Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast

ZHP NA Project - More Power

I'm planning on adding some performance mods on my ZHP to increase HP. At the moment the stats on my car are:

Name:  20180407_163246s.jpg
Views: 4459
Size:  137.2 KB
    Name:  20180407_163638_001s.jpg
Views: 4251
Size:  86.6 KB

Year: 2004 6 spd M/T
    Mileage: 250 000 Km
    Engine has been rebuilt from 0 and only clocks 25 000 Km
    Weight: 1500 Kg
    Dry Compression Tests: 11.5 Bar in all cylinders (above the minimum stated in manual, check the image below)

The car is completely stock apart from the exhaust being de-catted and i have installed K&N filter in the stock airbox.
    I've got a magnaflow x-pipe #11385 installed as a muffler sound amazing. The wheels are AC Schnitzer Type 3 8.5J + 15MM Spacers
    And a front upper strut brace from Europe (adjustable).

Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 4054
Size:  19.5 KB

After too many topics and reviews on what mods to first install i chose to start with headers as it gives the most power when comparing HP vs Money spent. I purchased ebay headers for a bargain price of 83$ They are made in china, so called supersprint replicas.

(Link: https://www.ebay.com/itm/SS-98-05-Ex...-/112898795384)

Name:  Headers Ebay #1 s.jpg
Views: 4638
Size:  49.4 KB
    Name:  Headers Ebay #2 s.jpg
Views: 4371
Size:  43.0 KB
    Name:  Headers Ebay #3 s.jpg
Views: 4079
Size:  49.5 KB
    Name:  Headers Ebay #4.JPG
Views: 4038
Size:  62.2 KB

Note that headers differ according models. 330/325 differ from 328/323. 330/325 is llonger with flanges rotated in different directions (check the picture)

Name:  aHEADERCOMAPRISON1.jpg
Views: 4498
Size:  55.8 KB

Providing that i live in Georgia (the country located in Europe), i have to ship the headers from USA back to Georgia. At the moment i am waiting on the shipping company to deliver the headers to me, approximately 28.04.2018 I am thinking on buying Ceramic Coat Paint to paint the headers, as not it only provides protection against corrosion but the heat won't be transferred in the engine bay and will remain in the headers thus increasing the temperature of the tubes resulting in expanded gases that will rapidly flow from the exhaust, in other words more hp. The reason i chose ceramic painting headers apart from wrapping them was that a lot of people posted burnt headers with holes in them due to wrap. (check the link: https://www.centuryperformance.com/e...o-not-use.html)

The paint i chose is VHT Flame Proof that withstands from 700-1000 celsius degrees. (link of the product: http://www.vhtpaint.com/high-heat/vh...eproof-coating)

At the end of the month i am planning on installing and ceramic coating the headers. I want to dyno the car before i install anything, if i do i will post the dyno graph.

As soon as i have news i will update the topic.
    Last edited by BerDz3nA; 04-20-2018 at 03:35 PM.
    ZHP 2004 6M/T Silver Grey - BBS RGR R18 8.5 ET38 RG734H & 9J ET45 RG762H Forged - Gruppe M Air Intake - Supersprint Replica Headers - N52 TB - Ported Head - MS43 ECU Conversion - 7000RPM - ETS Tuned - Tein Street Advance Z Coilovers

Good stuff!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Randeaux/Rando/John/jr - '06 Cic ZHP; Southern California
    "ZHP or not, I still like you"

ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV, Anthracite Black "my individual" interior trim
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Suspension: AST 44100 dampers, Bimmerworld front adjustable end links, Swift springs (8K front, 10K rear), Vorshlag camber plates
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors
    Note: Actual car no longer resembles signature picture

I believe the correct way to ceramic coat headers is actually to apply it on both the inside and outside. If you’re planning to DIY, you might be better off with a header wrap.

Some info: (just Googled it)
    http://www.autoanything.com/exhausts...orsepower-best
    -Chris

Quote Originally Posted by cornercarver View Post
    I believe the correct way to ceramic coat headers is actually to apply it on both the inside and outside. If you’re planning to DIY, you might be better off with a header wrap.

Some info: (just Googled it)
    http://www.autoanything.com/exhausts...orsepower-best
    I will just do the outside, it give a significant difference. Wraps csn damage the header check my link above for info.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
    ZHP 2004 6M/T Silver Grey - BBS RGR R18 8.5 ET38 RG734H & 9J ET45 RG762H Forged - Gruppe M Air Intake - Supersprint Replica Headers - N52 TB - Ported Head - MS43 ECU Conversion - 7000RPM - ETS Tuned - Tein Street Advance Z Coilovers

11.5 bar is actually a little on the low side compared to what others are getting... that's about what my car did on a compression test and I'm about 30-40 HP below what others with similar mods got on the Dyno. Doesn't mean there is anything wrong with your car though as long as all of the cylinder are around the same compression

You are really going to like the car with headers!
    I would use OEM style gaskets. The gaskets that come with them are not very good. Plus, the OEM style gaskets have a heat shield built into them which is good since the valve cover is plastic.

Your car looks great!
    Dinan CAI &Throttle body, ESS Tuning TS2, Bimmerbrakes gen3 headers, UUC SSK & DSSR. Achilles oil pump, VAC oil pan baffle
    M3 Motor mounts, UUC Trans mounts, Modified clutch style LSD 3.15, TMS front subframe reinforcement, Koni Yellow sports,
    H&R sport springs,
    UUC sway bars, BMW Perf. Rotors, UUC SS brake lines, Hawk HPS pads, CSL replica wheels,
    Rotora strut bar, FXR HID conversion, M3 Mirror conversion, BSW stage 1 speakers

What kind of butt dyno improvement are you looking at with headers?

Improvement is increase in torque through out the whole RPM range butt dyno and real dyno
    Dinan CAI &Throttle body, ESS Tuning TS2, Bimmerbrakes gen3 headers, UUC SSK & DSSR. Achilles oil pump, VAC oil pan baffle
    M3 Motor mounts, UUC Trans mounts, Modified clutch style LSD 3.15, TMS front subframe reinforcement, Koni Yellow sports,
    H&R sport springs,
    UUC sway bars, BMW Perf. Rotors, UUC SS brake lines, Hawk HPS pads, CSL replica wheels,
    Rotora strut bar, FXR HID conversion, M3 Mirror conversion, BSW stage 1 speakers

Quote Originally Posted by Sockethead View Post
    11.5 bar is actually a little on the low side compared to what others are getting... that's about what my car did on a compression test and I'm about 30-40 HP below what others with similar mods got on the Dyno. Doesn't mean there is anything wrong with your car though as long as all of the cylinder are around the same compression

You are really going to like the car with headers!
    I would use OEM style gaskets. The gaskets that come with them are not very good. Plus, the OEM style gaskets have a heat shield built into them which is good since the valve cover is plastic.

Your car looks great!
    Yeap it is low comparing to others but when comparing to factory numbers it's quite high. Every car here that runs as a stock should do reads 10.5-11.5 bars. I just don't get it how they read that high numbers.

Looking forward to the headers. I've seen posts that it makes bigger difference in a ZHP rather than a 330 due to the cams and tune. I suppose it will make even more with a cold air intake.

Thanks for liking my car

My "theory" on the different compression numbers is that some cars have more carbon buildup in the combustion chamber... If you've ever seen the piston tops and combustion chambers of some engines, that layer can be quite thick... that has to add something to the compression... I can't imagine that the production specs could be that far off in this day and age of CNC machining and modern quality control...
    H&R sport springs,

Another internet theory is that the gunk can gum up the rings hindering their seal. I have seen some threads showing a marked improvement by soaking the cylinders in mystery oil type crap over night blowing it out and rolling down the street.

I habitually used Lucas top end treatment and the valves looks mint.
    Family that races together stays together
    2005 330Ci 6MT SGM (x2)

Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast