Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    I had the same experience running redline MTL on my zhp as you are having now with the 135i. Swapped it for D4 ATF and it’s a little better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2006 Coupe | Black Sapphire Metallic | Natural Brown | Gruppe M Intake | Corsa TSE3 | Michelin PSS on Apex ARC-8 | Koni Yellows |

Ambient temps were 53F this morning. Coming from a cold start straight into first and second gear with no issues. Way smoother when cold and overall a much more enjoyable experience. I feel much better knowing the right fluid is in the car.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
    2005 Jet Black 6MT ZHP "Family First"
    ~Rob~

I've been looking at clutches since around the time I planned on buying this car. Running 150hp+ over stock was going to give some issues eventually so I wanted to get my ducks in a row before the clutch outright failed and I hadn't done any research.

I've had the clutch slip ever so slightly a few times in 4th 5th and 6th now all under 2k rpms when I go WOT. It's enough to get me thinking.

So BMW uses the same clutch on the F10 550i and the 335is. (Linked Here)

(Pulling from this post)

This clutch comes factory in the F10 550i, which puts down 443 tq and weighs a whopping 4552 lbs. DINAN doesn’t offer a clutch upgrade for their different stages of 550i’s, so apparently they feel that it is adequate. Their Stage 3 550i puts down 580 tq and they kept the factory clutch. Also, someone on the forums is using this clutch and claims that it is holding at over 620wtq on aftermarket turbos. To me, it sounds like the clutch is severely underrated.

My 135i won’t see more than 500 tq anytime soon. I’d guess that it is currently around 420whp/465wtq, but only weighs 3300 lbs!
    This sounds right for my car and I think it will easily hold power for a long while. Yes I plan to make it faster, but that will take a lot of other parts (turbos injectors etc) so I have no immediate plans for that. Besides I think this clutch will be fine for the power I plan to get out of it.

Now here's my question. The guy in his thread switched to a single mass flywheel. It doesn't sound too bad, especially at idle and not under load. But when you turn the headlights on and the AC you can definitely notice it. Enough that I really don't want to live the single mass flywheel life since this car is a daily for now.

I know dual mass flywheels aren't really meant to be refinished, since its a pain in the ass and often isn't done right. You just go ahead and replace the flywheel with the clutch.

Question - Can I use another 135i stock flywheel and use the upgraded 550i clutch? The clutch (pressure plate specifically) is the holding power right? The mating surface of the dual mass flywheel or single mass flywheel wouldn't have any impact on overall grab or performance?

Please note that I will not be doing this job myself. This is not a DIY I ever want to do especially on a car that I need to get to work lol
    ~Rob~

No comment other than to reinforce that SMF chatter is significantly worse with the AC running and my foot off the clutch. Reminds me of my grandfather’s 1982 Mercedes 240 Diesel. Drives great, but the noise is embarrassing as shit.
    Emma - 2005 BMW 330ci ZHP 6MT Estorilblau Individual

Sportline 8s 18x8.5F - 18x9.5R | APEX ARC-8 18x8.5 Square | aFe Intake | 135i Brembo F/R Calipers | 26mm Front/20mm Rear Sway Bars | Z4 Mirror
    M3 Dead Pedal | Lexus ES300 Yellow Fog Light Retrofit | Koni Yellows/H&R Springs | Llumar CTX 40% | Coby Tri-Stitch Wheel & Boots

Awaiting Install: M3 Wing Mirrors

Yea.... I think I'll be putting a dual mass flywheel and heavy duty Sachs clutch in mine. The smoothness of the M2's drive train has me wanting that back in my car
    Dinan CAI &Throttle body, ESS Tuning TS2, Bimmerbrakes gen3 headers, UUC SSK & DSSR. Achilles oil pump, VAC oil pan baffle
    M3 Motor mounts, UUC Trans mounts, Modified clutch style LSD 3.15, TMS front subframe reinforcement, Koni Yellow sports,
    H&R sport springs,
    UUC sway bars, BMW Perf. Rotors, UUC SS brake lines, Hawk HPS pads, CSL replica wheels,
    Rotora strut bar, FXR HID conversion, M3 Mirror conversion, BSW stage 1 speakers

Quote Originally Posted by Sockethead View Post
    Yea.... I think I'll be putting a dual mass flywheel and heavy duty Sachs clutch in mine. The smoothness of the M2's drive train has me wanting that back in my car
    So then running the stock dual mass flywheel would be fine with an upgraded clutch? The pressure plate is the part that gives the grip and holding strength?

You have a single mass flywheel on the ZHP?
    ~Rob~

Yes, That is correct... The pressure plate provides the clamping force. Your car has been fully modded since practically new, so you can see that the clamping force of the stock clutch is actually quite good. When I was living in NJ there was a indy in West Chester PA. that I took my car to, Bimmerwerks, he had a full track car. It was a 335 I believe. He had a stock clutch in it and said it worked great and had no desire to put anything else in it...

No I still have the dual mass but I'm pretty sure that the flywheel has failed as I am getting a lot of noise at idle. Peter (slater) had a short video clip in his touring build thread that showed a failed flywheel. I have around 145K hard miles on the car
    Dinan CAI &Throttle body, ESS Tuning TS2, Bimmerbrakes gen3 headers, UUC SSK & DSSR. Achilles oil pump, VAC oil pan baffle
    M3 Motor mounts, UUC Trans mounts, Modified clutch style LSD 3.15, TMS front subframe reinforcement, Koni Yellow sports,
    H&R sport springs,
    UUC sway bars, BMW Perf. Rotors, UUC SS brake lines, Hawk HPS pads, CSL replica wheels,
    Rotora strut bar, FXR HID conversion, M3 Mirror conversion, BSW stage 1 speakers

Quote Originally Posted by Sockethead View Post
    Yes, That is correct... The pressure plate provides the clamping force. Your car has been fully modded since practically new, so you can see that the clamping force of the stock clutch is actually quite good. When I was living in NJ there was a indy in West Chester PA. that I took my car to, Bimmerwerks, he had a full track car. It was a 335 I believe. He had a stock clutch in it and said it worked great and had no desire to put anything else in it...

No I still have the dual mass but I'm pretty sure that the flywheel has failed as I am getting a lot of noise at idle. Peter (slater) had a short video clip in his touring build thread that showed a failed flywheel. I have around 145K hard miles on the car
    Thanks Rob, good to know. Yeah and for the most part the stock clutch is still holding 405whp. It only started this recently with Kristen's psycho tune on it. The oem feel is something I want to retain, and that's why the upgraded oem clutch for the 550i is so appealing.

Gave her a wash last night. I forgot how quickly the wheels get dirty. Rear wheels dust almost as bad as the fronts did on the ZHP. Parents keep telling me I should get ceramic pads to avoid the dust. That. Will. Never. Happen. I don't care about dust if it means I have the hands of God stopping the car

Going to Florida for the next 10 days so the car is now sparkly clean and will be sitting in my parents garage. Stepdad will drive it a time or two while I'm gone, and I'm excited to hear what he thinks since he's still never been in it or driven it.

I can only imagine the cold start sound inside of the garage!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
    ~Rob~

Rob, PFC Z-rated pads are excellent IMO and have very little brake dust. When the time is right, maybe look at them as an alternative to OE pads. Both cars look great!
    -Jeff | '19 JGC WK2

Sold: '03 ZHP

"There is a straight six engine at the front, a manual gear box in the middle, and drive goes to the back. That's page one, chapter one from the petrolsexual handbook." - Jeremy Clarkson

I don’t know the answer to this, so maybe I’m being an idiot—is it possible to keep the DMF while switching to a non-SAC? I think that’s what really made the big difference for me in terms of feel. Maybe the 1er doesn’t use an SAC, idk.
    Emma - 2005 BMW 330ci ZHP 6MT Estorilblau Individual

Sportline 8s 18x8.5F - 18x9.5R | APEX ARC-8 18x8.5 Square | aFe Intake | 135i Brembo F/R Calipers | 26mm Front/20mm Rear Sway Bars | Z4 Mirror
    M3 Dead Pedal | Lexus ES300 Yellow Fog Light Retrofit | Koni Yellows/H&R Springs | Llumar CTX 40% | Coby Tri-Stitch Wheel & Boots

Awaiting Install: M3 Wing Mirrors

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast