Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 15 of 15

Thread: Help Needed. Replacing burnt bowl from ZKW using theretrofitsource kit

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    216
    Good point I didn't add which kit i got.

    https://www.theretrofitsource.com/co...kw-repair.html

    PROJECTORS: 2x Morimoto D2S 4.0

    RQ BRACKETS / HARDWARE: 2x G10 Fiberglass / Stainless
    2005 330ci ZHP Silvergrey/Alcantara 6MT Garage Queen
    2004 330i ZHP Imola/Alcantara 6MT Daily Driver

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Picton, ON
    Posts
    5,542
    Quote Originally Posted by jonnyd330 View Post
    Good point I didn't add which kit i got.

    https://www.theretrofitsource.com/co...kw-repair.html

    PROJECTORS: 2x Morimoto D2S 4.0

    RQ BRACKETS / HARDWARE: 2x G10 Fiberglass / Stainless
    i just read through the instructions - it's very simple. it looks like the only modification required is trimming the stock headlight bracket to allow the new project to sit flush against the RetroQuik bracket - 5min or less, with a dremel or a utility knife. otherwise it looks pretty darned plug and play... sorry to say, but i don't see how they could've made it any easier!
    peter



    2005 BMW 330iT ZHP 6MT | obnoxious

    2007 BMW X3 3.0si M Sport 6MT | the X

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    216
    If you are looking at the directions they provide on their page, those are miss leading. I called and they said there were a number of items not included such as the need to dremel out some for the solenoid and then doing the wiring. I found this guide which uses the same Morimoto projectors but not the prefabricated mount included with my kit.

    http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showt...o-Mini-D2S-4-0

    His directions are far more complete and make me think this is over my head, worring about the position of everything and if its going to bump when trying to auto level. I'm worried about screwing these things up to where they are completely unusable.
    2005 330ci ZHP Silvergrey/Alcantara 6MT Garage Queen
    2004 330i ZHP Imola/Alcantara 6MT Daily Driver

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Picton, ON
    Posts
    5,542
    Quote Originally Posted by jonnyd330 View Post
    If you are looking at the directions they provide on their page, those are miss leading. I called and they said there were a number of items not included such as the need to dremel out some for the solenoid and then doing the wiring. I found this guide which uses the same Morimoto projectors but not the prefabricated mount included with my kit.

    http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showt...o-Mini-D2S-4-0

    His directions are far more complete and make me think this is over my head, worring about the position of everything and if its going to bump when trying to auto level. I'm worried about screwing these things up to where they are completely unusable.
    OK, did they send you updated instructions for the solenoid? the wiring is not a surprise. i guess TRS is assuming that folks buying their RetroQuik kits are aware of what is required before buying the kit.

    that thread you linked is for installation without the TRS RetroQuick bracket, which really takes the guesswork out. most of his trimming is related to that. nothing in the thread was surprising, to me.

    if you've got a dremel - or can borrow one, and know how to use it, you can do this.
    peter



    2005 BMW 330iT ZHP 6MT | obnoxious

    2007 BMW X3 3.0si M Sport 6MT | the X

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    216
    Quote Originally Posted by slater View Post
    OK, did they send you updated instructions for the solenoid? the wiring is not a surprise. i guess TRS is assuming that folks buying their RetroQuik kits are aware of what is required before buying the kit.

    that thread you linked is for installation without the TRS RetroQuick bracket, which really takes the guesswork out. most of his trimming is related to that. nothing in the thread was surprising, to me.

    if you've got a dremel - or can borrow one, and know how to use it, you can do this.
    Thanks for the vote of confidence.

    I guess reading all these treads has scared me from doing it. I found this one that made it look awful and he had the bracket but now after reviewing it I don't think he installed them correctly. It looks like he mounted the projector from the rear and it should be on the front.
    2005 330ci ZHP Silvergrey/Alcantara 6MT Garage Queen
    2004 330i ZHP Imola/Alcantara 6MT Daily Driver

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Full ZKW headlight assmeblies with mounting bracket (burnt bowl)
    By [USMC]Skywalker in forum ZHP-Related Parts & Accessories (no vehicle sales)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-02-2018, 07:56 PM
  2. ZKW Burnt Bowl OEM Replacements
    By Clemsone46 in forum All Advertisers
    Replies: 122
    Last Post: 01-27-2018, 05:21 AM
  3. AL Projectors for Burnt ZKW Bowl Fix [found on NAM]
    By GreatFrog in forum ZHP-Related Parts & Accessories (no vehicle sales)
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-05-2017, 03:03 PM
  4. Replies: 66
    Last Post: 11-24-2016, 12:00 PM
  5. Burnt fog light bowl
    By Johnmadd in forum Lighting
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-01-2011, 09:09 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •