Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hood options?

Hood options?

Hello all,

As some of you are aware, I had a small run-in with a silly pole and an even more silly tree (in my opinion neither of them belong on a sharp exit curve of a low water crossing..) .. anyways, my car will very thankfully be fine, but I am considering different hood options now that I have a real reason to get a new one. I wouldn't mind considering something slightly sportier.

I did some light research, and now I'm not even sure if there actually exist any other options for a 330i ZHP. I'm seeing a few different carbon fibre ones, but they're all made by random aftermarket manufacturers and seem a little--shoddy, and maybe a little flimsy compared to OEM. Not too sure about those.

My mechanic said "stay away from carbon fibre", but added he could install an e46 M hood on instead. I do like the lines on those. However, the fit seems to be terrible, according to a few forums.

Are there any real alternatives to the OEM hood, or all they all pretty much cheap aftermarket options? TIA

Stock E46 hoods are heavy and if you live somewhere hot, they retain a lot of heat under them when you park. I really looked into the CF/vented options a while ago, but optioned out for aesthetics.

While there are lots of CF or GRP options of GTR hoods, or similar, of varying quality, there were a couple of reputable brands that are prized . Vorsteiner stands out in my memory, and I believe are now out of production. All will need a certain amount of fettling to get to fit.

I would still like a CF hood, for the weight, but mostly to vent under hood heat, but the massive GTR louvers put me off (plus they all a notable amount of rain water into the top of the engine.

Pluses and minuses, but there are quality options.

Cheers,
    Steve
    2004 330i ZHP ESS TS2 supercharged
    Silver Grey/Black leather, Xenons, factory Nav, 19" VMR V710 & 18" ZHP wheels for summer, Turner Motorsports rear sub-frame kit

Quote Originally Posted by prowlerflyer View Post
    Stock E46 hoods are heavy and if you live somewhere hot, they retain a lot of heat under them when you park. I really looked into the CF/vented options a while ago, but optioned out for aesthetics.

While there are lots of CF or GRP options of GTR hoods, or similar, of varying quality, there were a couple of reputable brands that are prized . Vorsteiner stands out in my memory, and I believe are now out of production. All will need a certain amount of fettling to get to fit.

I would still like a CF hood, for the weight, but mostly to vent under hood heat, but the massive GTR louvers put me off (plus they all a notable amount of rain water into the top of the engine.

Pluses and minuses, but there are quality options.

Cheers,
    Steve
    I'm in Texas with a black car--it gets up to 120 some summers. I had not even considered the heat aspect.

I believe the M good requires the fenders and bumper also to fit properly.

Cheapest route is to find someone parting a ZHP andthen have it painted would be my guess. A CF hood would be more expensive and then add in painting it to match as well.
    2005 BMW 330i ZHP - BMWP brakes/intake/strut bar/shifter, Coby wraps interior, BBS CHs, Eagle Eye LED tails, LED fog lights, GC coilovers, Sprint Booster/sport button mod, 4.5 LCM w/ programming, Xtrons 9inch HU, BSW stg1, dynamat, M3 sedan dead pedal, oCarbon CF interior trim, CF seat backs, 2x2 CF MTECH2 diffuser, CF cabin filter cover

The hood can be from any e46 sedan, years 2002 to 2005.
    2005 IR / black / 6MT
    157,000 miles

M3 hood won't fit as is - requires a complete front end retrofit, or an E46 sedan hood with an M3 power dome cut and welded in.

You're best off finding a stock facelifted sedan hood.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

I run an aftermarket carbon GTR rep hood. I'll see if I can find the manufacturer for it. The fit is good and the louvers do allow rain water in. I do an under hood detail once a week and have yet to find any issues with rain water. The under hood temps stay very low and it can look pretty good if done right.

Mine came with the car but I've messaged the original owner to see if he still has the paperwork for it. I'd second the stock facelift hood if you're worried about fitment issues and painting.

AFE stage 1 CAI, Silicone Stett Intake Boots, AA Headers and Exhaust, AA Tune, Cat Delete, Hicon GT Adjustable Coilovers, Quaife Helical LSD, EVO 3 SS Kit, UUC Organic Clutch w/ UUC LW Flywheel, GTR rep carbon fiber hood, CSL rep carbon fiber trunk, CDV delete, CP Forged Pistons & SP Forged Con Rods, MotoZ projector headlights, Sony bluetooth/touch nav, & lots of love
    -Ben

Quote Originally Posted by Fenrir View Post
    I run an aftermarket carbon GTR rep hood. I'll see if I can find the manufacturer for it. The fit is good and the louvers do allow rain water in. I do an under hood detail once a week and have yet to find any issues with rain water. The under hood temps stay very low and it can look pretty good if done right.

Mine came with the car but I've messaged the original owner to see if he still has the paperwork for it. I'd second the stock facelift hood if you're worried about fitment issues and painting.
    Awesome, appreciate it. Is it light enough that you're ever worried about structural integrity or the hood blowing open?

Quote Originally Posted by usinjin View Post
    Awesome, appreciate it. Is it light enough that you're ever worried about structural integrity or the hood blowing open?
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenrir View Post

Seibon is the company I've heard of that makes the hood for the E46. I think they make one that doesn't have the slots in the hood which saves a pretty sizable amount of weight.

As long as the hood is shut, the clamp will hold it down. The hood won't just blow open lol

One thing I've heard, is that because the hood is so light, you only need to run one hood strut because if you run two, it will eventually start to crack because of how light it is. The hood struts were designed to hold up much more weight and apply too much force.
    2005 Jet Black 6MT ZHP "Family First"
    ~Rob~

Quote Originally Posted by Newjack View Post
    Seibon is the company I've heard of that makes the hood for the E46. I think they make one that doesn't have the slots in the hood which saves a pretty sizable amount of weight.

As long as the hood is shut, the clamp will hold it down. The hood won't just blow open lol

One thing I've heard, is that because the hood is so light, you only need to run one hood strut because if you run two, it will eventually start to crack because of how light it is. The hood struts were designed to hold up much more weight and apply too much force.
    Agreed on the "blowing open" part, my mechanic seemed to think this was a possibility--I probably didn't understand him correctly. Any idea what the build quality of these is?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast