Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
    Gave the car a thorough wash yesterday. I've been using the touchless car wash to keep it clean(ish) but that only gets so much dirt off. Got all the wheels nice and shiny again and finished the paint with a spray on wax that will hopefully hold for a week or two.

While I was at the car wash the touchless wand peeled off my trunk roundel completely. It was already fading was on my list of things to replace, but not having one at all made me get one shipped out asap. I went ahead and replaced the third brake light as well since the previous one had a crack right down the middle. Apparently that's a common issue on the E82 and BMW even had a recall for it at one point.

So on the ZHP the rear roundel was held in by just two rubber grommets and the metal prongs on the roundel. The E82 has the same thing, except the grommets are a harder plastic and there is a circular adhesive backing to the roundel making sure it doesn't come off. I wasn't expecting this at all so it was a real pita to get off and then scrape off the rest of the adhesive. New one went on fine though and the adhesive will hold it tight. OEM or bust

65394 miles

Before

After (Pic sucks I know but the roundel is there at least)

2005 Jet Black 6MT ZHP "Family First"
    ~Rob~

Quote Originally Posted by ELCID86 View Post
    Another reason not to use a car wash (I’m one to talk—I do too periodically...)

https://jalopnik.com/heres-why-you-s...ash-1821475097
    I used the sprayer self wash stuff. No bristles or brushes. I never use the auto car wash. Never took the ZHP through an auto car wash and I don't plan to ever take the 135 through one either.
    ~Rob~

Quote Originally Posted by Newjack View Post
    I used the sprayer self wash stuff. No bristles or brushes. I never use the auto car wash. Never took the ZHP through an auto car wash and I don't plan to ever take the 135 through one either.
    Good call.

I was happy with just using the high-pressure rinse (water only). Then I realized that the black residue on the car was from whenever the hose made contact with the car.

Quote Originally Posted by holyc0w View Post
    I was happy with just using the high-pressure rinse (water only). Then I realized that the black residue on the car was from whenever the hose made contact with the car.
    Lmao yeah you gotta be careful and not bump the hose into the car.

I like using the touchless between washes because it gets the big 3d stuff off the car if there is anything. Makes a simple wash that much easier when you do it

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
    ~Rob~

Clean and shiny, yes!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Randeaux/Rando/John/jr - '06 Cic ZHP; Southern California
    "ZHP or not, I still like you"

ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV, Anthracite Black "my individual" interior trim
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Suspension: AST 44100 dampers, Bimmerworld front adjustable end links, Swift springs (8K front, 10K rear), Vorshlag camber plates
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors
    Note: Actual car no longer resembles signature picture

12/2/18

Did my first oil change on the car. BMW definitely did the last one since the oil pan drain plug was set to 1 million foot pounds of torque. Used a 17mm socket first and rounded one of the corners just a hair so I switched to a wrench to get it off. Will be replacing the oil drain plug with a new OEM one next oil change.

Right now I'm sticking with BMW 5w-30 oil since it isn't too expensive. Since I'm changing the oil out every 5k miles I don't really think the oil choice is going to matter that much. I hear good things about Motul and keeping oil temps down, but I would only run that in the summer if I did and even then the stuff is extremely expensive.

I'm surprised how tiny the oil filter is on the N54 motor. Its maybe 70% the size of the ZHP oil filter. Takes the same amount of oil. Threw in 6.5 quarts, got the car up to temp and checked the oil level in the car on a level road while idle. Its on the high side with 6.5 quarts but its kinda hard to tell. Looks like I have room for one more "block" on the iDrive screen. Not used to not having a dipstick. Either way the car says the oil level is good so I'll just leave it and only add in 6 quarts next time to see what that looks like on the screen.

I also swapped out the summer tires and threw on the stock 135 wheels with blizzaks. Funny that I bought the original wheels for the car before I bought the car. When they were on the ZHP I was getting some moderate steering wheel jitter at 30mph +/- I don't really notice much of anything with the exact same wheels on the 135i. No idea why the 135 can tolerate it better but its a nice perk. I will eventually have all 4 of the winter wheels rebalanced when I put new blizzaks on them but I think I'll save that for next year.

I have no idea how the car is aware, but it knows there are a different set of wheels and the tire pressure monitoring system is giving me some feedback on the iDrive system. Gonna have to look into this and figure out how to make it go away.

While the hood was popped I cleaned out all of the stupid leaves that gather in the windshield cowl area. This car has some really deep pockets by the hood struts where a ton of crap can get in. I was literally pulling out handfuls of leaves.

Sooner than later I need to get some air filter cleaning solution to clean out the Injen dual cone intakes. I was planning on doing this today since they are super easy to pop off, but I didn't have anything to clean them with and you can't use soap and water. If anyone has any suggestions for a cleaning solution let me know.

~Rob~

I'm pretty sure those are dry filters on there. We got them from Injen. We did have an Injen cleaning kit for the oiled filters... I though Kristen gave that to you?

That car wasn't bad at all on dry roads with the blizzacks on it. I was always surprised with that...

I forgot that you bought those wheels... isn't that funny how things turned out
    Dinan CAI &Throttle body, ESS Tuning TS2, Bimmerbrakes gen3 headers, UUC SSK & DSSR. Achilles oil pump, VAC oil pan baffle
    M3 Motor mounts, UUC Trans mounts, Modified clutch style LSD 3.15, TMS front subframe reinforcement, Koni Yellow sports,
    H&R sport springs,
    UUC sway bars, BMW Perf. Rotors, UUC SS brake lines, Hawk HPS pads, CSL replica wheels,
    Rotora strut bar, FXR HID conversion, M3 Mirror conversion, BSW stage 1 speakers

I’m glad to see I’m not the only one who uses a hilariously small space heater while working in the garage.

Those splitters looks really good. Perfect balance of subtle yet aggressive.
    Emma - 2005 BMW 330ci ZHP 6MT Estorilblau Individual

Sportline 8s 18x8.5F - 18x9.5R | APEX ARC-8 18x8.5 Square | aFe Intake | 135i Brembo F/R Calipers | 26mm Front/20mm Rear Sway Bars | Z4 Mirror
    M3 Dead Pedal | Lexus ES300 Yellow Fog Light Retrofit | Koni Yellows/H&R Springs | Llumar CTX 40% | Coby Tri-Stitch Wheel & Boots

Awaiting Install: M3 Wing Mirrors

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast