Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    Moog?

Yeah, Mightycarmods is selling these specifically for E46

moog
    2004 BMW 330CI ZHP (well, technically ZAM)

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCurves View Post
    Moog?
    Name:  a.jpg
Views: 1403
Size:  7.7 KB + Name:  Screenshot_2020-11-10 g - Google Search.png
Views: 1432
Size:  16.0 KB = Name:  c.jpg
Views: 1404
Size:  46.3 KB
    330i Base | Mysticblau | Slicktop | 6MT

Quote Originally Posted by t.er View Post
    Yeah, Mightycarmods is selling these specifically for E46

moog
    Grassy ass, amigo

Any link to Mightycarmods who sell these?
    Also I see you had to sand down the MOOG bearings, what did you use? I am having a hard time getting thr MOOG to install in straight, keeps wanting to cock and jam up. Thx

Quote Originally Posted by s14realm3 View Post
    Any link to Mightycarmods who sell these?
    Also I see you had to sand down the MOOG bearings, what did you use? I am having a hard time getting thr MOOG to install in straight, keeps wanting to cock and jam up. Thx
    Hey I saw your PM but wanted to answer here so everyone else had the info.

Reducing the diameter of the whole bushing was critical to getting a good fit. @Galapolis can elaborate but I think we ended up going at it with a file to try to take that diameter down more. Just, you know, don't take too much off. There's more pics of how I chucked it up in the drill on the e46f thread linked in the first post.

Also a very good idea to put them in the freezer overnight so they shrink down a bit before trying to install. We didn't have time for that so just threw them in a bucket of ice water for half an hour and it helped. Just make sure you dry them off well and apply a little antiseize to keep them from being a permanent install.

Did my Toyota spherical bearing install today. After some dremel sanding of rhe bearing housing, I was able to get the bearing pressed in. All is good, going to alignment shop Monday. Btw- this is on my e83 X3, uses the same RTAB as e36 and e46. This isn't a plug and play install but the modifications isn't that bad now that I know what to do. Thanks guys for the write ups and pictures in this thread. For some reason, I do not have the abilities to attach pictures in my post or I would add some of mine in this thread to help others.

Thought I should post my experience here. I've already posted a bunch of this in the "What have you done" thread but all that will get lost, so here it is. Being the cheap-ass I am I rented the free ball joint press tool from Crappy Tire (Autozone for folks down south) and also because of this video, which made it look so easy. However the area to press on is so much smaller than other commercially available sphericals, which limits the attachment pieces you can use.

It is possible to use that tool, but I found you will also need to rent the expansion kit, which has more cups/tubes. All in all, it does work but really sucks to use, for a few reasons.

First is the bent tool, which caused it not to press in straight. Maybe it's just mine, and I think the picture enhances the crookedness, but you can see the top not being parallel with the bottom:

So you may think you can just rotate the tool every few turns to even out the crookedness. But with the trailing arm so close to the body, you don't have a lot of freedom with that. So I just did this:

Another thing is that even with the optional cup kit, there were situations where the combination of all the attachment pieces meant it wouldn't fit within the press. So I had to get creative:

As for fasteners, it was mentioned here already but you need M14 x 75 mm or 9/16" x 3" bolts. I didn't want to use imperial fasteners and M14 bolts are quite difficult to come by - if you are in Canada you can order from Spaenaur, which like McMaster-Carr but without the awesome website. Or just order from McMaster. Dorman also sells these fasteners, the bolt is 428-875, the nut is 433-014, and the washer is 437-314.

Lastly, just as a precaution put a towel between your brake line and the upper CA. Maybe it's fine with stock lines, but I tore into the outer liner on my Stoptechs, so I had to buy a pair of rear brake lines to replace them. Oh and make sure you remove the clip that strain reliefs the brake line or it will have some tension holding the trailing arm up.

Anyways, a lot of hype around these budget sphericals so my expectations are high!
    2004 BMW 330CI ZHP (well, technically ZAM)

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567