Quote Originally Posted by slater View Post
curious to see what you find - please post pics if you can!
sounds like a good plan. i'm also guilty of "while i'm in there" - it's a double-edged sword, for sure. if you have the means, it's worth it for the time savings. but there is definitely a fine line of going to far.

re: the oil control rings... are you just going to replace them with new OE M54 rings? i'm not aware of an aftermarket solution.
I'll post some photos as I get them, I've always enjoyed perusing the forums and appreciate those who include photos with their posts. I figure I'll start a new project thread when I do.

In regards to the oil control rings, I'm still undecided. But, it seems like new OE rings would be most cost effective for the goal of a refreshed daily-driver that provides peace-of-mind. I've noticed the same thing you've mentioned, options appear limited to new pistons with rings and conrods (e.g. CP or JE and Arrow or Carillo). Seems kind of excessive to replace pistons (~$1000-1100) and rods (~$1100) to fix the oil consumption issues known of the m54. At those prices I'd rather rebuild my s14 to get that thing running.

Quote Originally Posted by Sockethead
Most of the work in rebuilding the engine is going to be the head/cams, setting up the timing, etc. by the time you have all of that off, it's not going to be that much more work to replace the rings and bearings (which myself, I would do because it would bug the shit out of me that I was that far into the engine without doing that) The end result is peace of mind of a completely refreshed motor that runs great and should last a very long time
Agreed. Besides the machining work and timing, it appears that the rest would be relatively straight forward "wrenching," and adhering to torque/torque+angle, and clearance parameters. For the top end, I'm thinking at a minimum valve job and new valve seals (in addition to machining), and for the bottom end: rings, rod bearings, rod bolts (if they aren't spec'd to be reused), gaskets/seals at a minimum. I haven't read much about the main bearings being an issue for the M54, I know they're typically not a problem in the s54.

Right now, my plan is first to pull the engine and start disassembly. Then inspection for cracks and measurement of straightness (head and block), as well as continued research for options and solutions (e.g. machining, tolerances, torque specs, parts). Also, I'd like to find a machine shop in southern California (Orange County, specifically, but would venture out to LA County) that has experience with BMW heads/blocks (ideally with the m54).

As always, I'm open to your perspectives as well as any guidance and advice from your experience.