Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wheel bearing?

Rear diff mounts were inspected by the tech when the car was up on a lift and he said it was. I think there were 2 mounts, but could only have been 1.

I'd think a ruh-ruh noise at 40 mph would not be driveshaft related. My reasoning is because at that speed the driveshaft is spinning much faster than ruh-ruh. A ruh-ruh noise would be more like 4 mph not 40. 40 would be more of a rrrrrr vibration. But who knows? Maybe harmonics plays a part.

When our old 4runner had a u-joint issue the sound was a Vrrrv vibration at about 60 mph.

Quote Originally Posted by nsk040 View Post
    Rear diff mounts were inspected by the tech when the car was up on a lift and he said it was. I think there were 2 mounts, but could only have been 1.
    The diff has 3 mounts, two in the front and one in the rear. the rear one has the high failure rate...
    Dinan CAI &Throttle body, ESS Tuning TS2, Bimmerbrakes gen3 headers, UUC SSK & DSSR. Achilles oil pump, VAC oil pan baffle
    M3 Motor mounts, UUC Trans mounts, Modified clutch style LSD 3.15, TMS front subframe reinforcement, Koni Yellow sports,
    H&R sport springs,
    UUC sway bars, BMW Perf. Rotors, UUC SS brake lines, Hawk HPS pads, CSL replica wheels,
    Rotora strut bar, FXR HID conversion, M3 Mirror conversion, BSW stage 1 speakers

My Indy suggested to replace the rear differential bushing. He said it requires 4.5 hours of labor. He also recommended a poly bushing.

He didn’t said there are 2 other bushings in there. Thoughts about going with a poly one ?
    2005 IR / black / 6MT
    157,000 miles

Updated with actual video of noise. Most audible b/w 4 and 6 seconds into the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2uL...ature=youtu.be

Wheel bearings are easy to diagnose. If the noise goes away when you turn hard one way or the other, it's likely a wheel bearing. Another easy way to test it is jack up the car and spin it by hand with the tire off. You'll hear it if it's bad.

Firehawks arent "quiet" tires. It could just be the tread. Great grip though.

Check out my youtube channel for all kinds of E46 DIY's
    http://www.youtube.com/user/flipfinish?feature=mhee
    Check out my BMW Blog
    http://smolckbmw.blogspot.com/
    Follow me on twitter @smolck

Quote Originally Posted by fredo View Post
    My Indy suggested to replace the rear differential bushing. He said it requires 4.5 hours of labor. He also recommended a poly bushing.

He didn’t said there are 2 other bushings in there. Thoughts about going with a poly one ?
    I went with lemforder when I replaced mine. I didn’t want the NVH to get worse...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2006 Coupe | Black Sapphire Metallic | Natural Brown | Gruppe M Intake | Corsa TSE3 | Michelin PSS on Apex ARC-8 | Koni Yellows |

The noise doesn't vary based on lateral load, as one would think a bad wheel bearing would.

The noise is the same after the new tires vs. before so I don't think its the new tires.

Quote Originally Posted by nsk040 View Post
    The noise doesn't vary based on lateral load, as one would think a bad wheel bearing would.

The noise is the same after the new tires vs. before so I don't think its the new tires.
    Just saw you posted a video (missed that part last night). That sound doesn't sound like wheel bearings or tires to me. Tough to diagnose that one over the web.....

Check out my youtube channel for all kinds of E46 DIY's
    http://www.youtube.com/user/flipfinish?feature=mhee
    Check out my BMW Blog
    http://smolckbmw.blogspot.com/
    Follow me on twitter @smolck

I think it would be worth inspecting the entire driveshaft (flex disc, center support bearing, universal joint, etc). This is all just speculation, but it's like the suspension is flexing as you drive over an uneven surface (an ordinary road), and that is what explains the intermittent nature of the noise. It sounds rotational, but not constant. I can imagine that driveshaft flexing against a worn center support bearing and making that noise at the lowest position of the driveshaft, and then as the driveshaft returns to its natural resting point, the noise goes away.

Or I could be full of it. ;-)

Salty
    __________________________________________________ _____
    2005 BMW 330Ci ZHP Jet Black/Black with aluminum cube
    Bone stock at the moment

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast