Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP

Performance Suspension

I've been searching and haven't really found anything conclusive. What is the best spring shock combo for improved handling over the standard ZHP suspension? Everything I've found has been related to refreshing the ZHP, but not specifically addressing an upgrade from the ZHP suspension. I'd rather not get coils, but if that's my only option, then so be it. And to mention, I do want a stiffer setup over stock, and am not opposed to lowering the suspension modestly.

Quote Originally Posted by Remixaflip View Post
    I've been searching and haven't really found anything conclusive. What is the best spring shock combo for improved handling over the standard ZHP suspension? Everything I've found has been related to refreshing the ZHP, but not specifically addressing an upgrade from the ZHP suspension. I'd rather not get coils, but if that's my only option, then so be it. And to mention, I do want a stiffer setup over stock, and am not opposed to lowering the suspension modestly.
    I really shouldn't post while at work. I saw this thread, thought I was looking at my emails and was wondering which of my employees was being suspended for their performance lol

OP there are a ton of different options for suspensions. It's kinda like saying "what's the best car to get?" It really depends on what you are looking for in a suspension. For example, if you want pure performance, its going to be lower, going to be hard and stiff and probably a bit expensive.

Try giving us a little more about what you want, I'm sure others here will suggest something that suits you.

I'm running an H&R Touring Cup Kit and I like it. The car is more aggressive than stock, lowered about an inch in the front and an inch and a half in the rear. The springs are progressive so it drives like a daily until you start to throw it around a bit, then the springs get stiffer.

Coilovers are most expensive and probably one of the best options because you can adjust ride height to just about whatever you want.
    2005 Jet Black 6MT ZHP "Family First"
    ~Rob~

personally i'm very impressed with koni yellows and stock ZHP springs. replace the top mounts, tune the dampers to your liking, and enjoy. it can be anywhere from a little more controlled than stock (and comfy) to stiff and a lot more controlled than stock.

if you're going to lower it i would use eibach pro-kit springs - they maintain the F/R factory spring balance, which BMW actually did a killer job with on these cars.
    peter

2004 330i ZHP
    2005 330iT ZHP
    2010 328iT M Sport

Quote Originally Posted by slater View Post
    personally i'm very impressed with koni yellows and stock ZHP springs. replace the top mounts, tune the dampers to your liking, and enjoy. it can be anywhere from a little more controlled than stock (and comfy) to stiff and a lot more controlled than stock.

if you're going to lower it i would use eibach pro-kit springs - they maintain the F/R factory spring balance, which BMW actually did a killer job with on these cars.
    +1

Here's my suspension refresh thread with all the part numbers and impressions: http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showt...miles-10-years

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCurves View Post
    +1

Here's my suspension refresh thread with all the part numbers and impressions: http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showt...miles-10-years
    OP i was going to mention Curves' awesome thread until i read you wanted it to be stiffer. Are you looking to track your zhp?

I ask because you might want to see how a suspension refresh allows you to see what our 13-15 year old cars drove like when new.

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCurves View Post
    +1

This is a big help for those of us doing the suspension refresh. Thanks for posting it.

Salty
    __________________________________________________ _____
    2005 BMW 330Ci ZHP Jet Black/Black with aluminum cube
    Bone stock at the moment

Thanks for all the replies. To answer some questions.

1) I've done a suspension refresh on a previous ZHP, albeit great handling, it wasn't exactly what I was looking for. It as a great improvement, but this time around, I want something a little more.

2) This will be my DD but want it to be very responsive and controlled, with a little more low. I have three backroads I take to and from work, and I want to be planted when I get to the twisties and switchbacks.

3) I am honestly looking to get into tracking/drifting as there is local track close by. So even though this is my daily, I want this to be a weekend toy if desired.

After some looking, im really leaning towards the H&R Sport Cup Kit, but still need to do some research.

You guys are awesome.

Thanks for all the replies. To answer some questions.

1) I've done a suspension refresh on a previous ZHP, albeit great handling, it wasn't exactly what I was looking for. It as a great improvement, but this time around, I want something a little more.

2) This will be my DD but want it to be very responsive and controlled, with a little more low. I have three backroads I take to and from work, and I want to be planted when I get to the twisties and switchbacks.

3) I am honestly looking to get into tracking/drifting as there is local track close by. So even though this is my daily, I want this to be a weekend toy if desired.

After some looking, im really leaning towards the H&R Sport Cup Kit, but still need to do some research.

You guys are awesome.
    personally... based on #3, i don't think you'll be happy with the H&R sport cup kit. you're going to need a lot more of a whole-car solution than just springs and dampers. and you'll need better dampers.
    peter

2004 330i ZHP
    2005 330iT ZHP
    2010 328iT M Sport

Shocks can only get you so far in terms of making the car feel firmer, at which point you need springs. Having just done an OEM-style refresh myself, I wish I had done springs as well.

I would suggest talking to a reputable shop that does a good amount of track prep to figure out what the right spring/damper/bar/tire combination is for you. May be a little expensive, but ECS Tuning has TC Kline stuff with whatever spring rate you want.