Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP

Rear shock sound insulation

As the noise insulation was removed (and thrown out) around the tops of the rear shocks when the mounts were replaced, has anyone put something back in as partial sound insulation? What works?

i haven't put anything there, but there is definitely a science to sound deadening. manufacturers will use different types of materials - and thicknesses - depending on location.

i'm not that smart, so i just bought some adhesive-backed insulation off amazon to go under my rear seat after removing all of the crumbly original sound deadening material. it seems to be working OK, i might add a second layer.
    peter

2004 330i ZHP
    2005 330iT ZHP
    2010 328iT M Sport

when i did my rear shocks, i just cut open the top portion of that insulation material to access the shock mount. Once the new shock was in, I covered the holes I made with adhesive-backed 3M sound deadening material.
    ~ 2005 330ci ZHP Silbergrau | Black cube | Leather ~
    Current Mods: Akebono brake pads, Bilstein B4 Rear Shocks, Beisan Systems VANOS Rebuild, G.A.S. DISA O-ring, Morimoto fog lights, StopTech SS brake lines, Subwoofer tennis ball mod, Switchback Angel Eyes (turn signal), Zimmermann drilled rotors.
    My project thread ---> http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showt...into-a-reality

When I did my shocks, I just cut a neat, semi-circular line through the material around the top--allowing me to lift it up for access. When done, I was able to reposition it back down.

Yeah- this works
    2006 6MT Coupe, Alpine White • Premium, Cold Weather and Xenon packages
    MFactory 3.38 LSD • 27mm M3 bar • ECS strut brace • Koni FSD's

Other tweaks: see my profile

That insulation is the first thing I removed in both my e46s.. That is the major source of the famed crayon smell. I didn't notice any increased noise after removal.
    Dinan CAI &Throttle body, ESS Tuning TS2, Bimmerbrakes gen3 headers, UUC SSK & DSSR. Achilles oil pump, VAC oil pan baffle
    M3 Motor mounts, UUC Trans mounts, Modified clutch style LSD 3.15, TMS front subframe reinforcement, Koni Yellow sports,
    H&R sport springs,
    UUC sway bars, BMW Perf. Rotors, UUC SS brake lines, Hawk HPS pads, CSL replica wheels,
    Rotora strut bar, FXR HID conversion, M3 Mirror conversion, BSW stage 1 speakers

Quote Originally Posted by Sockethead View Post
    That insulation is the first thing I removed in both my e46s.. That is the major source of the famed crayon smell. I didn't notice any increased noise after removal.
    Wait...

You wanted to get rid of the crayon smell? That stuff's like heroin to me.

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCurves View Post
    Wait...

You wanted to get rid of the crayon smell? That stuff's like heroin to me.
    +1 that and my fart enriched alcantara

Autozone.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Reasoned1 View Post
    When I did my shocks, I just cut a neat, semi-circular line through the material around the top--allowing me to lift it up for access. When done, I was able to reposition it back down.
    That's what I did and then secure it with duct tape.