusted the striker bar on the door frame to bring it more flush with the body panel, and hopefully make a tighter seal with the door gasket. These have been some of my favorite DIYs so far.
    I used these links:
    http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=986621
    http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=647631

I hope these can help someone like they helped me!

Problem solved, no adjustment required.

I bought one of those OBDII code readers, a Schwaben 510 a while back from ECS Tuning to clear all the error codes I had after my sound system install. I thought I had cleared all the error codes and the reader verified that there were no error codes listed anywhere in the cars memory, but I decided to do a little more digging and found an error code related to the passenger side front window that was never cleared. I can't remember the exact name of the error code, but it had to do with the window not automatically dipping up and down when you open and close the door. I erased the code and the problem went away. No more road or air noise and no more creaking sounds from that side of the car. No adjustment required!

Sweet