Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Xtrons PB7646BAP Android 6.0 Head Unit

I figured I'd start a string about this unit since a few of us have them now, and we all seem to have had good experiences so far. This won't however be a super technically detailed play by play of the install and all of the unit's functions/options, if that's what you're looking for then BP's review is below, which is excellent.

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showt...113#post548113

I bought mine through Amazon for $290, it arrived on time a week later.
    Xtrons PB7646BAP
    https://www.amazon.com/XTRONS-Octa-C.../dp/B01MY9YHIB

You'll want to purchase a 90 degree antenna cable for the install, or else the unit won't fully seat in the hole and will stick out, due to the ducting behind the unit. I got mine off Amazon for $10
    Universal Antenna Extension Cable
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Along with those two items you will also need the mounting bracket to relocate your climate control unit (unless you already had NAV). This is the kicker, it's $150...which is ridiculous. But, you have to have it for everything to look right. I purchased this through ECS Tuning as it was the cheapest one I could find.
    Radio Mounting Bracket
    https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...t/51167001410/

Disclaimer: I am not a tech wiz and electronics are NOT my thing. The below is my own experience with the unit and the install, from a very novice standpoint.

Overall the install went super smooth, and I couldn't be happier with the results! I did this in my driveway in a couple hours, using only a Phillips head screwdriver and a couple trim tools. You'll have to remove the shifter plate, both dash brackets and the dash cube trim. The top inner bracket requires you to remove the center vents, which you sort of just yank up on. It'll make a sound like you broke something, but you didn't. Then after that you just plug in the harness and antenna cable, position all of the wiring above or to the sides of the unit, and shove her on in! The one thing I thought was odd is there are only two mounting screws at the very top corners of the unit. So you'll have to put some pressure on it when you tighten everything down to assure the bottom sucks up tight. It's slightly different than the stock radio's attachment points.

One thing I will say is make sure you connect the CANBUS box to the correct wiring harness! The kit comes with two main harnesses, then a bunch of small RCA/USB connections for every type of accessory in the world. It's clear that only one of the main harnesses will plug into your car, and on mine the CANBUS box was plugged into the other harness, so I assumed it was part of that one. Until I got everything installed and my steering wheel controls didn't work, and the buttons on the unit didn't illuminate. I went back and read BP's review and realized the error, and realized the CANBUS box plugs into either harness. So I pulled it all back out of the dash, plugged in the controller box and boom...it worked perfect! The one difficult part of the install was where to hide all of the wires/harnesses, you'll have to get creative. And you must have the 90 degree antenna connector, it's crucial! If you don't the standard cable will hit the ducting behind the unit and it will not fit flush. Once installed with all of the wiring out of the way, it should fit snugly into the dash and the contours should all line up perfectly with your dash.

The unit functions great and the fitment is excellent. The unit powers on immediately after startup with zero lag, to whatever screen you were on when the car shut off. The touchscreen is very responsive and the interface is straight forward and very user friendly, you can also download different ones if you choose. Changing radio stations is lightning fast, it's crazy actually. The buttons illuminate orange which will perfectly match the rest of the interior. Once you originally pair your phone to the device, the Bluetooth will connect automatically when you turn the unit on. I don't have a backup camera, but the unit thinks I do, so when I put the car in reverse the screen would just go black and the sound would cut out. I eventually found the setting to turn that off, it's buried deep in the "other" section. Although the description of that particular setting doesn't specify "backup camera", so you'll have to hunt for it. Also, the "user manual" is pure crap. It tells you nothing, so don't expect to get any direction from it.

In BP's write-up he had two complaints, the buttons feeling mushy and the screen glare. I can attest to the screen glare, it's absurd, the unit is pretty hard to see in the daylight. All you see is the rear window reflection off the screen face, so I'm currently looking for an anti-glare screen to cut to size and apply. Sure looks great at night though. And they must've fixed the mushy button issue, because mine feel great, nice solid click feeling when you press them. Feels great to me. Unit was packaged nicely, overall quality seems to be very good, I was pleasantly surprised and have been very satisfied so far.

Last edited by Cadeez; 02-21-2018 at 04:11 PM.
    2016 BMW M340i

BMW CCA Member . Dinan Stage 1 Software . Dinan 3.5" Exhaust . Dinan CAI & Turbo Inlet . VSRF Charge Pipe . H&R Sport Springs . CF: Front Splitter, Rear Valance, Trunk Spoiler, Roof Spoiler, M3 Mirror Covers . BMW Performance pedals . Gloss black ///M kidneys . 12mm F / 15mm R BMS Spacers. NGK 94201 Plugs .

2013 BMW X5 M-Sport - Sold
    2009 550i M-Sport - Sold
    2006 650i Vert - Sold
    2004 330i ZHP - Dead
    2001 330i Sport - Sold
    2004 330i ZHP - Sold
    1999 E36 M3 - Sold

Nice! Glad to hear you're liking it!

Thanks for the review and the list of items. This purchase is in the near future for me.

His - 2004 Imola Red / Alcantara 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

Her's - 2005 Black Sapphire Metallic / Black Leather 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

BP switched from this to an Avin Avant 3

Quote Originally Posted by Vas View Post
    Thanks for the review and the list of items. This purchase is in the near future for me.
    You bet. It's worth the $450 (all in), makes me smile every time I get in the car now

Quote Originally Posted by derbo View Post
    Already?? He just got his in late Nov! Either way, his review is still solid. And I love this unit so far
    2016 BMW M340i

BMW CCA Member . Dinan Stage 1 Software . Dinan 3.5" Exhaust . Dinan CAI & Turbo Inlet . VSRF Charge Pipe . H&R Sport Springs . CF: Front Splitter, Rear Valance, Trunk Spoiler, Roof Spoiler, M3 Mirror Covers . BMW Performance pedals . Gloss black ///M kidneys . 12mm F / 15mm R BMS Spacers. NGK 94201 Plugs .

2013 BMW X5 M-Sport - Sold
    2009 550i M-Sport - Sold
    2006 650i Vert - Sold
    2004 330i ZHP - Dead
    2001 330i Sport - Sold
    2004 330i ZHP - Sold
    1999 E36 M3 - Sold

For those that are interested, there is an option to use a USB Dongle to enable Apple Carplay.

there is more information here:

https://forum.xda-developers.com/and...droid-t3647996

Quote Originally Posted by derbo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cadeez View Post
    Already?? He just got his in late Nov! Either way, his review is still solid. And I love this unit so far
    Don't mistake my switching for not being happy with the Xtrons. I really do like this unit and wouldn't have had an issue keeping it.
    But, I got a killer deal on an Avant 3 in exchange for me writing up some documentation for them, so I couldn't refuse.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Quote Originally Posted by az3579 View Post
    Don't mistake my switching for not being happy with the Xtrons. I really do like this unit and wouldn't have had an issue keeping it.
    But, I got a killer deal on an Avant 3 in exchange for me writing up some documentation for them, so I couldn't refuse.
    Where's that review?

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCurves View Post
    Where's that review?
    whenever he feels like it :P

He's waiting for AVIN to send him the review.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast