Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast
    Love that fresh new fcab smell!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Randeaux/Rando/John/jr - '06 Cic ZHP; Southern California
    "ZHP or not, I still like you"

ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV, Anthracite Black "my individual" interior trim
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Suspension: AST 44100 dampers, Bimmerworld front adjustable end links, Swift springs (8K front, 10K rear), Vorshlag camber plates
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors
    Note: Actual car no longer resembles signature picture

You mean RTAB?
    -Chris

Quote Originally Posted by cornercarver View Post
    You mean RTAB?
    Ah. Yup!
    Randeaux/Rando/John/jr - '06 Cic ZHP; Southern California
    "ZHP or not, I still like you"

ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV, Anthracite Black "my individual" interior trim
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Suspension: AST 44100 dampers, Bimmerworld front adjustable end links, Swift springs (8K front, 10K rear), Vorshlag camber plates
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors
    Note: Actual car no longer resembles signature picture

M3 Rear Suspension Swap

Installed an M3 rear end over the long weekend...Approximately 134,500 miles. Didn't take many photos besides this one;

Name:  49C113EA-059B-4AF2-AB3F-2E56A7C54429.jpeg
Views: 302
Size:  309.5 KB

A few notes;

• If you do this, plan on spending at least TWICE as much time as you think it will take. My car has been a New England car all its life, so there were plenty of rusted fasteners, two of which snapped and had to be drilled out.

• I can't imagine doing this swap without a lift. If you have access to one, definitely make use of it.

• The axles and driveshafts are different lengths than the ZHP. I read somewhere that the driveshaft was the same if you have a 6-speed, but this is not true. I forgot the exact dimension but the ZHP driveshaft was at least an inch too long. The M3 diff is not only wider, but longer, so the input flange is closer to the transmission. The M3 axles still work with the ZHP RTA's though. The difference in length is due to the differential being wider. The ZHP axles can not be used with the M3 diff, due to the length and the bolt patterns being different.

Differential comparison:
    Name:  7E9E3536-1190-497E-8909-C5CCC9BC8ADA.jpeg
Views: 331
Size:  198.8 KB

• The upper / lower control arms and rear trailing arms are interchangeable, but if you use the M3 RTA's, you need to use M3 brakes because they're different mounting points than the 330i, and the rotor offset / dust shield location is slightly different than the ZHP. I chose to re-use the ZHP arms because I had already installed a set of SDW RTAB's in them, and the P/O hacked the M3 RTA when he removed the bushings so there were significant gouges in the housing. The driver's side axle bearing on the M3 RTA was also in need of replacement and I didn't feel like dealing with that, plus I read that the bias with the M3 brakes changes the braking dynamics, causing some rear lockup under hard braking.

• The ABS sensor needs to be reset at a shallower depth in the RTA because the M3 axle diameter at the ABS ring is larger.

• E-brake cables are different lengths... I found this out after I got everything buttoned up. Grey goes on the right, black on the left (Driver's side.) They actually still work, but the PS cable is about 1" shorter now and barely engages the threads at the e-brake handle, while the DS cable threads are about 1.5" too long.

• It's important to note that the differential can't be removed without dropping the entire subframe/carrier. The rear differential bolts won't come all the way out because they're too close to the trunk/spare tire well. The control arm bolts also won't come out of the carrier because they hit the differential, but it is possible to loosen the differential and slide it rearward to gain clearance. As a result, everything has to be bolted into the subframe prior to lifting it up into the body. All assembled, this thing weights at least 150lbs, so there is no way you can install it without a jack. It is a significantly easier task with two people. I managed to do it alone by some miracle. As I type this, I realize it may be possible to drill a couple of holes in the trunk/spare tire well to access the rear diff bolts. I'll probably do this at some point if I ever need to remove the diff.

Name:  206EDA24-C4F4-49C4-A359-9DE41CD51557.jpeg
Views: 313
Size:  139.2 KB

Name:  B16BEBB9-7170-49F4-9C00-B4CCEA925F90.jpeg
Views: 305
Size:  111.3 KB

• Lastly - the ZHP exhaust doesn't clear the M3 half shaft/diff output flange. Mine made contact so I just cut it and installed some temporary dumps after the second resonator. I'll be taking it to an exhaust shop soon to fab up a fix.

Driving impressions;

• The car definitely has noticeably better pickup, but I haven't pushed it too hard yet because I want to make sure there aren't any issues... Plus I haven't had the car aligned yet. Hoping to do that tomorrow. Haven't noticed any difference due to the LSD just yet, but again, I haven't pushed it hard so I can't comment on that aspect. I'll update this post once I have more opportunity to drive it.

• The P/O installed solid aluminum subframe bushings and poly diff to subframe bushings. I would highly recommend NOT doing solid bushings because there is a significant amount of gear whine in the cabin. I'm going to swap them out for either poly or OEM rubber. I don't see any performance benefit from the solid bushings in a daily driver, and the gear whine is annoying.

That's it for now... Will update later.
    Last edited by cornercarver; 08-11-2019 at 09:04 AM. Reason: Mileage correction
    -Chris

Great work, thanks for the tips/learnings from your process!

Also, I'm very envious of your 4-post lift...

Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    Great work, thanks for the tips/learnings from your process!

Also, I'm very envious of your 4-post lift...
    I wanted a lift for the longest time, but could never justify the cost. Then a fellow car guy offered it up for $750 delivered - it was a no-brainer. It makes a huge difference in maintenance. My ceilings are pretty low so I can only get the car about 36” of the ground, but even that is a huge benefit.
    -Chris

Quote Originally Posted by cornercarver View Post
    I wanted a lift for the longest time, but could never justify the cost. Then a fellow car guy offered it up for $750 delivered - it was a no-brainer. It makes a huge difference in maintenance. My ceilings are pretty low so I can only get the car about 36” of the ground, but even that is a huge benefit.
    Wow that’s a crazy good deal!

How close was the exhaust to clearing the axle? Like just a few MM off or not even close?
    Emma - 2005 BMW 330ci ZHP 6MT Estorilblau Individual

Sportline 8s 18x8.5F - 18x9.5R | APEX ARC-8 18x8.5 Square | aFe Intake | 135i Brembo F/R Calipers | 26mm Front/20mm Rear Sway Bars | Z4 Mirror
    M3 Dead Pedal | Lexus ES300 Yellow Fog Light Retrofit | Koni Yellows/H&R Springs | Llumar CTX 40% | Coby Tri-Stitch Wheel & Boots

Awaiting Install: M3 Wing Mirrors

Quote Originally Posted by 704sw View Post
    How close was the exhaust to clearing the axle? Like just a few MM off or not even close?
    It was actually touching the axle flange and carrier. Even if there was a half inch of space I still would have cut it. That close to the CV joint would, at the very least, cause the boot to dry and crack, if not melt.
    -Chris

Glad the swap worked out okay Chris!
    -Dave

2004 330i ZHP sedan- 6 speed swapped, Corsa exhaust
    1997 AW 328i- S52 swapped
    2004 IR 330i ZHP 6MT- aFe Stage 1, Shark Injector, RE Underdrives, Dforce LTWs- SOLD
    1997 Technoviolet M3/2/5- LS1/T56 swapped- SOLD

Damn, $750! That's a helluva deal, sweet score! I think the safety aspect of it is worth it's weight in gold.

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast