Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Welcome, Jason... I look forward to picking your brain about the twin-screw.

New member from TX!

Welcome!

Good to see another Rocket Man here. I work as a Tooling Eng on SLS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by 3ZHPGUY; 04-29-2018 at 05:30 AM.

Dinan; Hign Flow Intake System, & Strut Tower Brace
    Turner Motorsports; Underdrive Power Pulleys
    Koni Sport, Bridgestone; Potenza RE-11, Coby Wheel
    Stewart High Performance Water Pump
    Hawk High Performance Street 5.0 Brake Pads
    Brembo Rotor

The purposeful face of a formidable athlete:

The spine-tingling 330i Performance Package.

Purchased CPO on 12/23/2006 with 28,090 miles

Quote Originally Posted by Vas View Post
    I remember that car. Good luck finding the next one

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    +1

Welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Reasoned1 View Post
    Welcome, Jason... I look forward to picking your brain about the twin-screw.
    Pick away! Are you considering going FI with a TS?

Quote Originally Posted by 3ZHPGUY View Post
    Welcome!

Good to see another Rocket Man here. I work as a Tooling Eng on SLS.
    Thank you! Awesome work on the SLS!! Man it's gonna be HUGE! Was never so captivated by aerospace before seeing the shuttle launches and now we're launching from the very same pad!

I am--keeping my eyes open for a sale. From what I've read, there's very little reason to consider anything but an ESS twin screw--stellar reputation for service and quality, low end performance (which really cinches it for me), high efficiency, and not a lot more money. The only thing I'm having trouble deciding is between TS1 and TS2. I don't track--just tool around having fun where there's little traffic and it doesn't get too hot, so I'm wondering if I need the intercooler? Consider your brain picked...
    Last edited by Reasoned1; 05-08-2018 at 03:05 PM.

Rob (sockethead) know a lot about those. Due to having an auto, not wanting to deal with an intercooler, and to save a bit of cost, I went with a Stage 1. The car ro me feels like it should from the factory, fast and responsive, but not crazy fast. If you REALLY want speed, go Stage 2 or more. I am satisfied with my Stage 1 but it doesn't blow me away.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Randeaux/Rando/John/jr - '06 Cic ZHP; Southern California
    "ZHP or not, I still like you"

ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV, Anthracite Black "my individual" interior trim
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Suspension: AST 44100 dampers, Bimmerworld front adjustable end links, Swift springs (8K front, 10K rear), Vorshlag camber plates
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors
    Note: Actual car no longer resembles signature picture

That's interesting... The power/torque specs don't seem wildly different between the two. I'm more concerned about heat soak and unreliable output--that's what everybody theorizes about but never quantifies. Do you experience that?

If you're considering a TS, I would go straight for the Intercooled TS2. Heat is detrimental to compressed air and can cause detonation. Water to air intercoolers are something like 20x more effective vs air/air. A colder plug is also recommended in hotter climates in addition to altered maps.

I have a larger intercooler on my TS3 and it's pumped with a larger pump and a reservoir.

I appreciate and trust your first-hand recommendation and would go with the TS2 version based on it, but even your explanation falls short of describing a perceived (directly or indirectly) performance issue with the TS1 due to lack of the intercooler (particularly for my driving conditions). I would love to hear somebody respond something to the effect of "Don't get the TS1, because my northern, rural buddy got one to tool around with, and it would die on him after 30 minutes of spirited driving and at every stop light."

You likely won’t hear that because the ESS TS is such a robust and well built system. My concern with a TS1 is heat soak and boost fade due to heat. I’d guess around 2psi loss on the warmest days. If you’re anything like me, you’ll become accustomed to the extra power and that will leave you wanting more. Fortunately, ESS already includes the provisions for the laminova cores in the manifold so you can fully upgrade to TS2 at a later date.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast