Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by usinjin View Post
    Probably a better idea. The issue I think is my mechanic wants to save me the maximum amount of money possible by pulling everything used off of another car. I don’t want that. I’d rather spend the $$ on good parts. If I wanted a cheap car, I would be driving a ‘90-something Camry. XD

Looking at pulleys, I was also reminded that I’ve been considering a nicer set of aluminum power pulleys (maybe the TMS ones). More of this somewhat silly saga sure to come.
    Haha I was about to say you might as well get some underdrive pullies. You can get the bumper support pieces from any pull-a-part car or maybe even eBay.

i have a good radiator support, but shipping will be ridiculous from here, unfortunately.
    peter

2004 330i ZHP
    2005 330iT ZHP
    2010 328iT M Sport

Finally talked in person with my mechanic.

The $1500 estimate was for the labor. Ah, that makes more sense. That price covers all necessary towing, the frame straightening, painting (in my case the bumper), and the installation of all replacement parts into my car.

That figure does not account for the parts. He wants me to purchase that blown 330i I posted a picture of for $900. I’m not sure this is the best idea. I told him I am going to buy a new radiator instead of using the one that came off a car that had been overheated (hello??). I also want to buy new power pulleys instead of the plastic OEM ones. Am I safe with the rest off that car (radiator support, fans, bumper support, fan clutch, etc)?

What I am hoping is someone will come back on here and say “you can buy all those parts new for within $400 of that $900 used 330i. Buy everything new instead.”

I would consider the $900 car plus a new radiator. You can sell the parts car after the job is completed and get some of your money back.
    2005 IR / black / 6MT
    157,000 miles

Quote Originally Posted by fredo View Post
    I would consider the $900 car plus a new radiator. You can sell the parts car after the job is completed and get some of your money back.
    If you have the space and time to accommodate a parts car, you could part that car out and make all your money back and then some. This could turn a profit. I originally thought he was recommending you swap your stuff into that car. Dunno why I thought that. lol

You should be fine to use the radiator support. Does that parts car have the electric fan? Automatics used regular fans with fan clutches while manual ZHPs have electric fans (the better choice). Just something to note.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Quote Originally Posted by az3579 View Post
    If you have the space and time to accommodate a parts car, you could part that car out and make all your money back and then some. This could turn a profit. I originally thought he was recommending you swap your stuff into that car. Dunno why I thought that. lol

You should be fine to use the radiator support. Does that parts car have the electric fan? Automatics used regular fans with fan clutches while manual ZHPs have electric fans (the better choice). Just something to note.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
    Yes, that would be an enormous and very depressing downgrade to go to a ratty stock 325i with a blown engine
    Last edited by usinjin; 05-28-2018 at 03:39 AM.

Well, on the way to driving it to be repainted, evidently the tranny lost all its fluid due to a crack. Back to the shop it goes for a new one...

Quote Originally Posted by usinjin View Post
    Well, on the way to driving it to be repainted, evidently the tranny lost all its fluid due to a crack. Back to the shop it goes for a new one...
    ahh, frig. sorry man.
    peter

2004 330i ZHP
    2005 330iT ZHP
    2010 328iT M Sport

No bueno. I assume you can not use the tranny from your parts car ?
    2005 IR / black / 6MT
    157,000 miles

Quote Originally Posted by fredo View Post
    No bueno. I assume you can not use the tranny from your parts car ?
    I'm going to assume not. I don't have the VIN for the 325. Googling is giving me unreliable information. realoem says no.

Edit: Mechanic says no, the 325 doesn't have the GM tranny. He added "don't worry, all will be okay"

hhhhnnggggggg it's been 6 weeks
    Last edited by usinjin; 06-15-2018 at 11:44 AM.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast