Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

URGENT CODING HELP! Car wont start anymore.

Hey guys,

I was doing some simple coding on my car using NCS expert (changing the SM module keyword AUT_SITZVERSTELLUNG = nach_fb_entriegeln). Everything was going fine when I suddenly heard faint popping sounds and the radio cut off for a few seconds.

And now my car wont start. I turn the key and I hear a few clicking sounds and the headlamps flash but the starter motor does not engage.

Did I mess something up while coding? Can I use NCS Expert to go back to factory defaults? Please help!
    anandoc

2004 330i auto | ZPP, ZCW | Schwarz 2 (668) | schwarz (N6SW)

aFe Stage-1 Pro DRY S intake | Morimoto FX-R 3.0 retrofit | ///M3 Seats (power, heat, bolster adj.) | ///M3 Strut Brace | ///M3 SMG Steering Wheel retrofit | OEM Alarm retrofit | GROM USB | Khoalty angel eyes

Quote Originally Posted by anandoc View Post
    Hey guys,

I was doing some simple coding on my car using NCS expert (changing the SM module keyword AUT_SITZVERSTELLUNG = nach_fb_entriegeln). Everything was going fine when I suddenly heard faint popping sounds and the radio cut off for a few seconds.

And now my car wont start. I turn the key and I hear a few clicking sounds and the headlamps flash but the starter motor does not engage.

Did I mess something up while coding? Can I use NCS Expert to go back to factory defaults? Please help!
    You should be able to read the module then write it with a blank .MAN file and reset it all to default values. Good luck. The symptoms you suggest sound like a low battery voltage though.

Update:

- Checked the voltage and it shows around 11.85V

- Here is a video of what happens when I try to start the car

anandoc

aFe Stage-1 Pro DRY S intake | Morimoto FX-R 3.0 retrofit | ///M3 Seats (power, heat, bolster adj.) | ///M3 Strut Brace | ///M3 SMG Steering Wheel retrofit | OEM Alarm retrofit | GROM USB | Khoalty angel eyes

Do what Derek said. Or, open NCS Expert in Expert Mode, read the module you messed up in, and do a SG CODIEREN on that module. It'll write factory defaults that way.

I usually do coding with the motor/alternator running, so in this case, charge the battery up some more with a charger.

Do a battery test with a tester - just because voltage is showing good doesn't mean it is good. Try unplugging it for 15 mins and reconnecting to see if that helps.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Thanks BP and Derek for chiming in.

A friend dropped by and I was able to jump start the car, proving that the battery had indeed gotten discharged to very low levels.

This was one of the scariest moments for me and I am glad that the worst case scenario did not occur. No more NCS Expert coding for me until I have access to a proper power source. Phew!
    anandoc

Quote Originally Posted by anandoc View Post
    Thanks BP and Derek for chiming in.

A friend dropped by and I was able to jump start the car, proving that the battery had indeed gotten discharged to very low levels.

This was one of the scariest moments for me and I am glad that the worst case scenario did not occur. No more NCS Expert coding for me until I have access to a proper power source. Phew!
    I always code with the engine running for this very reason.

BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

Quote Originally Posted by az3579 View Post

Yeah, but you can’t reflash the DME this way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    peter

2004 330i ZHP
    2005 330iT ZHP
    2010 328iT M Sport

Quote Originally Posted by az3579 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by slater View Post

For simple things like NCSexpert, ISTA+, Engine running is okay. I noticed the new F87 when i clear fault memory, it actually shuts the car off and sets ACC2 on its own now. No more waiting of the tech to do that now.

I'm in the market to buy a PSU with a 80A 14V setting since the new F cars require 80A up from the 70A from the E cars.

Quote Originally Posted by slater View Post

Yeah but he wasn't flashing his DME. lol

BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

Oh man sorry I didn't see this yesterday! I could have instantly told you that it was a drained battery as I did the same thing while sitting in the garage playing with my headunit. That speaker pop makes you think you fried the ECU!

Lesson learned - turn the radio off while coding and do it with the engine running if you're going to take more than 5 minutes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast