Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Need help determining my ZHP's actual value for insurance total loss

Sadly, I'm the former owner of an Orient Blue 2004 330CiC ZHP convertible, may she rest in peace. I was the second owner, acquiring it in April 2007. The first owner leased it for2 years 10 months & about 30k miles. It had not been abused.

It was a joy to drive. Twisty roads like the Back of the Dragon, Devil's Backbone, or Spearfish Canyon and numerous 2800+ mile cross-country trips for another 156k miles. I was planning on keeping it until... Friday night before New Year's an inattentive driver ran into the back end while I was stopped in a line of traffic waiting for a red light to change. Pushed me into the car in front & hit me at least twice before he gave up all his momentum!

I turned down the insurance company's first offer which was $8287. With the repair estimate of about $7400 an automatic total loss.

I came up with a group of eight "comparables". None were a complete match but a closer start than Audatex had used. Throwing out the overly ambitious high of $49K+ and the low, averaging the remaining six gave an average price of $14,300. I gave all of this to the insurance company along with side-by-side build list comparisons pulled from BMWVIN.com

The insurance company had an independent appraiser take a second look and magically came up with $10,900. Just over the 75% repair-to-value threshold for it not to be a total. But with electrical & mechanical unknowns not covered by the estimate, even if they came up several thousand, it's still a total.

I really don't believe in coincidences. Plus, none of the "comparables" they used had the "high performance" option, much less the rest of the package! I have VINs and side-by-side comparisons for all but one "comparable" used in both valuations. Mine had all the extras except nav & CD changer. High Performance package including engine mods & ZHP only exhaust system, Premium package (leather, Harman Kardon sound system), Cold Weather package (heated seats & mirrors, headlight washers), Hot Climate option, M sport suspension mods, M series aero package, M sport steering wheel, adaptive self-leveling Xenon headlights, big wide staggered 18 inch option M series alloy wheels & new Michelin tires, speed sensitive power steering.... I wasn't going to race it and bought it BECAUSE it had everything that an M3 had except the big engine. It was my daily driver & I even WANTED the automatic transmission for Atlanta, Phoenix, Washington DC type traffic! Comfortable! Handled great!! Quicker than it needed to be for streets or open roads!!!

It was well maintained and that's documented in the Carfax report pulled by the appraiser. Almost all of the maintenance and repairs were documented there. I have all the records from my ownership period.

There was no consideration in either appraisal that it was one of the few (hundred??) 2004 ZHP convertibles built. Rare and getting rarer by the day! They did add a bit for the "performance" option as if you could add that to a generic 330 convertible and turn it into a ZHP.

Should I pretend I'm happy with their check for $10,900 plus taxes or get another appraisal? I've already cashed the check but have reserved the right to have my own appraisal. I have until March 15th to get it done if I go that route. I used up some time acquiring something to drive.

If the consensus is that it's worth spending $$ on my own appraisal, any recommendations on an appraiser familiar with ZHPs, likely to have a higher opinion of what they are really worth, and willing to work with the insurance company's independent appraiser?

Any and all help appreciated!!

BTW, I enjoyed the ZHP is nothing special video!

Sorry for your loss - it’s sad to see another rare blue one go.

They probably considered your high mileage (156K) and Auto transmission as factors - the offer is considerably higher than a run of the mill 330.

I don’t think an insurance company is going to factor the ‘rarity’ - sadly, it’s just another BMW to them, unless you specifically call out the ZHP on the policy.

I know it doesn’t necessarily make up for your maintenance and history, but there are a few out there - or maybe sieze the opportunity for Imola?

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invent...ting=197243850

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invent...ting=190064626
    2006 330Cic | Monaco Blue on Natural Brown | 6MT ZHP ZPP ZCP NAVI

for the mileage you had, i'd be happy with $10,900.

buy another ZHP.
    peter

2004 330i ZHP
    2005 330iT ZHP
    2010 328iT M Sport

Quote Originally Posted by slater View Post

buy another ZHP.
    +1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2006 Coupe | Black Sapphire Metallic | Natural Brown | Gruppe M Intake | Corsa TSE3 | Michelin PSS on Apex ARC-8 | Koni Yellows |

I think your insurance company has treated you very well. $10,900 is very reasonable. IMHO, no
    need to spend more time / efforts / aggravation on a 2nd appraisal.
    2005 IR / black / 6MT
    157,000 miles

Take the $10,900 check.

His - 2004 Imola Red / Alcantara 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

Her's - 2005 Black Sapphire Metallic / Black Leather 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

The one I bought for my son is a coupe and not a convertible, but it had 156K, auto transmission, but was a 2005 with facelift. I paid $6500 for it. I'd take the 10 grand and run.

Salty
    __________________________________________________ _____
    2005 BMW 330Ci ZHP Jet Black/Black with aluminum cube
    Bone stock at the moment

10 grand for one with (if I did the math correctly) 186k miles? They're practically offering you almost double its value...
    Take the money and run.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Quote Originally Posted by az3579 View Post
    10 grand for one with (if I did the math correctly) 186k miles? They're practically offering you almost double its value...
    Take the money and run.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by slater View Post

buy another ZHP.
    Quote Originally Posted by san View Post
    +1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by fredo View Post
    I think your insurance company has treated you very well. $10,900 is very reasonable. IMHO, no
    need to spend more time / efforts / aggravation on a 2nd appraisal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vas View Post
    Take the $10,900 check.
    Quote Originally Posted by az3579 View Post
    Take the money and run.
    This

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast