Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by papa_g View Post
    Isn't it normal to go through sets of pads on one rotor? Or do the BMW performance rotors wear a lot faster than normal?
    I had 1 set of rotors. Several sets of pads.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Sorry Dane, I meant 2 sets of pads. I edited my last post. What I will do is measure my rotors one of these days to see if they are above minimum thickness. If not, I'll just order a whole new set, front and back, of pads, rotors and sensors. Steel brake lines i will leave for another day, as I literally just flushed my brakes, unless you guys think its ok to pump out the fluid I just put in and pour it back in once i put on new steel lines?? (I am assuming not, but hey, worth a shot)

I definitely would avoid that, Papa_G. It's just not worth the risk of contamination over $7 to $16 worth of brake fluid. I would just chalk it up to a little waste and not try to re-use it. It wouldn't take much fluid to replace what is lost from the line swap and then just bleed off your brakes and top up your master cylinder. I actually just got in some stainless lines, and I ran to O'Reilly and picked up a combo pack of rubber vacuum caps for less than $4. I was using the tips from a rubber glove and a small o-ring, but it gets slick and hard to manage. The rubber vacuum caps can be quickly placed on the line for minimal loss during the swap. Also, if you use a stick or something to hold down the brake pedal, you won't get much leakage anyway.

I went with ECS tuning steel lines. They look good.

Salty
    __________________________________________________ _____
    2005 BMW 330Ci ZHP Jet Black/Black with aluminum cube
    Bone stock at the moment

Quote Originally Posted by SaltyNC View Post
    I definitely would avoid that, Papa_G. It's just not worth the risk of contamination over $7 to $16 worth of brake fluid. I would just chalk it up to a little waste and not try to re-use it. It wouldn't take much fluid to replace what is lost from the line swap and then just bleed off your brakes and top up your master cylinder. I actually just got in some stainless lines, and I ran to O'Reilly and picked up a combo pack of rubber vacuum caps for less than $4. I was using the tips from a rubber glove and a small o-ring, but it gets slick and hard to manage. The rubber vacuum caps can be quickly placed on the line for minimal loss during the swap. Also, if you use a stick or something to hold down the brake pedal, you won't get much leakage anyway.

I went with ECS tuning steel lines. They look good.

Salty
    Salty to the rescue! That is actually some very valuable information. If I am going to lose minimal fluid, then I am all for changing the lines right now. I actually still have a good amount of ATE gold left over from my flush, so I would be set! Did you get the dorman caps? I bought a 4 pack and used one to replace the old worn out bigger vacuum cap on the back of the intake manifold.

Quote Originally Posted by papa_g View Post
    Salty to the rescue! That is actually some very valuable information. If I am going to lose minimal fluid, then I am all for changing the lines right now. I actually still have a good amount of ATE gold left over from my flush, so I would be set! Did you get the dorman caps? I bought a 4 pack and used one to replace the old worn out bigger vacuum cap on the back of the intake manifold.
    Yep, 8 count Dorman rubber caps for $3.69. The hard line connection is small so you need one of the smaller caps. When I replaced my calipers yesterday, it dripped about one drop per second without the brake pedal being pressed. I would guess I lost no more than half a shot glass of brake fluid even futzing around with the rubber glove fingertip and o-ring tourniquet I made. Very minimal loss. And it won't take much to bleed the new lines. They hold practically nothing because the inside diameter is so small. My new ECS steel lines are 3.2mm ID, so we're talking about a teaspoon of brake fluid to fill that line. Of course, bleeding will burn through a little bit of fluid, but not much.

Salty
    __________________________________________________ _____
    2005 BMW 330Ci ZHP Jet Black/Black with aluminum cube
    Bone stock at the moment

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123