Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Full size spare?

Just got an 05 ZHP sedan and it has a space saver spare.
    I’d like to carry a full size spare, as I routinely drive 350 mile round trips in the wilds of Eastern Washington where services are few and far between.

The 330xi I’ve had for the last 7 years came with a full size, 17” spare, and it’s actually a very tight fit to get in and out and clear the plastic trim.

I don’t know if it would be even worse with 18 inch wheels with wider tires.

I’m running stock 135s.

What do you all do for spare tires? (That will fit in the spare tire well, LOL)

I just rock the donut space saver. I think you can get away with a front style 135 wheel in there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCurves View Post
    I just rock the donut space saver. I think you can get away with a front style 135 wheel in there.

Right on. Donut spare and a little DC outlet compressor can get you home from anywhere.

Affirm

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

LOL, yeah, but you guys live in civilization.
    It’s different out here. I want something I can go 170 miles on at 70mph.

05 ZHP Sedan, auto, Orientblau, natural brown

I wonder if having a full size spare is negated by having a staggered setup. Lets say a rear tire goes out and you have a front full size spare. How would drivability be affected if you now have a 225 tire on the left rear and 255 tire on the right rear simultaneously? Is that why spare donuts are speed restricted?

2004 Titansilber Metallic BMW 330i ZHP

Quote Originally Posted by JPMo View Post
    I wonder if having a full size spare is negated by having a staggered setup. Lets say a rear tire goes out and you have a front full size spare. How would drivability be affected if you now have a 225 tire on the left rear and 255 tire on the right rear simultaneously? Is that why spare donuts are speed restricted?
    It wouldn't be that much different. Assuming the rim is the same height and the tire has the same sidewall, you shouldn't notice much of a difference with casual driving or highway driving.

Spare donuts are speed restricted because they aren't performance tires. They aren't rated for high speeds, because they are just meant to get you to the nearest shop to have a new tire replaced.

Tires have a letter rating on them which tells you the max speed you can safely operate the tire at. Exceeding the speed can cause a number of problems that aren't safe. This is why winter tires (especially studs) have a much lower speed rating than summer performance tires. Different applications.
    2005 Jet Black 6MT ZHP "Family First"
    ~Rob~

Quote Originally Posted by JPMo View Post
    Shouldn't be a big deal for limping it home as long as you don't have an LSD

Quote Originally Posted by ZHPizza View Post
    Shouldn't be a big deal for limping it home as long as you don't have an LSD
    Even then, shouldn’t it basically be fine as long as you’re not hooning it? AFAIK the overall diameter front and rear are the same if you’re using factory sizes which should negate most concern of damage to the diff.

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying
    Even then, shouldn’t it basically be fine as long as you’re not hooning it? AFAIK the overall diameter front and rear are the same if you’re using factory sizes which should negate most concern of damage to the diff.

They're definitely close, but not the same diameter. I don't know much about how sensitive LSDs are with different diameters, but I know you can really jack up the transfer case on an AWD just by mixing new tires with worn.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast