Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP

Dinan intake swap

My ZHP has several Dinan bits, including the now-discontinued Dinan long tube CAI that was already on it when I bought it in 2013. Paperwork shows it was installed by the dealership when the car was new in 2004. Also have their hi-flow throttle-body and requisite Stage-3 engine software.

The car runs great, and the CAI in particular sounds great. But, I'm considering changing over to their newer intake system that incorporates the stock OE air box (which I'll have to buy separately as well). The main reason I'm thinking of making the switch is that back & hip issues make it very difficult for me to service the air filter on the CAI without a lift (if you're not familiar with these, the filter sits behind the brake duct down at the bottom of the bumper cover).

IIRC, the claimed power increase for the long-tube CAI was 11 HP and 9 ft/lb torque (edit: oops, now seeing someone say it's more like 7 HP on this engine), whereas the newer air-box system is claimed at +6 HP and +5 ft/lb torque. I'm really not terribly worried about losing a few ponies, but will hold on to the long-tube until I'm sure I'm okay with the new intake.

Wondering if anyone is running the one I'm looking at switching to and how you feel about it? And I'd especially love to hear input and comparo from anyone with experience with both. Or, if there are better options out there (at a reasonable price - i.e. not gonna' spring $$$$ for Gruppe M).

Also wondering what a fair asking price for the long-tube CAI would be if I were to sell it? Seems pretty rare. I can't find a listing anywhere of someone selling one at the moment. BTW, it's the original aluminum tubed version, not the later carbon fiber one.

Name:  D760-0002_600x.jpg
Views: 794
Size:  30.9 KB

I have the Dinan intake pictured above. The throttle response is great and it sounds slightly throatier at 3500rpm and above.

I actually have a spare one if you want it. Could use a new filter though.
    330i Base | Mysticblau | Slicktop | 6MT

Quote Originally Posted by Galapolis View Post
    I have the Dinan intake pictured above. The throttle response is great and it sounds slightly throatier at 3500rpm and above.

I actually have a spare one if you want it. Could use a new filter though.
    Nice. PM sent. Thanks.

Unless you need the money, I would hold on to the Dinan intake. Especially if its in near perfect/mint shape. Parts like those for our cars (i.e. BMWP strut bars/intakes etc.) are all increasing in value.

I have a BMWP intake and I don't notice any power difference but it does sound a tad better.
    2005 BMW 330i ZHP - BMWP brakes/intake/strut bar/shifter, Coby wraps interior, BBS CHs, Eagle Eye LED tails, LED fog lights, GC coilovers, Sprint Booster/sport button mod, 4.5 LCM w/ programming, Xtrons 9inch HU, BSW stg1, dynamat, M3 sedan dead pedal, oCarbon CF interior trim, CF seat backs, 2x2 CF MTECH2 diffuser, CF cabin filter cover

Quote Originally Posted by BADCLOWN View Post
    Unless you need the money, I would hold on to the Dinan intake. Especially if its in near perfect/mint shape. Parts like those for our cars (i.e. BMWP strut bars/intakes etc.) are all increasing in value.

I have a BMWP intake and I don't notice any power difference but it does sound a tad better.
    Makes sense!

@Galapolis was kind and generous to offer me parts for the Dinan airbox conversion.

In the meantime I've been gathering all the parts for the stock airbox. Was lucky enough to find the main airbox used in GC at a decent price. Also a few other connecting tubes, hardware, and a new MAF boot. But I could use some help on one part I'm puzzled about. I bought this car with the long-tube CAI installed, and though I've had a couple of other e46's in the past I never paid much attention to the airbox details. Fortunately they left the "over radiator" air scoop intact, but virtually nothing else of the OEM intake up to the boot to the MAF (which I'll replace with new rubber anyway).

In particular, this "hose clamp" SKU 13717502564 shows up on the intake schematic, but I have no idea where it goes... or why... or if I really need it. Any help would be appreciated, as well as any other advice such as fitment tips.

Name:  hose-clamp-13717502564.jpg
Views: 831
Size:  20.0 KB

Yes you'll need it. It goes on the driver's side frame rail. It secures a coolant hose and centers the air box on top of it.

2004 BMW 330CI ZHP, Silver Grey Metallic, Dinan: Stage 2 Software, High Flow Intake,
    Free Flow Exhaust, Front Strut Bar, Stage 2 Suspension System, Staggered Hartge Replica Wheels,
    M3 Mirrors (Side and Interior), M3 Seats

Quote Originally Posted by PdZHP View Post
    Yes you'll need it. It goes on the driver's side frame rail. It secures a coolant hose and centers the air box on top of it.
    Thank you. I wonder if it's still there and I'm just missing where to look for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bird-Dog View Post
    @Galapolis was kind and generous to offer me parts for the Dinan airbox conversion.
    Yeah about that... Long story but to keep it short I don't have a spare anymore after all. Sorry about that confusion. They are easy and cheap to buy though so that shouldn't be a problem.
    330i Base | Mysticblau | Slicktop | 6MT

Quote Originally Posted by Galapolis View Post
    Yeah about that... Long story but to keep it short I don't have a spare anymore after all. Sorry about that confusion. They are easy and cheap to buy though so that shouldn't be a problem.
    Okay. Well, thank you anyway. It was kind of you to offer.