Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: DIY Nightmares

Quote Originally Posted by Smolck View Post
    A|C compressor job on these cars is simple. Go at it from underneath, I find that easier. Hardest part is removing all those bolts holding the aluminum under panel.
    aluminum underpanel? i thought the compressor could be removed with just the splash guard out of the way.

Anyway, talked to a bmw tech online. He said it is odd the compressor would be spinning and look and sound in good working order, but not pulling freon toward the high end. Recommended I flush the lines and flush the compressor filter to rule out any obstruction. Also that I replace the oil. Guess I'll give it a try?
    ~ 2005 330ci ZHP Silbergrau | Black cube | Leather ~
    Current Mods: Akebono brake pads, Bilstein B4 Rear Shocks, Beisan Systems VANOS Rebuild, G.A.S. DISA O-ring, Morimoto fog lights, StopTech SS brake lines, Subwoofer tennis ball mod, Switchback Angel Eyes (turn signal), Zimmermann drilled rotors.
    My project thread ---> http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showt...into-a-reality

Quote Originally Posted by Fenrir View Post
    Replacing/repairing the K Jetronic fuel injection on both of my E21s.. Uuuuuuugh. Next 320i I get is getting double Weber. Chasing down what felt like miles of vacuum lines for leaks after doing an engine rebuild is a pain. Riiight when you think you've got it all figured out.. Nope. The vacuum leak pixies strike again. Them when that is figured out, the electric system will rear it's head. All 100 of them. Fix the hazard switch by just buying five new ones. Done. Nooow the turn signals dont' work. Fuse box issue. Cool. Oh... wait.. The injection is wonky again. That said.... I'd do it all over again.

The ZHP has, so far, been nightmare free. It's been pretty home mechanic friendly all things considered.
    dude i dont even understand half the sht you're saying but that sounds like a headache
    Current Mods: Akebono brake pads, Bilstein B4 Rear Shocks, Beisan Systems VANOS Rebuild, G.A.S. DISA O-ring, Morimoto fog lights, StopTech SS brake lines, Subwoofer tennis ball mod, Switchback Angel Eyes (turn signal), Zimmermann drilled rotors.

Quote Originally Posted by papa_g View Post
    dude i dont even understand half the sht you're saying but that sounds like a headache
    Haha welcome to E21 ownership. The later model E21s used a mechanical fuel injection system. If there's a vacuum leak, well it doesn't work so well. And chasing down a vacuum leak on a car from 1983 is a pain. A common thing is to switch to a pair of Weber carburators. Solves the mech injection issues and sounds great. Just takes a lil time and elbow grease.

The hazard switches in the E21 also act as a fuse of sorts for the turn signals. Also, the hazard switch breaks rather often. Sooooo if one goes, all sorts of gremlins arise. That said, the car is pretty easy to work on and future proofing any real issues isn't hard.

I've owned two 320is' and even with the minor headaches, I'd buy one all over again.

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk

AFE stage 1 CAI, Silicone Stett Intake Boots, AA Headers and Exhaust, AA Tune, Cat Delete, Hicon GT Adjustable Coilovers, Quaife Helical LSD, EVO 3 SS Kit, UUC Organic Clutch w/ UUC LW Flywheel, GTR rep carbon fiber hood, CSL rep carbon fiber trunk, CDV delete, CP Forged Pistons & SP Forged Con Rods, MotoZ projector headlights, Sony bluetooth/touch nav, & lots of love
    -Ben

Haha welcome to E21 ownership. The later model E21s used a mechanical fuel injection system. If there's a vacuum leak, well it doesn't work so well. And chasing down a vacuum leak on a car from 1983 is a pain. A common thing is to switch to a pair of Weber carburators. Solves the mech injection issues and sounds great. Just takes a lil time and elbow grease.

The hazard switches in the E21 also act as a fuse of sorts for the turn signals. Also, the hazard switch breaks rather often. Sooooo if one goes, all sorts of gremlins arise. That said, the car is pretty easy to work on and future proofing any real issues isn't hard.

I've owned two 320is' and even with the minor headaches, I'd buy one all over again.

LOL thank you for the translation. I am not familiar with the e21s, are they more desirable from a collector's standpoint than the e30s?

LOL thank you for the translation. I am not familiar with the e21s, are they more desirable from a collector's standpoint than the e30s?
    Thaaaaaat depends on the collector. Short answer. Nope. They're sort of the red headed step child between the 2002 and the E30. That said, a lot of the features that began to appear in the BMW 3 series line first showed up in the E21. Like the dash angled toward and focused on the driver. They can be had for reasonable prices and have a charm of their own. And you'll see fewer of them than E30s.

They're the genesis of the 3 series line and are very fun little cars. Big trunk (for their size), reasonable on fuel, and with a bit of preventative maintenance (they're over 30yrs old) awesome daily drivers.

Last edited by Fenrir; 06-14-2018 at 09:45 PM.

AFE stage 1 CAI, Silicone Stett Intake Boots, AA Headers and Exhaust, AA Tune, Cat Delete, Hicon GT Adjustable Coilovers, Quaife Helical LSD, EVO 3 SS Kit, UUC Organic Clutch w/ UUC LW Flywheel, GTR rep carbon fiber hood, CSL rep carbon fiber trunk, CDV delete, CP Forged Pistons & SP Forged Con Rods, MotoZ projector headlights, Sony bluetooth/touch nav, & lots of love
    -Ben

DIY Nightmares

My understanding is they’re the forgotten about generation between two very desirable cars (2002 and E30). I think they look killer, but I’ve got an E30 itch to scratch first

Edit: dammit he typed faster than I did.
    Emma - 2005 BMW 330ci ZHP 6MT Estorilblau Individual

Sportline 8s 18x8.5F - 18x9.5R | APEX ARC-8 18x8.5 Square | aFe Intake | 135i Brembo F/R Calipers | 26mm Front/20mm Rear Sway Bars | Z4 Mirror
    M3 Dead Pedal | Lexus ES300 Yellow Fog Light Retrofit | Koni Yellows/H&R Springs | Llumar CTX 40% | Coby Tri-Stitch Wheel & Boots

Awaiting Install: M3 Wing Mirrors

Quote Originally Posted by 704sw View Post
    My understanding is they’re the forgotten about generation between two very desirable cars (2002 and E30). I think they look killer, but I’ve got an E30 itch to scratch first

Edit: dammit he typed faster than I did.
    ROFL. You're spot on though. And I love em. More than I like the E30..... Except the E30 M3...... I need one.

As far as the E21 is concerned. They're fussy, they don't like you very much, you'll expand your vocabulary when fixing one, and they know a lot of the younger bimmer croud doesn't even know they exist. But God they are rewarding and fun little machines. It's a car that you can learn on. And it pays dividends when you're behind the wheel.

-Ben

As far as the E21 is concerned. They're fussy, they don't like you very much, you'll expand your vocabulary when fixing one, and they know a lot of the younger bimmer croud doesn't even know they exist. But God they are rewarding and fun little machines. It's a car that you can learn on. And it pays dividends when you're behind the wheel.
    Spot on. My first BMW was an E21 323i baur, it got me hooked; I will forever own something with a Roundel on it.

Autozone.com
    Nice!!! My first one was a 320i. Later on I got my hands on an IS. After I had the first car, the bug had definitely bitten me. I've been a consistent bimmer owner ever since without regret .
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl Lazlo View Post
    Spot on. My first BMW was an E21 323i baur, it got me hooked; I will forever own something with a Roundel on it.
    Sent from the missing 10mm

-Ben

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567