Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: DIY Nightmares

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

really the worst part about these involved jobs is the frustration and feeling of helplessness. But when you finish you're just relieved it is all over. Reminds me of my sex life.
    ~ 2005 330ci ZHP Silbergrau | Black cube | Leather ~
    Current Mods: Akebono brake pads, Bilstein B4 Rear Shocks, Beisan Systems VANOS Rebuild, G.A.S. DISA O-ring, Morimoto fog lights, StopTech SS brake lines, Subwoofer tennis ball mod, Switchback Angel Eyes (turn signal), Zimmermann drilled rotors.
    My project thread ---> http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showt...into-a-reality

lol I have so many of these moments. Although I got hurt in a few of them as well. All it does is piss you off even more cause now you still have to finish the job, but because you're injured, everything takes that much longer.

Quote Originally Posted by sillieidiot View Post
    lol I have so many of these moments. Although I got hurt in a few of them as well. All it does is piss you off even more cause now you still have to finish the job, but because you're injured, everything takes that much longer.
    LOL ain't that the truth!
    Dinan CAI &Throttle body, ESS Tuning TS2, Bimmerbrakes gen3 headers, UUC SSK & DSSR. Achilles oil pump, VAC oil pan baffle
    M3 Motor mounts, UUC Trans mounts, Modified clutch style LSD 3.15, TMS front subframe reinforcement, Koni Yellow sports,
    H&R sport springs,
    UUC sway bars, BMW Perf. Rotors, UUC SS brake lines, Hawk HPS pads, CSL replica wheels,
    Rotora strut bar, FXR HID conversion, M3 Mirror conversion, BSW stage 1 speakers

Quote Originally Posted by papa_g View Post
    The worst part of any nightmare DIY is the frustration and feeling of helplessness you get when things aren't working. Like that urge to admit defeat is really strong, but your ego gets in the way and makes you suffer longer lol.
    I could not have said it any better myself. The feeling of utter despair, looking around the garage at the post-disaster area that is your entire tool collection scattered about, ripping your gloves off in a fit of rage, and giving out one good, loud “*#$%!!!,” all the while thinking “where the (bleep) is my (bleeping) phone, this was NOT part of that DIY thread...”

It does feel good to do it alone, but at the same time, I feel like this is just how it has to be because I made myself a promise that I would not pay labor on maintaining this car if I can help it. Good luck on the next project! sounds involved, but fun!
    This is the first car I’ve really done any maintenance on, outside of basic crap like oil changes. I did mods on the Mazda like splicing from the fuse box for the “indie fog mod,” or my full-on projector HID retrofit, but nothing like taking apart major sections of the drivetrain. I knew learning to turn a wrench would be a mandate when buying this car, and I’m honestly impressed with what I’ve been able to do thus far.

Quote Originally Posted by slater View Post
    great thread. i have a few stories, but all i can think of is nate's gear oil. paging nate...
    I did it too. I was so ashamed of the carelessness that had led to overflowing diff fluid I didn’t bother telling Nate—I knew the laughter would be boisterous, while still managing to eke out a “that sucks” between the many “ha’s” that would follow. That little bastard just slipped out of my fingers and in the funnel it went!
    Emma - 2005 BMW 330ci ZHP 6MT Estorilblau Individual

Sportline 8s 18x8.5F - 18x9.5R | APEX ARC-8 18x8.5 Square | aFe Intake | 135i Brembo F/R Calipers | 26mm Front/20mm Rear Sway Bars | Z4 Mirror
    M3 Dead Pedal | Lexus ES300 Yellow Fog Light Retrofit | Koni Yellows/H&R Springs | Llumar CTX 40% | Coby Tri-Stitch Wheel & Boots

Awaiting Install: M3 Wing Mirrors

That diff fluid spill story from Nate made me laugh harder than anything I've read so far here, because I know just how nasty that smell is, and I could appreciate the disaster. Even wearing gloves and not spilling any, you still have that smell on your body for a day that just won't go away. I did my diff change in the driveway well away from the house. I didn't want that stuff anywhere near our concrete in the garage.
    __________________________________________________ _____
    2005 BMW 330Ci ZHP Jet Black/Black with aluminum cube
    Bone stock at the moment

really the worst part about these involved jobs is the frustration and feeling of helplessness. But when you finish you're just relieved it is all over. Reminds me of my sex life.
    Quote Originally Posted by sillieidiot View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sockethead View Post
    LOL ain't that the truth!
    Quote Originally Posted by 704sw View Post
    I could not have said it any better myself. The feeling of utter despair, looking around the garage at the post-disaster area that is your entire tool collection scattered about, ripping your gloves off in a fit of rage, and giving out one good, loud “*#$%!!!,” all the while thinking “where the (bleep) is my (bleeping) phone, this was NOT part of that DIY thread...”

This is the first car I’ve really done any maintenance on, outside of basic crap like oil changes. I did mods on the Mazda like splicing from the fuse box for the “indie fog mod,” or my full-on projector HID retrofit, but nothing like taking apart major sections of the drivetrain. I knew learning to turn a wrench would be a mandate when buying this car, and I’m honestly impressed with what I’ve been able to do thus far.

I did it too. I was so ashamed of the carelessness that had led to overflowing diff fluid I didn’t bother telling Nate—I knew the laughter would be boisterous, while still managing to eke out a “that sucks” between the many “ha’s” that would follow. That little bastard just slipped out of my fingers and in the funnel it went!
    Amen

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

So....I guess I set the stage for my day yesterday in the second post of this thread. I've been expecting and planning to do the electric water pump on my e61 for quite some time. They're always known to die at around 80k....here I am at 106K and recently had a thermostat code....so I pulled the trigger and purchased the needed parts. Figured I'd do the OFHGs while I was already dealing with an empty cooling system.

Yesterday morning, I got up bright and early and started the tear-down. Because its so easy and gives tons of room, I removed the fan so after draining all the coolant, I had a ton of room to work....or so I thought. I eventually got stuck trying to remove two band clamps who's 6mm heads were no where I could reach. Deep above the front suspension brace. I tried every possible tool I had: flex drivers, long screw-drivers, you name it. I was getting very frustrated so I called a guy I know that is a BMW mechanic at a BMW dealer in Macon. He gave me other ideas of how to get to them so I kept trying. The more I tried, the more frustrated I got. I could see them...I could even land a tool on them...but had no way to turn them. Then eventually I came to realize the seven if I got them loose, Id have no way to pull the attached hose off. At some point, between texting my buddy, he actually offered to do it for me on the lift in Macon (1-1/2hrs away). I really didn't want to have to bother him and do that so I kept trying. Well....by mid afternoon I was beaten....head throbbing, sick stomach...feeling like a total failure, I put it all back together and filled the cooling system back up and called it a day. Oh, I did happen to notice that my trans-pan was soaked....I recently had the zf serviced with new fluid and a new pan so I figured something was up. After putting everything back together I went to the transmission shop and they found that the new pan apparently has the fill plug only finger tight. So by the time I got home around 6pm...I WAS TOAST!!!!!

This morning I got up, made a biscuit and coffee, and got on the road. Was in Macon by 8:30. My buddy had the water pump and t-stat all installed and then proceeded to do the OFHGs as well as clean the living snot out of the whole front and side and bottom of the motor where oil had just made a mess and was all done by 11:30. Absolutely amazing. I guess what he said is perfectly true....the first time you do one they're a bitch, after that, they get a lot easier.

Well....still on my list of things to do are: new akebono euro pads for my e61 and a new hydraulic tensioner on my zhp.....I hope those don't have near this kind of drama!

-r

wow that's a pain. How much did he charge you for the job? Did he tell you how he got those band clamps off and please tell me he oriented them into a more accessible orientation after the job lol I remember getting the lower intake boot off was a pain because the last time it was serviced the prick who put it back on made the band clamp screw almost inaccessible.
    I am also doing the Akebono euro pads soon. Sitting in my garage with some Zimmermann drilled rotors and some SS brake lines
    ~ 2005 330ci ZHP Silbergrau | Black cube | Leather ~
    Current Mods: Akebono brake pads, Bilstein B4 Rear Shocks, Beisan Systems VANOS Rebuild, G.A.S. DISA O-ring, Morimoto fog lights, StopTech SS brake lines, Subwoofer tennis ball mod, Switchback Angel Eyes (turn signal), Zimmermann drilled rotors.
    My project thread ---> http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showt...into-a-reality

Autozone.com
    wow that's a pain. How much did he charge you for the job? Did he tell you how he got those band clamps off and please tell me he oriented them into a more accessible orientation after the job lol I remember getting the lower intake boot off was a pain because the last time it was serviced the prick who put it back on made the band clamp screw almost inaccessible.
    I am also doing the Akebono euro pads soon. Sitting in my garage with some Zimmermann drilled rotors and some SS brake lines
    Well....the band clamps were actually accessible with the proper tools....between some flex drivers he had and long skinny screw-drivers, he got both of them. Having the car up on a rack was pretty critical to this as was removing the aluminum reinforcement plate under the motor. I suppose I could've removed it too but even he had to contort to get to them while standing under the vehicle so all things considered, it was being on a lift that made the most difference. I knocked all 4 corners on my Odyssey today with no issues...new rotors on the front and all new pads all around. They don't make Akebono Euros for it but I got the better ceramic pads in hopes they're as dustless as the euros!

Still need to do the Akebonos on the e61 but that will have to wait till another day!

-r

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast