Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Got my first SES light

As the title states I got my first service Engine Soon light.

Firstly, I think this is a good time to invest in a scan tool. From what I've seen in my searching, PA soft is the popular way to go. My issue with it is that i don't have a windows laptop, and honestly i don't really want to have to invest in another one just to use it for my zhp. I kind of prefer something along the lines of the Schwaben / Foxwell scanner. Does anyone on here use them, and if so, what are your thoughts? ECS was bombarding me with promos when they were on sale. I should have looked at them then.

Secondly Id really like to know what caused that SES to come up. I need to get an alignment so I'm going to have my indy look into it for me. The car had been sitting for a couple of weeks and we got hit with some bone-chillingly cold weather up here. I don't think that it would be something common like a crack in the intake boot as i believe i had that changed right after taking delivery of the car. The current boot should have just under 3k on it.

The car runs and drive perfectly (except for that need for an alignment). A couple of weeks ago in warmer weather I took it out gave it a good wash. I revved it up little bit and noticed after it had warmed up that the exhaust was making a VERY VERY subtle burble. Today with the light on, it wasn't. No burble as the revs were decreasing. Anyone have any idea?

Joe

I would take it to an advanced auto parts for a free code scan until you figure out which way you want to go with the scanner

2004 Titansilber Metallic BMW 330i ZHP

Quote Originally Posted by JPMo View Post
    I would take it to an advanced auto parts for a free code scan until you figure out which way you want to go with the scanner
    Yep. Mine lets me “check it out” by leaving my DL.

I would take it to anywhere but advanced auto parts for a free code scan until you figure out which way you want to go with the scanner
    Fixed.

OP you can buy one of the nicer scanning tools and they do have their perks. But to be honest, I've been using a really cheap scan tool that I bought for $30 8 years ago. All it does is plug into my OBDII port, do a scan and reports the code. I just look up the codes online and see what the mean.

If you say the car feels fine, then it might be something simple like a vacuum leak somewhere. But then again there are so many engine codes you won't know until you pull the code. Report back and we can help you figure it out.
    2005 Jet Black 6MT ZHP "Family First"
    ~Rob~

Plus SES cld be just a maintenance/miles thing where it's just time for an inspection w nothing wrong.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Randeaux/Rando/John/jr - '06 Cic ZHP; Southern California
    "ZHP or not, I still like you"

ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV, Anthracite Black "my individual" interior trim
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Suspension: AST 44100 dampers, Bimmerworld front adjustable end links, Swift springs (8K front, 10K rear), Vorshlag camber plates
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors
    Note: Actual car no longer resembles signature picture

Quote Originally Posted by Newjack View Post
    Fixed.

OP you can buy one of the nicer scanning tools and they do have their perks. But to be honest, I've been using a really cheap scan tool that I bought for $30 8 years ago. All it does is plug into my OBDII port, do a scan and reports the code. I just look up the codes online and see what the mean.

If you say the car feels fine, then it might be something simple like a vacuum leak somewhere. But then again there are so many engine codes you won't know until you pull the code. Report back and we can help you figure it out.
    Why not get a free scan at advanced auto in the meantime and get the ball rolling on diagnosis? Just curious.

Why not get a free scan at advanced auto in the meantime and get the ball rolling on diagnosis? Just curious.
    You could do that, I wasn't advocating not to. I just hate Advance Auto. Their employees are rarely ever helpful or friendly. The store never has the oil I need, they don't carry battery vent hoses or ever seem to be able to sell me anything other than shitty decals or leopard print steering wheel wraps. I got tired of wasting my time going to their store and leaving empty handed so I don't go there anymore.
    ~Rob~

Rob I don't think i have an advanced auto parts in my area. But it's ok. I really don't mind ponying up for a good reader. I bought this car for the long haul and want to get my hands dirty. But since the car stays in my parents garage I'm just gonna have my indy handle this one.

John, I was wondering if these cars trigger the SES light with milestones. Is that true?

Quote Originally Posted by Newjack View Post
    You could do that, I wasn't advocating not to. I just hate Advance Auto. Their employees are rarely ever helpful or friendly. The store never has the oil I need, they don't carry battery vent hoses or ever seem to be able to sell me anything other than shitty decals or leopard print steering wheel wraps. I got tired of wasting my time going to their store and leaving empty handed so I don't go there anymore.
    Hahaha cant say I disagree with anything you said there, but their detail section introduced me to the lifestyle. The meguiars products they carry had my old Mitsubishi Lancer looking right

Quote Originally Posted by joeybananaz18 View Post
    Rob I don't think i have an advanced auto parts in my area. But it's ok. I really don't mind ponying up for a good reader. I bought this car for the long haul and want to get my hands dirty. But since the car stays in my parents garage I'm just gonna have my indy handle this one.

John, I was wondering if these cars trigger the SES light with milestones. Is that true?
    Nah these cars don't have any SES lights for milestones. If you have an SES light you car has detected a problem and is trying to tell you.

Hahaha cant say I disagree with anything you said there, but their detail section introduced me to the lifestyle. The meguiars products they carry had my old Mitsubishi Lancer looking right
    Yeah they have a few detail products that are alright, but once you discover detailers domain and some other sites online, I never went back to Advance.
    ~Rob~

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast