Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Chugging water and rough idle

Hey all, I just got a SES light recently, a few days after I noticed my car had drank all the water/coolant. It's also rough idling at RPMs lower than usual (500 vs 1k), needs a bit more gas at lower RPMs, and MPG took a slight hit.

Passed by Autozone (my obd2 reader shipment got delayed) and they gave me the following codes: P0305, P2240

Any ideas? Was going to take a 3.5 hour trip to Killington this weekend but not sure whether to trust it

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

weird. P0305 is a misfire code... that would explain the rough idle. it's either a bad plug or a bad coil pack. without the scanner it's tough to troubleshoot, because with it you could see what cylinder is misfiring and then move that coilpack to another cylinder and see if the misfire follows.

the coolant loss is another issue though. based on that, i would not take the car on a road trip until you get it sorted out.
    peter

2004 330i ZHP
    2005 330iT ZHP
    2010 328iT M Sport

I got a print out from autozone, it says cylinder 5. I just had never heard of having to replace an ignition coil in one of these cars so wanted a second opinion.

I'd guess the coolant loss is from running lean because of code P2240 (oxygen sensor malfunction) but it's not burning oil at all. To be fair it only ran down on coolant once, I've managed to keep it at a decent level since I noticed the problem

Quote Originally Posted by hickatew View Post
    I got a print out from autozone, it says cylinder 5. I just had never heard of having to replace an ignition coil in one of these cars so wanted a second opinion.

I'd guess the coolant loss is from running lean because of code P2240 (oxygen sensor malfunction) but it's not burning oil at all. To be fair it only ran down on coolant once, I've managed to keep it at a decent level since I noticed the problem

coolant loss will be from a leak; you should see traces underhood.

coils do go bad, i've had to replace two over the years. since you know it's cyl #5, move that ignition coil to, say, #1.... run the car, scan it, and see if the misfire follows to #1. if you haven't replaced your spark plugs, that would also be a good thing to do.
    peter

2004 330i ZHP
    2005 330iT ZHP
    2010 328iT M Sport

Quote Originally Posted by hickatew View Post
    Definitely go bad. I’d recommend doing the set. Go OEM.

Quote Originally Posted by slater View Post
    coolant loss will be from a leak; you should see traces underhood.

coils do go bad, i've had to replace two over the years. since you know it's cyl #5, move that ignition coil to, say, #1.... run the car, scan it, and see if the misfire follows to #1. if you haven't replaced your spark plugs, that would also be a good thing to do.
    Yeah this is a good way to check if its the coil pack vs the spark plug.

As for the coolant leak, the most common failure point on these cars is the expansion tank which tends to crack and leak. Really hard to tell without looking or knowing anything about your car/car history.
    2005 Jet Black 6MT ZHP "Family First"
    ~Rob~

Alright awesome, this gives me some things to try - thanks guys!

Car history: bought it at 76k miles about a year ago from Denver, CO. It was previously an EAG car, modded to a DINAN 3 (intake, exhaust, strut bar, engine software), that had a full cooling system refresh done before I got it. While I've had it, I've replaced the fuel pump and relay as it died, and an autobody replaced the front bumper and horn because somebody hit me. Now at about 89k miles in Boston, MA

I'm not going to sit here and try to guess where the coolant leak is. I just went through a hunt for a coolant leak and it could be coming from anywhere. If you get under the car or pop the hood and take a look let us know what you find. Could be something as simple as a gasket on your temp sensor, or could be the radiator.
    2005 Jet Black 6MT ZHP "Family First"
    ~Rob~

Since a lot of these are higher mileage cars, it's not a bad idea to always keep a spare coil on hand even if you have someone else swap it out for you. It can mean getting back on the road in minutes. On long road trips, I often put one in the trunk with my spare bottle of oil, especially if the trip is to an area far from any BMW shops/dealers.

Salty
    __________________________________________________ _____
    2005 BMW 330Ci ZHP Jet Black/Black with aluminum cube
    Bone stock at the moment

Quote Originally Posted by SaltyNC View Post
    Since a lot of these are higher mileage cars, it's not a bad idea to always keep a spare coil on hand even if you have someone else swap it out for you. It can mean getting back on the road in minutes. On long road trips, I often put one in the trunk with my spare bottle of oil, especially if the trip is to an area far from any BMW shops/dealers.

Salty
    You can get duralast coils for these cars from any Autozone or whatever. I had a lean condition (likely vacuum leak) on my last zhp that was killing could packs once a month.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast