Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wheel bearing?

Wheel bearing?

I have a slight noise at certain speeds (~40mph) on specific roads. Likely will be tough to capture the noise on video as it's not very loud, but it's a "ruh-ruh-ruh" sort of noise that lasts a second or two. Unclear where the noise is coming from. Not audible under braking, and I can sometimes produce the noise by subtlety adding a bit of throttle (i.e. +2%) or breathing out of the throttle from the ~40mph cruising speed.

A tech who rode with me was confident it was tires. Just got some new tires (Firehawk Indy 500s) and the noise is still there. Any ideas?

Update with video of noise - easiest to hear b/w 4 and 6 seconds into the video.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2uL...ature=youtu.be
    Last edited by nsk040; 03-05-2018 at 04:59 PM.

My money would be on driveshaft center bearing.

×2 to what Maddman said. Driveshaft center support bearing.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

-Brettski

The odd thing is that the noise has been the same for the past year or so...hasn't gotten worse as far as I can tell.

How tough is this as a DIY?

Thanks guys.

It sounds like the noise is coming from pretty far back in the car. How far back/rearward is the driveshaft support bearing? All the pics/diagrams I can find are zoomed in too much for me to figure out general location.

Do you experience any vibration when you accelerate in certain RPM bands? That's usually a symptom of the CSB, as well. Don't ask me how I know. :-( I will be doing the CSB in the next few weeks. The center support bearing is close to the middle of the car overall. You have to separate the driveshaft to replace the CSB. You can do it with the exhaust dropped partially, but it may be easier to just remove the exhaust completely. Heat shield will need to be removed. While in there, it would be a no-brainer to also replace the guibo (flex disc). Also, the drive shaft needs to be marked, so you can put it back the same exact way to keep it in balance. You'll need a bearing puller, and some large sockets or bearing push set to get the new one back on. Some people run into problems trying to remove the exhaust hardware due to corrosion, so you have to be prepared for that.

Sallty
    __________________________________________________ _____
    2005 BMW 330Ci ZHP Jet Black/Black with aluminum cube
    Bone stock at the moment

Here is a video where I think you can see the approx location of the CSB.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8E5Mg9MX7C8
    Bone stock at the moment

Bone stock at the moment

Thanks for the link. My sense is that the noise is actually coming from a bit further back than the CSB, however the acoustics may deceptive.

It's more of a noise than a vibration. It happens around 40-45 mph, and I can duplicate the noise in several gears so engine speed is not a factor. It comes and goes at that speed and only ever lasts for ~1-2 seconds at time. Breathing slightly into/out of the throttle tends to produce it, however it also can be heard periodically during constant speed/throttle cruising.

Based on that link, is it fair to think a shop would bill and hour or so for this?

Probably best to do transmission mounts at the same time in addition to the flex disc?

I'd check your rear diff mount. If it's really shot, it could transfer gear whine to the cabin. The rear diff mount is a common failure point
    Dinan CAI &Throttle body, ESS Tuning TS2, Bimmerbrakes gen3 headers, UUC SSK & DSSR. Achilles oil pump, VAC oil pan baffle
    M3 Motor mounts, UUC Trans mounts, Modified clutch style LSD 3.15, TMS front subframe reinforcement, Koni Yellow sports,
    H&R sport springs,
    UUC sway bars, BMW Perf. Rotors, UUC SS brake lines, Hawk HPS pads, CSL replica wheels,
    Rotora strut bar, FXR HID conversion, M3 Mirror conversion, BSW stage 1 speakers

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast