Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    that fixed mine...
    Dinan CAI &Throttle body, ESS Tuning TS2, Bimmerbrakes gen3 headers, UUC SSK & DSSR. Achilles oil pump, VAC oil pan baffle
    M3 Motor mounts, UUC Trans mounts, Modified clutch style LSD 3.15, TMS front subframe reinforcement, Koni Yellow sports,
    H&R sport springs,
    UUC sway bars, BMW Perf. Rotors, UUC SS brake lines, Hawk HPS pads, CSL replica wheels,
    Rotora strut bar, FXR HID conversion, M3 Mirror conversion, BSW stage 1 speakers

VANOS Time!

VANOS was rattling pretty loudly so I decided to do the Beisan Systems rattle fix and piston/seals rebuild. Boy, am I glad I did... Not so much for the rattle - yes that was annoying and the car sounded like crap - but for the seals; The car used to have a hesitation and mild stumble under part-throttle between 2500-3000rpm which, thankfully, is gone. Power and torque seem to be much better now. I bet a LOT of cars would benefit from this repair. Edit: the 2500-3000rpm stumble went away briefly but came back... Guess it wasn't really related to the VANOS, maybe just because the battery was disconnected.

A couple of pics... Nothing we haven't seen before but I figured I'd throw them out there for anyone who hasn't seen the VANOS innards.

Name:  Sans_Valve_Cover.JPG
Views: 335
Size:  544.9 KBName:  Valvetrain-No_Vanos.JPG
Views: 282
Size:  465.9 KBName:  Vanos-Guts.jpg
Views: 327
Size:  400.7 KB

(126,800 miles)
    Last edited by cornercarver; 04-04-2019 at 07:30 AM.
    -Chris

Nice werk!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Randeaux/Rando/John/jr - '06 Cic ZHP; Southern California
    "ZHP or not, I still like you"

ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV, Anthracite Black "my individual" interior trim
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Suspension: AST 44100 dampers, Bimmerworld front adjustable end links, Swift springs (8K front, 10K rear), Vorshlag camber plates
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors
    Note: Actual car no longer resembles signature picture

Finally got the new FCA’s and poly FCAB’s installed today... ~127,XXX miles.

Front end feels much tighter now; not sure if it’s a result of fresh FCA’s or the poly FCAB’s, but probably the latter. Now the rear of the car feels more loose! Guess I’ll have to put rear bushings on the ‘to do’ list... Maybe this is where rtab limiters make a difference?

One important lesson: be careful where you swing a hammer... While trying to whack the passenger side control arm, I clipped the inner tie rod boot clamp and it popped off. It’s one of those factory-crimped types, so I had to find a band clamp to replace it.

BTW - I learned years ago on my Corvette that you can polish aluminum control arms with metal polish to nearly a chrome finish. It’s a lot of work because you have to apply the polish several times and switch to clean rags constantly, so I didn’t have the time for that on these arms. If you have a show car though it’s a great way to make the arms look really nice.
    -Chris

Quote Originally Posted by cornercarver View Post

• Hotchkis F&R anti-roll bars and Bimmerworld end links (aluminum w/ rod ends.) @124,600
    I thought it was worth noting that spherical rod ends are not the best choice for a street-driven car...at least not on the roads in this part of the country. I’ve driven less than 3000 miles on the Bimmerworld endlinks and they started clunking several weeks ago. (I was waiting until I got the CA’s and FCAB’s done to rule those out.) I’ll be switching back to the OEM style as soon as I have a free hour.
    -Chris

Good stuff

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Randeaux/Rando/John/jr - '06 Cic ZHP; Southern California
    "ZHP or not, I still like you"

ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV, Anthracite Black "my individual" interior trim
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Suspension: AST 44100 dampers, Bimmerworld front adjustable end links, Swift springs (8K front, 10K rear), Vorshlag camber plates
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors
    Note: Actual car no longer resembles signature picture

Quote Originally Posted by cornercarver View Post
    I thought it was worth noting that spherical rod ends are not the best choice for a street-driven car...at least not on the roads in this part of the country. I’ve driven less than 3000 miles on the Bimmerworld endlinks and they started clunking several weeks ago. (I was waiting until I got the CA’s and FCAB’s done to rule those out.) I’ll be switching back to the OEM style as soon as I have a free hour.
    I wonder if they will replace under warranty with such low mileage.
    Dinan CAI &Throttle body, ESS Tuning TS2, Bimmerbrakes gen3 headers, UUC SSK & DSSR. Achilles oil pump, VAC oil pan baffle
    M3 Motor mounts, UUC Trans mounts, Modified clutch style LSD 3.15, TMS front subframe reinforcement, Koni Yellow sports,
    H&R sport springs,
    UUC sway bars, BMW Perf. Rotors, UUC SS brake lines, Hawk HPS pads, CSL replica wheels,
    Rotora strut bar, FXR HID conversion, M3 Mirror conversion, BSW stage 1 speakers

Nope - I asked. They consider them a ‘wear item’ and don’t offer a warranty.

As soon as I find a free hour I’ll be putting back in the Lemforder end links I replaced just a few hundred miles earlier.
    -Chris

Hi,
    Thanks for this thread. I am in Somerville and would love to see your car sometime soon. Are you going to German Car day at Larz Andersen in June? I think it is the 14th? I picked up a 2005 Mystic Blue Vert with 88k on it in March and am starting to do some of my own wrenching and could use a buddy to assist on some jobs.
    Todd

Quote Originally Posted by 63Westy View Post
    Hi,
    Thanks for this thread. I am in Somerville and would love to see your car sometime soon. Are you going to German Car day at Larz Andersen in June? I think it is the 14th? I picked up a 2005 Mystic Blue Vert with 88k on it in March and am starting to do some of my own wrenching and could use a buddy to assist on some jobs.
    Todd
    Hey Todd - good to make your acquaintance... Yes, I’m planning to go to GCD, though I don’t think my car is ‘lawn-worthy.’

Would love to assist on some jobs but I barely have time to work on my own car. Happy to share what I’ve learned though...

Do you have specific plans for the car? Pretty decent mileage for an ‘05. Manual or automatic? Local purchase? You should introduce yourself in the ‘New Members’ thread and share some details.
    -Chris

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast