Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP

A/C Recharge not going to plan.

Summer is approaching, and my A/C is not working. So, I just attempted to recharge my system. Here is my story:
    - got dual gauge manifold, checked system pressure, 0 psi on high side, 5 psi on low side.
    - evacuated tiny bit of remaining refrigerant from low side
    - attached low side to vacuum pump and and vacuumed for 30 minutes
    - closed lines, shut off vacuum and let sit for 1 hour to see if vacuum held; it did.
    - Vacuumed for another hour to get as much moisture out of the system as possible, AC has not worked for a while as far as I know, I bought the car in September 2017 and it was on the list of problems in the PPI.
    - Closed lines, turned off vacuum, attached refrigerant to yellow service line, opened refrigerant, purged air from line, opened low side line, and psi on lowside increased to 30.
    - started the engine, turned on ac, and examined compressor. it was engaging intermittently for about a minute, then engaged continuously.
    - pressure on low side climbed to 45 psi, but never dropped when compressor engaged. High side pressure rose very slowly to about 50 psi, then neither pressure really increased after that.
    - compressor engaged, but ac still blowing warm. Had to leave, so I took the car for a drive, keeping the AC on. Noticed a loud hissing sound in the dash and immediately turned the AC off.

Does anyone know what this could be? It's like theres a blockage between the low pressure side and high pressure side, or the compressor just isn't pulling the gas through.
    I will note that engine was cold when I began this procedure.
    ~ 2005 330ci ZHP Silbergrau | Black cube | Leather ~
    Current Mods: Akebono brake pads, Bilstein B4 Rear Shocks, Beisan Systems VANOS Rebuild, G.A.S. DISA O-ring, Morimoto fog lights, StopTech SS brake lines, Subwoofer tennis ball mod, Switchback Angel Eyes (turn signal), Zimmermann drilled rotors.
    My project thread ---> http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showt...into-a-reality

Just went back to see if i can get better results with a hot engine, and pressure has dropped significantly in 2 days. Now 30 PSI on low side and 25 psi on high side. Compressor did not even engage this time, i am assuming because of low pressure. I am going to recharge, inject some uv dye and see where the leak is coming from.
    Current Mods: Akebono brake pads, Bilstein B4 Rear Shocks, Beisan Systems VANOS Rebuild, G.A.S. DISA O-ring, Morimoto fog lights, StopTech SS brake lines, Subwoofer tennis ball mod, Switchback Angel Eyes (turn signal), Zimmermann drilled rotors.

So the uv dye is not showing up anywhere, but there's definitely a substantial leak. Took the car to get the A/C checked out, and they found the leaks to be in the condenser, and the end of one of the hoses (did not tell me which one, but I am assuming it's an o-ring problem).
    So I think I am just going to overhaul the entire system, buying a new expansion valve, receiver/drier and o-rings. What I want to know is, is there a way to repair a leak in the condenser rather than have to replace the whole thing? It's an expensive part, and I really hope i can just fix the leak rather than buy a new part. I appreciate the help.

I believe your best bet is to replace the condenser. That's what I did with my Ford Tempo some years ago. Very likely I looked into a possible repair first.
    2005 IR / black / 6MT
    157,000 miles

Either the condenser or the pressure switch.

His - 2004 Imola Red / Alcantara 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

Her's - 2005 Black Sapphire Metallic / Black Leather 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

Quote Originally Posted by fredo View Post
    I believe your best bet is to replace the condenser. That's what I did with my Ford Tempo some years ago. Very likely I looked into a possible repair first.
    I guess it wouldn't be that bad to replace it. A Behr unit is like $100.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vas View Post
    Either the condenser or the pressure switch.
    Do you mean it could be leaking from the pressure switch, and not the actual condenser?

Quote Originally Posted by papa_g View Post
    I guess it wouldn't be that bad to replace it. A Behr unit is like $100.

Do you mean it could be leaking from the pressure switch, and not the actual condenser?
    Correct. Personally I would replace that since the pressure switch is what sends the signal to turn on the a/c compressor. Plus it cheaper then the condenser.

His - 2004 Imola Red / Alcantara 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

Her's - 2005 Black Sapphire Metallic / Black Leather 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

wait.. isn't the pressure switch on the drier? A/C compressor turns on when low side pressure reaches ~30, and they did not find a leak in the vicinity of the drier.