Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP

diagnosing fuel issues 2006 X5

I have a 2006 X5 4.8iS with fuel issues. My wife went to the library, and when she parked it, it ran fine. When she went to leave, it started but idled really rough and then died. I looked at it and it did the same thing, and then after a while it wouldn't start at all. It seems to me that the fuel system somehow crapped out completely and it ran rough because it wasn't getting enough fuel, and then once it used all the fuel in the lines, then it wouldn't start anymore.

I've tested the relays and fuses - both good.

Tested voltage at the fuel pump - got 12 volts when the key is turned to start - but not the first 2 seconds or so when the key is turned to on when the pump is supposed to be priming.

I used one of those car battery jump starter devices and hooked up 12 volts to the fuel pump itself - no reaction. I also felt the pump itself when the key was turned to start and didn't feel it come on.

So I'm 99% sure the pump itself went out, but I'm concerned that I'm not getting any voltage when the key is turned to On and the pump should be priming for a second or 2. I got some voltage immediately before the key was turned to start once, but that's it.

Is there something else I can test here, or am I right that it's the fuel pump? I don't want to spend a bunch on the pump if that's not it.

Thanks
    John||2005 BMW 330i ZHP||1995 Chevrolet Camaro 3.4L||2008 Hummer H2 SUT|| @oltorf.the.destroyer

It's the fuel pump... very common in the e53
    Dinan CAI &Throttle body, ESS Tuning TS2, Bimmerbrakes gen3 headers, UUC SSK & DSSR. Achilles oil pump, VAC oil pan baffle
    M3 Motor mounts, UUC Trans mounts, Modified clutch style LSD 3.15, TMS front subframe reinforcement, Koni Yellow sports,
    H&R sport springs,
    UUC sway bars, BMW Perf. Rotors, UUC SS brake lines, Hawk HPS pads, CSL replica wheels,
    Rotora strut bar, FXR HID conversion, M3 Mirror conversion, BSW stage 1 speakers

Quote Originally Posted by Sockethead View Post
    It's the fuel pump... very common in the e53
    thanks for the confirmation. any idea who makes a good fuel pump?
    John||2005 BMW 330i ZHP||1995 Chevrolet Camaro 3.4L||2008 Hummer H2 SUT|| @oltorf.the.destroyer

Quote Originally Posted by Oltorf View Post
    thanks for the confirmation. any idea who makes a good fuel pump?
    VDO

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Quote Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post
    VDO

thank you

thank you
    Anytime brother

Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

The new pump works! Thanks everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The new pump works! Thanks everyone.

Awesome. Love a successful repair.

peter

2004 330i ZHP
    2005 330iT ZHP
    2010 328iT M Sport

Glad to hear you are back on the road.
    2005 IR / black / 6MT
    157,000 miles