Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Struggling with Koni Yellows...

Installing a set of Koni Yellows. Tackled the rear shocks today, and I'm having the damndest time trying to adjust them--even after reading the piss-poor instructions and watching a bunch of crappy videos. I have the internally adjustable ones... I push the rod in, cannot feel any engagement, but turned the cylinder body CCW a bunch of times (trying for full-soft) while pushing the rod down--not an easy task. At this point, I'm ready to just install and hope for the best. Not at all sure how you'd balance the setting left to right... Frustration is setting in.

Struggling with Koni Yellows...

Quote Originally Posted by Reasoned1 View Post
    Installing a set of Koni Yellows. Tackled the rear shocks today, and I'm having the damndest time trying to adjust them--even after reading the piss-poor instructions and watching a bunch of crappy videos. I have the internally adjustable ones... I push the rod in, cannot feel any engagement, but turned the cylinder body CCW a bunch of times (trying for full-soft) while pushing the rod down--not an easy task. At this point, I'm ready to just install and hope for the best. Not at all sure how you'd balance the setting left to right... Frustration is setting in.
    Did mine a long time ago and don’t remember adjusting anything but the top. That one you do with the round plastic tool that’s included.

If we did the other adjustment, we probably used a vice

My rears have always been in the middle. Fronts full firm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dinan; Hign Flow Intake System, & Strut Tower Brace
    Turner Motorsports; Underdrive Power Pulleys
    Koni Sport, Bridgestone; Potenza RE-11, Coby Wheel
    Stewart High Performance Water Pump
    Hawk High Performance Street 5.0 Brake Pads
    Brembo Rotor

The purposeful face of a formidable athlete:

The spine-tingling 330i Performance Package.

Purchased CPO on 12/23/2006 with 28,090 miles

The rears are not easy to adjust. I would get a cloth or something to protect my palm and push down on the piston. Once fully pushed in, if you rotate you should feel resistance at in one direction. Work from there. I basically did it from full soft about 3/4 of a turn and just did it until both rear shocks had the same rebound rate, not by exactly how much I turned the piston.

I think I depressed the shock against some wood, but I had somebody helping. I tried to get the rebound to the same speed, then I remembered about possible friction differences and just estimated a similar turn with both.

Thanks, guys. I actually found a good video by "flipfinish" (NOT Koni) where he clearly demonstrates and describes how it's done. As you said, it's not easy under the best of circumstances. He used his brain and facilitates the process by using a hex key in the end of the shaft.
    Last edited by Reasoned1; 03-24-2018 at 06:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Reasoned1 View Post
    Thanks, guys. I actually found a good video by "flipfinish" (NOT Koni) where he clearly demonstrates and describes how it's done. As you said, it's not easy under the best of circumstances. He used his brain and facilitates the process by using a hex key in the end of the shaft.
    Glad you got it. Yep, hex key with gloves and or rags. And maybe a piece of wood on the floor... getting the rebound close is key as stated above.

What exactly do you mean by rebound rate? If you mean the rate at which they extend when released, I'm happy to hear it--that's how I adjusted them (in accordance with flipfinish's video) and they're fully installed now. HOWEVER, I also read (after install, of course) that that is an INCORRECT method of aligning the two shocks--the correct method being to align based strictly on the number of turns... which brings me to my big concern: Part of the reason I had issues is because one of my shocks (the one I started on) seems much stiffer than the other one. Furthermore, there feels to be a point on that shock at which the it gets much stiffer when being compressed--I fear it may be damaged although I did nothing to damage it. At this point, barring some indisputable guidance from somebody who knows what they're talking about, I'm just going to drive it to test it. I may give Koni a call to see what they have to say... grumbling...

Quote Originally Posted by ELCID86 View Post
    Glad you got it. Yep, hex key with gloves and or rags. And maybe a piece of wood on the floor... getting the rebound close is key as stated above.
    Shawn and I have did the rear adjustment together and that made for a great picture.

But the rate at which the shock rod comes up from the body does not determine the stiffness.

Set both of them the same amount of turns when fully compressed. Fully compress the shock rod into the body, turn them with the key up to full soft and make adjustments from there.

It is kinda pita but after a couple of times you will figure it out.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

His - 2004 Imola Red / Alcantara 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

Her's - 2005 Black Sapphire Metallic / Black Leather 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

F... third time's the charm, I hope.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast