Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    A jack should put enough pressure on the tapered joint to do that....
    Dinan CAI &Throttle body, ESS Tuning TS2, Bimmerbrakes gen3 headers, UUC SSK & DSSR. Achilles oil pump, VAC oil pan baffle
    M3 Motor mounts, UUC Trans mounts, Modified clutch style LSD 3.15, TMS front subframe reinforcement, Koni Yellow sports,
    H&R sport springs,
    UUC sway bars, BMW Perf. Rotors, UUC SS brake lines, Hawk HPS pads, CSL replica wheels,
    Rotora strut bar, FXR HID conversion, M3 Mirror conversion, BSW stage 1 speakers

As it turns out, the ball joint was not spinning; the nut was turning but it didn’t look like it was moving up the threads so I assumed the former.

Now I have a bigger problem; the BJ’s appear to be frozen (rusted?) in place. No amount of striking the nut and/or pickle fork makes it pop. This applies to both the inner and outer BJ.

I’ve given up for tonight, but I left the pickle forks jammed in place with a few good whacks in hopes that constant pressure overnight might make them pop.

Suggestions?
    -Chris

Mine were a real bear to get out and I didn’t have much room to swing a sledge as it was on jack stands. Had to get my 20-something son to beat on it some... use Penetrating Blaster?

Quote Originally Posted by cornercarver View Post
    As it turns out, the ball joint was not spinning; the nut was turning but it didn’t look like it was moving up the threads so I assumed the former.

Now I have a bigger problem; the BJ’s appear to be frozen (rusted?) in place. No amount of striking the nut and/or pickle fork makes it pop. This applies to both the inner and outer BJ.

I’ve given up for tonight, but I left the pickle forks jammed in place with a few good whacks in hopes that constant pressure overnight might make them pop.

Suggestions?
    that's good news about the nut!

as for the joints not budging... here's what works for me:

1. harbor freight ball joint tool. this works the outer one, but won't fit on the inner one. if you don't have this (which i'm guessing you don't ), proceed....
    2. place pickle fork in tension on the outer joint. loosen the nut (i use my impact gun for these), but do not remove; leave it just barely threaded on. with a 5lb sledge, strike the side of the knuckle where the ball joint shaft goes through (so you're hitting the cast iron). about 10 good solid whacks usually does it; the ball joint will literally 'pop' out. remove the nut.
    3. for the inner joint...place pickle fork in tension, and strike the side of the control arm, just outside the ball joint. don't hit the subframe because it will bend. you can alternate with hitting the control arm and the end of the pickle fork; this should do it.

peter

2004 330i ZHP
    2005 330iT ZHP
    2010 328iT M Sport

Thanks for the tips! Gonna’ give it another go tomorrow. I don’t have a BFH so I’ll probably make a Home Depot run to grab a 5lb sledge.
    -Chris

I ended up using a combination of pickle fork, BFH and torch to heat the spindle where the outer BJ connects. Inner BJ was easier; just a pickle fork and a few whacks of the CA near the BJ made it pop. So glad this is done. Front end is much more taut with the poly fcab’s too. Now the rear end feels comparatively sloppy. Oh well... It’s an improvement anyway.

Name:  8D230B5C-EDB8-43C5-BE77-BC466248234C.jpeg
Views: 377
Size:  274.4 KB
    -Chris

Quote Originally Posted by cornercarver View Post
    I ended up using a combination of pickle fork, BFH and torch to heat the spindle where the outer BJ connects. Inner BJ was easier; just a pickle fork and a few whacks of the CA near the BJ made it pop. So glad this is done. Front end is much more taut with the poly fcab’s too. Now the rear end feels comparatively sloppy. Oh well... It’s an improvement anyway.

Name:  8D230B5C-EDB8-43C5-BE77-BC466248234C.jpeg
Views: 377
Size:  274.4 KB
    Good work homey

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12