Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Yeah after lots of research, the exact one I have, even though it has very few features, seems to be the most expensive. I also don't want to mess with pulling pins, rewiring this and that, so I think I will go the rebuild route. Thanks all for the help.

The Glass is easy to change on the standard mirrors the 2 auto dim wires positive and negative literally just snap onto the metal contacts on the mirror glass so its as easy as taking it apart, uncliping the wires from old glass, putting in new glass and snapping on the wires again and assembling the mirror. should take less than an hour.

M3 mirrors require soldering so its more time but still not bad.

i've had to do 3 different mirrors.

that guy Scott from Radar mirror has a good deal on mirror glass but hes not super enthusiastic about modding mirrors for the cool features he used to advertise.

when I asked him about getting an oval auto dimming glass from him that was the new 2 way glass... he quotes $500 for the glass alone saying its super expensive.

when i asked about sending my mirror to him to mod it for the digital compass or homelink (since Ive seen him do it before) he gave me a short winded email on how hard it is and he doesnt want to do it anymore so i just bought a $100 auto dim glass from him. he never even emailed to say when it shipped tracking etc... merely it just arrived one day.

i think hes just tired of doing mirrors and burnt out, doesn't seem very enthused like he used to in his older forum posts on M3forum.

Id rather buy auto dim glass from http://www.mirrorjohn.com/#

he has more parts and is friendlier and more responsive.
    2003 ZHP 332i | S54 6 speed
    2002 ZHP Touring | M54 6 Speed

Quote Originally Posted by nextelbuddy View Post
    The Glass is easy to change on the standard mirrors the 2 auto dim wires positive and negative literally just snap onto the metal contacts on the mirror glass so its as easy as taking it apart, uncliping the wires from old glass, putting in new glass and snapping on the wires again and assembling the mirror. should take less than an hour.

M3 mirrors require soldering so its more time but still not bad.

i've had to do 3 different mirrors.

that guy Scott from Radar mirror has a good deal on mirror glass but hes not super enthusiastic about modding mirrors for the cool features he used to advertise.

when I asked him about getting an oval auto dimming glass from him that was the new 2 way glass... he quotes $500 for the glass alone saying its super expensive.

when i asked about sending my mirror to him to mod it for the digital compass or homelink (since Ive seen him do it before) he gave me a short winded email on how hard it is and he doesnt want to do it anymore so i just bought a $100 auto dim glass from him. he never even emailed to say when it shipped tracking etc... merely it just arrived one day.

i think hes just tired of doing mirrors and burnt out, doesn't seem very enthused like he used to in his older forum posts on M3forum.

Id rather buy auto dim glass from http://www.mirrorjohn.com/#

he has more parts and is friendlier and more responsive.

Thank you for sharing, this is very insightful

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
    2005 Jet Black 6MT ZHP "Family First"
    ~Rob~

If you're a little handy, you don't have to go out and spend $100 for a retrofit mirror when you can buy a non SOS autodimming from any wrecked bmw from the e46 era. You just have to remove some of the pins from the mirror harness before you plug it in and you're set.

used non sos autodimming mirrors from the e46 go from $20-$50 used on ebay,
    trancenation's Alpine Weiss ZHP

I see this is an old thread. But in case someone comes across it, I just want to say they DIY solution from mirrorjohn (dotcom) worked really well for me! Dealer would have charged over $1k parts and labor for OEM; working used rearviews tend to run $200+ and may also be about to fail. I got the replacement glass for about $130 (US) from mirrorjohn on ebay, it came in less than a week. Install took maybe an hour. Most of the time was spent trying to get the damn plastic cover off of the mirror without breaking tabs or marring it up (I had luck starting at the SOS door and working my way around counter clockwise - only broke one plastic tab). Anyway, it was a pretty easy and cost effective solution. Cheers!

Thanks for this. Here's his eBay store - https://www.ebay.com/usr/mirror-john...p2047675.l2559
    2006 330ci ZHP - Silbergrau Metallic / Stoff Laser/Anthrazit / Alu Black Cube trim / Adaptive Xenon headlights / HK hi-fi system / heated front seats

Another thing you can do, either as a temporary or permanent fix is to take the mirror out, pry the two halves apart, clean, and put it back together. It was a free fix and somehow having no dimming on the mirror hasn't bothered me in the past 5 years.
    2004 BMW 330CI ZHP (well, technically ZAM)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12