Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Totaled my ZHP--what should I do?

Mafia, I write you today with the heaviest of hearts. Coming home from an incredibly long and exhausting trip, I took a curve too fast on a hill after it had just started to rain (in my own neighborhood of all places), and I spun out and hit a tree. I haven't gotten anyone to look at it yet, but I am positive that I've totaled it.

Name:  car1.jpeg
Views: 732
Size:  1.91 MB

Firstly, I am completely fine. Not so much as a bruise. What hurts the most is my pure idiocy. I feel unworthy to have ever driven such a beautiful machine, only to destroy it in an instant by driving irresponsibly.

I do not have collision insurance--only liability. The car is a total loss.

I write you today asking for advice. I'm a student still and simply am hoping to recover what I can from the vehicle in terms of monetary value.

It had just shy of 120,xxx miles on it.

The car is sitting at my house currently (the tow from 100 feet down the street to my house was $250.. -_-). Obviously the frame of the car is bent, the fans/radiator system is smashed, but from what I can tell, the damage may not extend inwards further than that, so the engine may be okay.

What would something like this be worth, and what might be the best course of action for me to take to recoup some fraction of its value at least? Get offers from local BMW shops? Attempt to part it out? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Any words would be appreciated, as a matter of fact. I've never wrecked a car before, and to wreck my wonderful ZHP made me feel like utter horsesh*t.

Thanks in advance.

Very sorry to hear the news. Glad you are ok. Are you in Austin TX ? I remember your screen name for some reason.

You will get more money if you part your car. However this could be time consuming and as a student you may not have that luxury.

GL, sir.
    2005 IR / black / 6MT
    157,000 miles

You may be able to recover a few thousand via part out.

Rims and tires + interior could fetch ~$2000 alone, depending on condition.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Sorry to hear. With liability coverage, your best bet is to with sell the car as is or part it out if you have the time and place for it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

His - 2004 Imola Red / Alcantara 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

Her's - 2005 Black Sapphire Metallic / Black Leather 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

bummer - sorry to hear. but glad you are OK with nothing but a bruised ego.

with only liability coverage, your options are limited:

1. keep and fix
    2. part out
    3. sell as a whole

KEEP AND FIX
    you mentioned the frame is likely bent - well, you don't know this until you start to disassemble. since you hit right in the middle, i think your chances are as good as they could be that it is actually OK (might be talking out my arse here). if i were you, i would start disassembling to assess the damage. sourcing parts - especially from here on the forum - should be pretty easy. you could get off as easily as just the cosmetic bits you see, plus the radiator support, radiator, expansion tank. but you gotta get that hood up and bumper cover off to assess.

PART OUT
    i've done this before, a few times. it is super time consuming, but you can recoup some major money, and quickly. if your car is a 6-speed, man.... it's a great donor platform for a ZHP Touring build. but seriously, depending on spec - you could do OK here.

SELL AS A WHOLE
    clearly the easiest scenario, but you're going to take a major loss here. heck, if i had the time i would buy it (depending on spec) to build another ZHP Touring.

i'm hoping to opt to keep and fix!
    peter

2004 330i ZHP
    2005 330iT ZHP
    2010 328iT M Sport

Quote Originally Posted by fredo View Post
    Very sorry to hear the news. Glad you are ok. Are you in Austin TX ? I remember your screen name for some reason.

You will get more money if you part your car. However this could be time consuming and as a student you may not have that luxury.

GL, sir.
    Thanks fredo--I am in the Buda area I remember you being up in RR?

Quote Originally Posted by slater View Post
    bummer - sorry to hear. but glad you are OK with nothing but a bruised ego.

with only liability coverage, your options are limited:

1. keep and fix
    2. part out
    3. sell as a whole

KEEP AND FIX
    you mentioned the frame is likely bent - well, you don't know this until you start to disassemble. since you hit right in the middle, i think your chances are as good as they could be that it is actually OK (might be talking out my arse here). if i were you, i would start disassembling to assess the damage. sourcing parts - especially from here on the forum - should be pretty easy. you could get off as easily as just the cosmetic bits you see, plus the radiator support, radiator, expansion tank. but you gotta get that hood up and bumper cover off to assess.

PART OUT
    i've done this before, a few times. it is super time consuming, but you can recoup some major money, and quickly. if your car is a 6-speed, man.... it's a great donor platform for a ZHP Touring build. but seriously, depending on spec - you could do OK here.

SELL AS A WHOLE
    clearly the easiest scenario, but you're going to take a major loss here. heck, if i had the time i would buy it (depending on spec) to build another ZHP Touring.

i'm hoping to opt to keep and fix!
    Thanks for this, this gives me hope. There was a moment right after I knocked the tree that I was pretty sure everything was lost--however, on closer inspection this morning, you might be more right. There appears to be no damage to any part of the car other than square on the front (I actually took out a large metal low-water crossing sign box as well, it's miraculous that I did no damage to either fender). The damage may not extend past the radiator. I'm going to attempt to remove the hood later today, I'll post a pic if I can.

I do hope that I can fix it--if possible I will go that route.

We are almost neighbors. I'm in South Austin, Manchaca Rd at 1626.
    2005 IR / black / 6MT
    157,000 miles

Also, the car is the 5AT.

Quote Originally Posted by fredo View Post
    We are almost neighbors. I'm in South Austin, Manchaca Rd at 1626.
    Oh! Indeed you are close--I am at 1626 and Brodie.

Quote Originally Posted by usinjin View Post
    Thanks for this, this gives me hope. There was a moment right after I knocked the tree that I was pretty sure everything was lost--however, on closer inspection this morning, you might be more right. There appears to be no damage to any part of the car other than square on the front (I actually took out a large metal low-water crossing sign box as well, it's miraculous that I did no damage to either fender). The damage may not extend past the radiator. I'm going to attempt to remove the hood later today, I'll post a pic if I can.

I do hope that I can fix it--if possible I will go that route.
    Quote Originally Posted by usinjin View Post
    Also, the car is the 5AT.
    cool. looking forward to seeing the pics.

let's get this thing back on the road!
    peter

2004 330i ZHP
    2005 330iT ZHP
    2010 328iT M Sport

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast