Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Vanos Rattle - Repair Immediately?

Gang,

I’m hearing what sounds like it might be vanos rattle. Is it something I should diagnose immediately or you think it could wait a week until my local indy shop can get to it?

Just wondering if it’s safe to drive without seizing something.

Also; How does one determine if it is vanos rattle? I searched YouTube and found a few videos, but none of them really clearly shows what it sounds like...at least, they don’t seem to sound like what I’m hearing. Maybe it’s because I’m hearing it from inside the cabin while driving, with the hood closed, not listening at the front of the engine bay.
    -Chris

Let it go a week. It'll be OK.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Could it be the DISA valve? Mine startled rattling big time last fall at 50k miles. Rebuilt with the GAS kit--no more rattle. Easy to test..

Thanks.

I put a brick on the gas pedal and rev’d to about 2000 RPMs so I could listen from the engine bay… Pretty sure it’s the vanos; Sounds the same as the other videos I’ve seen on YouTube.

This is mine;

(Sorry - terrible video.)
    -Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Reasoned1 View Post
    Could it be the DISA valve? Mine startled rattling big time last fall at 50k miles. Rebuilt with the GAS kit--no more rattle. Easy to test..
    Not likely - just replaced it a couple hundred miles ago.
    -Chris

So is the vanos seal repair all that is necessary? I realize it’s a laborious task, but if it’s just the seals that need to be replaced that’s a lot cheaper than the whole Vanos itself.
    -Chris

I've only replaced the VANOS seals, but I know the anti-rattle kit is a separate thing.

Do both at the same time. Only trick on the anti rattle is if you have to sand to size the washers.
    Family that races together stays together
    2005 330Ci 6MT SGM (x2)

The rattle is completely harmless. If the noise itself doesn't bother you then don't worry about it.

The rattle in the video is the infamous 2k rattle that lots of BMWs with VANOS have.

Mine rattled when I bought it 8 years ago and it still rattles today. My E30 w/ S50 rattled as well.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Quote Originally Posted by az3579 View Post
    The rattle is completely harmless. If the noise itself doesn't bother you then don't worry about it.
    I read somewhere that one problem associated with the rattle is a loss of power...any truth to that?

I think I’m going to repair it anyway. The noise does bother me. I’ve been reading about the different repair methods (Beisan vs. Dr. Vanos) and the repair itself is reportedly easy...just time consuming.

I’m going the Beisan route because A) it’s cheaper than Dr. Vanos and B) you can sand the washers/ shims to ensure no axial play. I don’t want to spend $300+ for the DV kit and potentially still have the rattle after spending 5 hours repairing it.
    -Chris

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast