Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Tie rods (inner & outer) are cheap enough that I'd just as soon replace them when this shop does the alignment, can't hurt. Certainly not a big expense considering the other knucklers wanted a grand to replace the steering rack in a "shot in the dark" attempt to "maybe" solve the problem. Now it seems that nobody thinks that is the issue at all. I'll order the Febi-Bilstein pieces tonight. Will update once this all sorts out, thanks for everyone's input!

'21 M2 Competition
    '08 Z4 M Coupé
    '19 Golf R

Quote Originally Posted by SaltyNC View Post
    Man, that's a tough call. If the tie rod isn't bent, even if the ball joint in the inner tie rod was worn, it shouldn't cause enough slop to go so far out of alignment that it is visible from a prior proper alignment. The only other thing I can think of is if one of the control arms is slipping inside the poly bushing. Would that cause the control arm to pivot and change the toe alignment? The way the steering rack mounts, it would be highly unlikely the entire rack is shifting in any way.

Good luck, man. I'm out of ideas.

Salty
    agreed on the tie rod analysis. but for the poly bushing to allow to that much toe change, it would have to have a LOT of play in it - and that would make for some shimmy in the wheel.

as i said above, i think going back to OEM bushings for a baseline is a good idea too. no idea what poly bushings were used, so no idea of fitment or quality.
    peter

2004 330i ZHP
    2005 330iT ZHP
    2010 328iT M Sport

UPDATE! My car is still with my buddy in Vegas. Last week I ordered new tie rod assemblies from ECS. Yesterday he took it to an old-school alignment guy who was recommended by the BMW shop he last visited. Tie rods replaced on both sides, re-aligned, and.... she drives like a dream again. There was no obvious damage/bend detectable on the old tie rods, but.. whatever. He's done some extensive test driving and he says all the pull and bad behavior is gone. It's getting detailed today, and I'm going to list it for sale in the next couple of days, here and on Craigslist. I want to try to sell it from his place since he's in Vegas (Henderson) and I'm now way out in the sticks (75 miles SE of Tucson) where nobody is going to venture to see it.

The ZHP will be replaced by a new Suzuki V-Strom 650, and my Golf R will remain as my 4-wheel transportation. SO much nice area to ride & explore down here, and tons of perfect weather.. and so much safer than in a more urban/suburban environment, so I decided to buy my first bike in 35 years (no, I'm not 35 years old and this is my first - I had one 35 years ago that I sold in '83). I'm taking a 3-day class next weekend that includes 10 hours of seat time. That will qualify me for the motorcycle endorsement to my license without further testing. Getting super excited to do some serious riding.

'21 M2 Competition
    '08 Z4 M Coupé
    '19 Golf R

Quote Originally Posted by KevinC View Post
    UPDATE! My car is still with my buddy in Vegas. Last week I ordered new tie rod assemblies from ECS. Yesterday he took it to an old-school alignment guy who was recommended by the BMW shop he last visited. Tie rods replaced on both sides, re-aligned, and.... she drives like a dream again. There was no obvious damage/bend detectable on the old tie rods, but.. whatever. He's done some extensive test driving and he says all the pull and bad behavior is gone. It's getting detailed today, and I'm going to list it for sale in the next couple of days, here and on Craigslist. I want to try to sell it from his place since he's in Vegas (Henderson) and I'm now way out in the sticks (75 miles SE of Tucson) where nobody is going to venture to see it.

The ZHP will be replaced by a new Suzuki V-Strom 650, and my Golf R will remain as my 4-wheel transportation. SO much nice area to ride & explore down here, and tons of perfect weather.. and so much safer than in a more urban/suburban environment, so I decided to buy my first bike in 35 years (no, I'm not 35 years old and this is my first - I had one 35 years ago that I sold in '83). I'm taking a 3-day class next weekend that includes 10 hours of seat time. That will qualify me for the motorcycle endorsement to my license without further testing. Getting super excited to do some serious riding.
    Thanks for reporting back, I'm glad you got everything fixed on the ZHP and it was easy

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
    2005 Jet Black 6MT ZHP "Family First"
    ~Rob~

Awesome. Is it the MSF course? I can't remember how extensive that was.

Awesome. New owner is going to get a great riding car.

Quote Originally Posted by ZHPizza View Post
    Awesome. Is it the MSF course? I can't remember how extensive that was.
    Yes, MSF curriculum, by a local school. According to the local Suzuki dealer, it's a great course...

https://motorcycletraining.com/cours...-rider-course/

'21 M2 Competition
    '08 Z4 M Coupé
    '19 Golf R

Quote Originally Posted by KevinC View Post
    Yes, MSF curriculum, by a local school. According to the local Suzuki dealer, it's a great course...

https://motorcycletraining.com/cours...-rider-course/
    It really is. You'll learn some pretty cool stuff by the end of the course.

Well enjoy the new ride and we'll see you back here in a few years when you're looking to get back into a zhp!

Glad you got it sorted, Kevin. Good luck with your sale and hope you enjoy the new ride.

Salty
    __________________________________________________ _____
    2005 BMW 330Ci ZHP Jet Black/Black with aluminum cube
    Bone stock at the moment

^ditto. I was just in LV this week on vacation and had lunch with relatives in Henderson.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast