Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tire suggestion

Quote Originally Posted by slater View Post
    yes, but it could break the rear end loose.

personally, i'm on the fence about square vs staggered. my thoughts:

STAGGERED (does that mean off balance? )
    how it came from the factory. awesome steering feel (well, dependent on tire choice), safer. the rears wear faster on our cars so it means you're doing 2x as many rear sets of tires as front sets. and if you're running directional tires, no ability to rotate the tires anywhere else on the car.

SQUARE (wait, aren't they round?)
    better ultimate front end grip, and tire rotation-ability; if you're running non-directional tires, you can put rotate them anywhere.

my take on the whole frig
    i'm running a 245/38/18 'square' setup, on 18x8.5" wheels. 3mm spacer in the rear. at first i thought i would try this setup for better tire rotation abilities and increased front end grip - which there definitely is - but now i'm not so sure i want to stay here. when i'm pushing the car - man, that increased front end grip is great! but the other 95% of my driving is done sedately, and i find that the square setup is a bit twitchier feeling - plus 245's up front kind of numb the on-center steering feel. so i might go back to a staggered setup to gain highway some on-center feel and more relaxed highway manners.

that's a 0.6" different in outside diameter - pretty huge.

it is and it isn't. let me explain:

stock:
    225/40/18 = 25.1" OD (front)
    255/35/18 = 25" OD (rear)

or:
    245/35/18 = 24.8" OD
    235/40/18 = 25.4" OD

so they're kinda equally close.
    Being able to break the rear end loose at whim is pretty much why I've kept the 235 setup. I enjoy some tail out antics from time to time. And controlled oversteer is a great way to get rid of overspeed understeer. Also, with DSC, breaking loose rarely happens. Even in the wet. Off DSC? I was running 255's in the rear and could still light the tires.

I will say that even on the track, you have to be doing something very wrong to step out with 235s. I have never run all weathers on this setup though. It's always been grip oriented summer tires. With a UHP style tire, I have been able to hang way above my weight class.

235/40s keep me in that happy spot between total grip or let's smash the giggle peddle and go sideways.

In the end? Buyer's choice. Above is just my personal opinion and preferences.
    Last edited by Fenrir; 05-08-2018 at 02:49 AM.

AFE stage 1 CAI, Silicone Stett Intake Boots, AA Headers and Exhaust, AA Tune, Cat Delete, Hicon GT Adjustable Coilovers, Quaife Helical LSD, EVO 3 SS Kit, UUC Organic Clutch w/ UUC LW Flywheel, GTR rep carbon fiber hood, CSL rep carbon fiber trunk, CDV delete, CP Forged Pistons & SP Forged Con Rods, MotoZ projector headlights, Sony bluetooth/touch nav, & lots of love
    -Ben

Even with a staggered wheel setup at 18x8 and 18.5 you're saying to run a square tire setup?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Yup. Doesn't hurt anything at all. 245's are the most popular choice. As stated above by a few, you can rotate if they're non-directional. I run the size I do for my own silly reasons lol. But you'll not damage anything by running square. And you'll loose some of the inherent understeer of the stock staggered setup as well.

AFE stage 1 CAI, Silicone Stett Intake Boots, AA Headers and Exhaust, AA Tune, Cat Delete, Hicon GT Adjustable Coilovers, Quaife Helical LSD, EVO 3 SS Kit, UUC Organic Clutch w/ UUC LW Flywheel, GTR rep carbon fiber hood, CSL rep carbon fiber trunk, CDV delete, CP Forged Pistons & SP Forged Con Rods, MotoZ projector headlights, Sony bluetooth/touch nav, & lots of love
    -Ben

Personally, I'd gladly trade a tiny bit of on center responsiveness (because it really isn't that bad) to get rid of understeer. Understeer completely ruins the party.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

The brand of tire matters as almost much as the size rating. For example the Michelin PSS tires in 255 width were significantly wider than the Firehawk Indy 500s in the same width. Something to consider.

I will always run staggered on a RWD car. Esp when it came that way from the factory.
    --Wes--

04 330i ZHP Oxford Green/Natural Brown
    04 330Ci ZHP Silvergrey/Alcantara (RIP)

Exactly this!
    Quote Originally Posted by az3579 View Post
    Personally, I'd gladly trade a tiny bit of on center responsiveness (because it really isn't that bad) to get rid of understeer. Understeer completely ruins the party.
    Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Randeaux/Rando/John/jr - '06 Cic ZHP; Southern California
    "ZHP or not, I still like you"

ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV, Anthracite Black "my individual" interior trim
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Suspension: AST 44100 dampers, Bimmerworld front adjustable end links, Swift springs (8K front, 10K rear), Vorshlag camber plates
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors
    Note: Actual car no longer resembles signature picture

Sounds good.. Looking at the Continental DWS
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenrir View Post
    Yup. Doesn't hurt anything at all. 245's are the most popular choice. As stated above by a few, you can rotate if they're non-directional. I run the size I do for my own silly reasons lol. But you'll not damage anything by running square. And you'll loose some of the inherent understeer of the stock staggered setup as well.
    Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I run the staggard setup. I think it looks great on our cars and handles very well. Plus, I never have to buy 4 tires at once

DWS has a pretty soft sidewall, very noticeable when switching from a performance summer tire but you'll get used to it after a while...
    Dinan CAI &Throttle body, ESS Tuning TS2, Bimmerbrakes gen3 headers, UUC SSK & DSSR. Achilles oil pump, VAC oil pan baffle
    M3 Motor mounts, UUC Trans mounts, Modified clutch style LSD 3.15, TMS front subframe reinforcement, Koni Yellow sports,
    H&R sport springs,
    UUC sway bars, BMW Perf. Rotors, UUC SS brake lines, Hawk HPS pads, CSL replica wheels,
    Rotora strut bar, FXR HID conversion, M3 Mirror conversion, BSW stage 1 speakers

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying
    I run 255 squared. I like it. If you're worried about oversteer vs understeer, that can always be tuned to a degree between the sway bars and the tire pressure. But with a car where the weight is 50/50, the tire footprint should also be in my opinion. On center feel is more about corner weight than tire width in my opinion. I bought my car with 205/55/16's, then went to 68's with a front 225/40/17, and then ran reverse staggered to get more front grip with the 245/40/17. I ran the 245 for just over a year. I was waiting for my new wheels so I was on my friends girlfriends 215/40/17 and I got all this steering feel back that I didn't realize I lost.

With my 255's, my corner weight is about 43lbs before air. I have the same amount of feel as I did with the 215's, although now I have the opposite problem in that my steering is too light because the wheels are so light. Now I may need under drive pulleys for the PS...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12