Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by papa_g View Post
    Got my alignment. I asked them to check brakes and suspension, and they told me the car was "pad slapped", which basically means new pads were put on without putting on new rotors which were needed as well. I know very little about brakes, but and Indy BMW shop in San Francisco said the brakes were fine. Also, my friends and I don't see anything wrong with the rotors. Long story short, they tried to quote me $1,600 to do all the brakes, and rear control arms and nothing was solved.
    You don't always need to replace your rotors when you replace brake pads. Honestly it's good practice to replace both pads and rotors at the same time but it is absolutely not necessary. If your rotors still have enough thickness and don't look warped when you spin them, they are fine.

Also don't listen to Firestone, they are probably trying to sell you a bunch of shit you don't need. If your car was inspected by a BMW tech I would trust them before Firestone.

Doesn't sound like they checked your sway bar bushings, so I'm not surprised the issue is still there.
    2005 Jet Black 6MT ZHP "Family First"
    ~Rob~

Yeah it's a real shame. Almost disrespectful I would say. I went through the hassle of describing my issue to them, telling them my opinions, my findings, and hoped they could at least check some of the obvious culprits. And they throw some completely unrelated shit at me. My brakes don't squeel, rumble, shudder or anything under any kind of braking, and I explained this to them. It's only the last inch of movement before complete halt that you hear a sound, and if you listen closely, it sounds like it's coming from the suspension.

Yeah it's a real shame. Almost disrespectful I would say. I went through the hassle of describing my issue to them, telling them my opinions, my findings, and hoped they could at least check some of the obvious culprits. And they throw some completely unrelated shit at me. My brakes don't squeel, rumble, shudder or anything under any kind of braking, and I explained this to them. It's only the last inch of movement before complete halt that you hear a sound, and if you listen closely, it sounds like it's coming from the suspension.
    Find a good shop around your area. Look up reviews or speak to someone on the forums here or E46f who can give you a good recommendation. Take your car there, explain the situation and see what they find. I've done most jobs on the car myself (with help from the forums here and from forum members) but sometimes I either don't have the tools or the time to get a job done and I take it to my mechanic.
    ~Rob~

Quote Originally Posted by Newjack View Post
    Find a good shop around your area. Look up reviews or speak to someone on the forums here or E46f who can give you a good recommendation. Take your car there, explain the situation and see what they find. I've done most jobs on the car myself (with help from the forums here and from forum members) but sometimes I either don't have the tools or the time to get a job done and I take it to my mechanic.
    Agreed. I want to do this on my own if I am going to be honest. It seems too simple to hand off to someone else. I'll just find the time to get underneath the car one day and inspect every bushing. Could be something as simple as greasing up an old bushing and putting it back on.
    I do think I will do the full brake job in the near future though. Do you have a preference when it comes to rotor/pad combination? I've done a but of reading and it seems with reduced dusting you get less initial bite.

Agreed. I want to do this on my own if I am going to be honest. It seems too simple to hand off to someone else. I'll just find the time to get underneath the car one day and inspect every bushing. Could be something as simple as greasing up an old bushing and putting it back on.
    I do think I will do the full brake job in the near future though. Do you have a preference when it comes to rotor/pad combination? I've done a but of reading and it seems with reduced dusting you get less initial bite.
    I like performance. When I press the brake pedal I want to feel my car stop immediately, so I kept the BMW stock pads. They dust like a bastard but it's worth it for me. Ceramic are a thousand times cleaner and less dusty, but they don't bite as hard or stop as quick. It all depends on what you want out of your brakes and the driving you do. Only get track pads if you actually track the car, otherwise they will be loud as shit and won't work well until they get nice and hot.

I'm running centric slotted rotors and stop tech stainless steel brake lines. Overall very happy with my setup.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
    ~Rob~

You don't always need to replace your rotors when you replace brake pads. Honestly it's good practice to replace both pads and rotors at the same time but it is absolutely not necessary. If your rotors still have enough thickness and don't look warped when you spin them, they are fine.

Also don't listen to Firestone, they are probably trying to sell you a bunch of shit you don't need. If your car was inspected by a BMW tech I would trust them before Firestone.

Doesn't sound like they checked your sway bar bushings, so I'm not surprised the issue is still there.
    I went through 2 sets of pads on the BMW Performance Rotors.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Quote Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post

OP just remember that not everyone here can be as cool as Dane Wilson - He is truly one of a kind
    ~Rob~

I like performance. When I press the brake pedal I want to feel my car stop immediately, so I kept the BMW stock pads. They dust like a bastard but it's worth it for me. Ceramic are a thousand times cleaner and less dusty, but they don't bite as hard or stop as quick. It all depends on what you want out of your brakes and the driving you do. Only get track pads if you actually track the car, otherwise they will be loud as shit and won't work well until they get nice and hot.

I'm running centric slotted rotors and stop tech stainless steel brake lines. Overall very happy with my setup.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
    +1 @slater and I were just talking about this last week. You really cannot beat the initial bite that the OE pads have. You pay for it in dust, but that bite is part of the package that makes the BMW driving dynamics stand out.

Quote Originally Posted by ZHPizza View Post
    +1 @slater and I were just talking about this last week. You really cannot beat the initial bite that the OE pads have. You pay for it in dust, but that bite is part of the package that makes the BMW driving dynamics stand out.
    amen, brother!
    peter

2004 330i ZHP
    2005 330iT ZHP
    2010 328iT M Sport

Quote Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post

Isn't it normal to go through 2 sets of pads on one rotor? Or do the BMW performance rotors wear a lot faster than normal?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast