Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Does a front tower brace make a difference?

I'm sure this has been asked before, but my search function isn't working well.

I'm a track amateur and will graduate to "rookie" this summer. I'm wondering if a tower brace really makes a positive difference in a 330ci.

If so, is there an appreciable difference between an expensive one like Dinan and a cheaper brace? Thanks.

I am not even a track amateur and felt a difference. Make sure bar is solid with no articulation.
    325i, 2005, 5MT, Silvergrey, leatherette, Sport package; CDV delete, KONI STR-T & KYB Excel-G, Weisslichts, Stewart H2O pump

328i, 2010, 6MT, Spacegrey, dakota leather, M-sport packages; has a 330 intake but no tune - yet
    http://s900.photobucket.com/user/othibau/media/Junesig.jpg.html][IMG]http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac208/othibau/Junesig.jpg

It's minor, but I notice a difference--I have a favorite, tight on-ramp that I can better handle--less body roll--with the strut bar installed (ECS/Turner carbon-fiber). I put one on each of my cars.

It has been debated many times on various forums.

I saw an article (linked on ZHPMafia I think) in which they measured the distance between the strut towers and concluded the displacement was only a millimeter or two. IIRC, it was also done on a track, where stresses are usually higher than street-driven cars.

Conversely; Those German engineers are pretty damn smart, and if BMW added it to the M3, it must do something.

I would have added one but haven't because;

1) I can't find a good one which is reasonably priced and meets all of my needs
    2) Most are fixed and therefore cannot accommodate camber adjustments without modification.
    3) Most are bent, and as any structural engineer will tell you, if it is bent it provides less rigidity than something straight.

-Just my two cents.

(Edit) Found the link, and correction; the delta was actually only 0.7mm at the highest stress point.

Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Oli77 View Post
    Make sure bar is solid with no articulation.
    agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by cornercarver View Post
    3) Most are bent, and as any structural engineer will tell you, if it is bent it provides less rigidity than something straight.
    yep.

i am running a $90 ebay bar that is straight, rigid and fits OK.
    peter

2004 330i ZHP
    2005 330iT ZHP
    2010 328iT M Sport

Graphs above are really interesting thanks for posting empirical data.

I think the greatest deflection is actually > 1 mm in all. Should consider the deflections towards each other and away from each other (towers), so that's -0.55 to + 0.65 ~= 1.2 mm. Might not be that much when you think of the forces involved and the rigidity of the chassis, but it is nevertheless impactful.
    325i, 2005, 5MT, Silvergrey, leatherette, Sport package; CDV delete, KONI STR-T & KYB Excel-G, Weisslichts, Stewart H2O pump

328i, 2010, 6MT, Spacegrey, dakota leather, M-sport packages; has a 330 intake but no tune - yet
    http://s900.photobucket.com/user/othibau/media/Junesig.jpg.html][IMG]http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac208/othibau/Junesig.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by cornercarver View Post
    It has been debated many times on various forums.

I saw an article (linked on ZHPMafia I think) in which they measured the distance between the strut towers and concluded the displacement was only a millimeter or two. IIRC, it was also done on a track, where stresses are usually higher than street-driven cars.

Conversely; Those German engineers are pretty damn smart, and if BMW added it to the M3, it must do something.

I would have added one but haven't because;

1) I can't find a good one which is reasonably priced and meets all of my needs
    2) Most are fixed and therefore cannot accommodate camber adjustments without modification.

-Just my two cents.

(Edit) Found the link, and correction; the delta was actually only 0.7mm at the highest stress point.

I think I remember reading through that report just fascinated by the results....and then someone pointed out that the car had a welded in roll cage...so uhh it's a lil stiff already.

^ that would be a real important piece of information to know indeed!

Quote Originally Posted by ZHPizza View Post
    I think I remember reading through that report just fascinated by the results....and then someone pointed out that the car had a welded in roll cage...so uhh it's a lil stiff already.
    Good point. I hadn't noticed that, but even a fully welded cage doesn't help the front clip much unless some component of it goes through the firewall to connect the frame and strut towers.

I've been looking for a STB which ties the strut towers to the firewall. I had one on my Mustang. It was reportedly the best design because it triangulated the strut towers with the firewall which acts like a shear plane. I think it's harder to do on the E46 because the cabin air filter is in the way, at a minimum.

$1k BMW performance strut bar is the best.... I kid I kid

His - 2004 Imola Red / Alcantara 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

Her's - 2005 Black Sapphire Metallic / Black Leather 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast