Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

sealed spherical RTAB.... from a camry?!?

this is new and different. and kinda awesome. and yes, it's from a camry.

the caveat? you'll need to drill the RTAB bracket holes out to 14mm (from 12mm). but should provide all of the performance benefits of the BW or synchro design works units, at like, 20% of the cost, plus better ride quality than stock. i might try this out on the X3.

nate's gonna love this.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1227852
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    peter

2004 330i ZHP
    2005 330iT ZHP
    2010 328iT M Sport

I love this.

Any idea about the rubber stiffness relative to the bmw part?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2006 Coupe | Black Sapphire Metallic | Natural Brown | Gruppe M Intake | Corsa TSE3 | Michelin PSS on Apex ARC-8 | Koni Yellows |

Quote Originally Posted by san View Post
    Any idea about the rubber stiffness relative to the bmw part?

rubber stiffness?
    peter

2004 330i ZHP
    2005 330iT ZHP
    2010 328iT M Sport

Quote Originally Posted by ZHPizza View Post
    I love this.
    Me too! I love it when people make the effort to find solutions like this.

I'm interested in the longevity though; Spherical bearings don't do well on the street in my experience, at least not in the Northeast because of all the G-damn potholes.

Only $17.64 at Amazon right now... If they're stiffer than OEM, seems like it'd be a great idea! (Though I wouldn't tell too many people I put a Camry part on my ZHP.)
    -Chris

Quote Originally Posted by slater View Post
    rubber stiffness?
    I have only seen the stock rtab that the zhp that is made of rubber has and haven’t looked at the spherical rtabs. So these are full of metal?

2006 Coupe | Black Sapphire Metallic | Natural Brown | Gruppe M Intake | Corsa TSE3 | Michelin PSS on Apex ARC-8 | Koni Yellows |

Quote Originally Posted by cornercarver View Post
    Me too! I love it when people make the effort to find solutions like this.

I'm interested in the longevity though; Spherical bearings don't do well on the street in my experience, at least not in the Northeast because of all the G-damn potholes.

Only $17.64 at Amazon right now... If they're stiffer than OEM, seems like it'd be a great idea! (Though I wouldn't tell too many people I put a Camry part on my ZHP.)
    LOL!

as for the longevity... the OEM upper-outer rear control arm bushings are these same design, so you're already running sealed spherical bearings on your car. on the M3, both upper-outer and lower-outer rear control arm bushings are this design. it's a nice upgrade for us non-M guys to put the upper bearing in the lower position (i've done this); it helps promote proper wheel alignment.

spherical bearings do fine on the street, if used in the right locations. in regards to the RTAB location, in my opinion this bushing should not be absorbing impacts (that's the job of the spring and shock); it also needs to articulate on multiple axis, which the rubber bushing does, but it's sloppy and it wears out quickly. poly prohibits the multi-axis movement, and can bind. spherical allows full articulation, with precision. i love mine.

Quote Originally Posted by san View Post
    I have only seen the stock rtab that the zhp that is made of rubber has and haven’t looked at the spherical rtabs. So these are full of metal?
    yep; the rubber is purely to keep the grease in and the contaminants out.
    peter

2004 330i ZHP
    2005 330iT ZHP
    2010 328iT M Sport

Quote Originally Posted by slater View Post
    LOL!

as for the longevity... the OEM upper-outer rear control arm bushings are these same design, so you're already running sealed spherical bearings on your car. on the M3, both upper-outer and lower-outer rear control arm bushings are this design. it's a nice upgrade for us non-M guys to put the upper bearing in the lower position (i've done this); it helps promote proper wheel alignment.

spherical bearings do fine on the street, if used in the right locations. in regards to the RTAB location, in my opinion this bushing should not be absorbing impacts (that's the job of the spring and shock); it also needs to articulate on multiple axis, which the rubber bushing does, but it's sloppy and it wears out quickly. poly prohibits the multi-axis movement, and can bind. spherical allows full articulation, with precision. i love mine.

yep; the rubber is purely to keep the grease in and the contaminants out.
    Ah gotcha, thanks!

Next time you have your car up in the air, use a prybar to flex the rear trailing arm, you won't believe how much movement the rubber bushing allows!
    Dinan CAI &Throttle body, ESS Tuning TS2, Bimmerbrakes gen3 headers, UUC SSK & DSSR. Achilles oil pump, VAC oil pan baffle
    M3 Motor mounts, UUC Trans mounts, Modified clutch style LSD 3.15, TMS front subframe reinforcement, Koni Yellow sports,
    H&R sport springs,
    UUC sway bars, BMW Perf. Rotors, UUC SS brake lines, Hawk HPS pads, CSL replica wheels,
    Rotora strut bar, FXR HID conversion, M3 Mirror conversion, BSW stage 1 speakers

Quote Originally Posted by Sockethead View Post
    Next time you have your car up in the air, use a prybar to flex the rear trailing arm, you won't believe how much movement the rubber bushing allows!
    yep, then imagine under power how much squirmy-squirmy the rear wheels are doing...

i once saw some on-board video of the rear wheels on a stock E46 M3 under load, in a corner... and you could actually see a good 10-15mm of axial movement in the wheel from the stock RTAB. crazy. think of the toe changes!
    peter

2004 330i ZHP
    2005 330iT ZHP
    2010 328iT M Sport

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast