Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Wheel bearing?

The shop suspected it was the left rear wheel bearing, but wasn't overly confident. I agree that the noise is coming from further back in the car, and from the left side so I'm thinking it isn't driveshaft-related. How bad is the rear wheel bearing DIY assuming I get the right bearing puller tool(s)?

Quote Originally Posted by nsk040 View Post
    The shop suspected it was the left rear wheel bearing, but wasn't overly confident. I agree that the noise is coming from further back in the car, and from the left side so I'm thinking it isn't driveshaft-related. How bad is the rear wheel bearing DIY assuming I get the right bearing puller tool(s)?
    Vas?

Quote Originally Posted by ELCID86 View Post
    Vas?
    I only did the front wheel bearings. Rear ones don't usually fail.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

His - 2004 Imola Red / Alcantara 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

Her's - 2005 Black Sapphire Metallic / Black Leather 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

Quote Originally Posted by Vas View Post
    I only did the front wheel bearings. Rear ones don't usually fail.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    Gotcha. Do you think it’s the same procedure to do the rears?

Update: I've had 2 shops look at it. Both seemed a bit less than 50% confident that it was a left rear wheel bearing. I don't think it's a wheel bearing b/c 1) the noise isn't a "drone", 2) it isn't impacted by lateral load, and 3) it is sometimes not audible for a few seconds but then it will come back - if it was a wheel bearing I would think the noise would be pretty constant at a given speed.

The rear wheel bearing replacement is a bit more complicated than the front as you have to deal with the drive shafts - seems to be quoted at ~3 hours/side.

Ugh.

Update? I got the wah wah wah noise. Replaced one front wheel hub - I think it is less now. The other front wheel bearing?

My noise was a rear wheel bearing. I wasn't very confident in the diagnosis (neither was the shop) but it turned out to be right. Slight lateral load didn't impact the noise, however higher, sustained load (i.e. smooth on-ramp) did impact the noise. I only tested it under milder load so I had convinced myself it probably wasn't a wheel bearing.

Try putting the rear seats down to see if the noise gets louder. If not, at least you know your remaining noise issue is at the front end.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123