Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: ZHP 3 - A Corner Carver

Quote Originally Posted by cornercarver View Post
    I thought it was worth noting that spherical rod ends are not the best choice for a street-driven car...at least not on the roads in this part of the country. Iíve driven less than 3000 miles on the Bimmerworld endlinks and they started clunking several weeks ago. (I was waiting until I got the CAís and FCABís done to rule those out.) Iíll be switching back to the OEM style as soon as I have a free hour.
    I take back what I said about the spherical rod ends; I removed them this weekend because I ordered replacements, thinking they had to be the cause of the 'clunk,' and in the process discovered that the old ones were fine. WTH.

So I'm still baffled by the slight clunk... Everything on the front suspension is new now, except for the wheel assembly and steering tie rods, which feel solid. Guess I need to investigate more...
    -Chris

Did you check to see if the endlinks could be hitting the control arm when the car is down? Otherwise it could have been loose

I'm getting a clunk in the front too. Need to investigate. Did a compete front end rebuild a few thousand miles ago. Last thing to go on we're tie rods. If I find anything, I'll let you know
    Dinan CAI &Throttle body, ESS Tuning TS2, Bimmerbrakes gen3 headers, UUC SSK & DSSR. Achilles oil pump, VAC oil pan baffle
    M3 Motor mounts, UUC Trans mounts, Modified clutch style LSD 3.15, TMS front subframe reinforcement, Koni Yellow sports,
    H&R sport springs,
    UUC sway bars, BMW Perf. Rotors, UUC SS brake lines, Hawk HPS pads, CSL replica wheels,
    Rotora strut bar, FXR HID conversion, M3 Mirror conversion, BSW stage 1 speakers

Sorry - I neglected to update this...

When I reinstalled the end links I theorized that if the rod ends are still tight, maybe the bolt connecting them to the strut was loose enough that it moved under load, and I was right; I torqued the shit out of the nut connecting the end link and sure enough, the next day - no more clunking. It must be that there's just enough play in the end link bolt hole on the strut that the bolt moves when it's not really tight. The Bimmerworld end link kit came with spacers to take up the slack between the bolt and hole in the strut because the bolt is a smaller diameter than the OEM end link. I think the spacers are not perfectly sized and allow a tiny bit of movement.
    -Chris

Hmm my Bimmerworld endlinks didn't come with any spacers I don't think. But I tightened them with an impact wrench because there's no rubber seals to worry about ripping.

If they're the same end links I have, there should definitely be a small spacer because the stud is too small for the holes in the strut and anti-roll bar.
    -Chris

Red arrow in the pic below points to the spacer (no, it's not a washer; what you see is the flange of the spacer which takes up the gap between the stud and hole in the strut flange.) They would rattle around in the hole if this spacer wasn't there.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    -Chris

I don't remember if I used that lol But I did install it like 4 years ago..

Another entry for maintenance;

I was so sick of cleaning my wheels every other day (and concerned that such frequent cleaning is going to dull the finish) that I installed new Akebono ceramic 'low-dust' pads. I always change rotors when I do pads, so I also installed a set of Stoptech slotted rotors...

Name:  New_Rotors&Pads.JPG
Views: 56
Size:  129.7 KB

Only one concern after doing this; The front rotors don't appear to be wearing at all - as if the front calipers are not doing any work. These photos show the wear on the front & rear rotors after only about 10 miles of driving.

LF rotor:
    Name:  Rotor-Front.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  395.7 KB

LR rotor:
    Name:  Rotor-Rear.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  379.5 KB

RF and RR rotors were the same, respectively.

The brake pedal has been getting softer lately, so maybe the fronts aren't getting adequate pressure due to air in the lines... I'm going to bleed them soon and see if that has any effect.
    -Chris

Nice. Hope you find out what the issue is.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Randeaux/Rando/John/jr - '06 Cic ZHP; Southern California
    "ZHP or not, I still like you"

ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, Ground Control Coilovers, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors
    Note: Actual car no longer resembles signature picture

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast