Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Recharging Dead Key FOB

Just took my vert out of storage today and it's time solve a few issues that I've had all winter to think about:

When I bought the car last fall, one of the keys was completely dead. The previous owned had it stuffed in a drawer for 9 years.... I drove the car for 30 minutes today and still no life out of any of the buttons. So doing some research I came across these instructions:

https://store.bimmernav.com/blogs/in...bmw-remote-key

It says to:

connect an automotive battery charger your car's battery pos/neg jump start terminals in the engine bay, then insert the key into the ignition and turn it to position 1 and leave it overnight. The charger will prevent your car battery from dying while the key gets charged.

I haven't seen these instructions anywhere but on bimmer.nav. Has anyone every tried this? Any concerns about leaving the key in the accessory position all night on a battery charger?
    Pete

I don't see any issues with doing that. The key recharges from being in the ignition while driving, this just saves you some miles on the car.
    2005 Jet Black 6MT ZHP "Family First"
    ~Rob~

Well, I'll report back in the morning. Gonna give this a shot. Of course, if the key is just bad and won't take a charge regardless, I'll never know if this was a good process for charging or not............. Think positive
    Pete

Hope it works. A battery that's been dead for 9 years tends to stay dead.

Even if it does end up being dead, there is a way to replace the battery inside of it with a CR2032 battery, if you're feeling adventurous. At least you wouldn't have to spend upwards of $200 for a new key.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Quote Originally Posted by az3579 View Post
    Even if it does end up being dead, there is a way to replace the battery inside of it with a CR2032 battery, if you're feeling adventurous. At least you wouldn't have to spend upwards of $200 for a new key.
    -Chris

Well, end result - that didn't work.

I guess you're right - dead is dead

Since I do have 1 fully functional FOB, I think the 2nd key is headed right back into the drawer - for use only as an emergency back up. That's the other way to save $200
    Pete

Same thing happened to me. Dead key wouldn't recharge no matter what, so it went in the drawer as a backup and I ordered a fresh one. Sad.

Have you checked Scott's site, or considered contacting him? https://www.bmwgm5.com/bmwgm5/Keys.htm
    2006 330ci ZHP - Silbergrau Metallic / Stoff Laser/Anthrazit / Alu Black Cube trim / Adaptive Xenon headlights / HK hi-fi system / heated front seats

John - thanks for that tip on Scott's site. I just read through it, and since I had already left my car on the charger overnight with the key in the accessory position, I figured the FOB was probably charged. Best point on Scott's site was the Key Resync procedure, which he said was the most common failure

So I just did that procedure on both of my keys (30 seconds.....total) and I know have 2 working FOB's!

And absolutely thanks to Scott for creating his very informative website
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by pedro2u View Post
    John - thanks for that tip on Scott's site. I just read through it, and since I had already left my car on the charger overnight with the key in the accessory position, I figured the FOB was probably charged. Best point on Scott's site was the Key Resync procedure, which he said was the most common failure.
    So I just did that procedure on both of my keys (30 seconds....total) and I know have 2 working FOB's!
    I'm glad you checked it out & had success. I'd hoped you see the note where he charged extra to repair the fob after you'd screwed with it!
    2006 330ci ZHP - Silbergrau Metallic / Stoff Laser/Anthrazit / Alu Black Cube trim / Adaptive Xenon headlights / HK hi-fi system / heated front seats

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast