Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Wink UPDATE! Phase 1 of my two tone interior

I purchased this Mystic Blue ZHP sedan about 2 months ago and it's been perfect. Love the car, but the grey interior is kind of boring to me. I wanted to wait to work on the interior until the mechanical stuff was done but I found a good deal on some black door panels so I purchased them and started working on them this afternoon while wife and kid were out of town.

I've wanted to find a NB interior to purchase, but it's miserably hot in central Texas right now and summers just begun. So the grey will stay and I'll just two tone the interior pieces like it should've been from the factory. Much like the natural brown interior pieces are done, namely the door panels, seat backs, lower side trim on seats, etc. The grey is just oversaturated but my plan is to break it up and make it not so boring.

I started with the "new" used black panels and began removing the inset panels this afternoon. I wanted to start with these to "practice" and to find the best method to remove the plastic welded rivet posts behind the panel. I needed to experiment to find which tool would allow me the most material to screw the pieces back together. I first tried a drill bit to drill through and break the tops off, I tried a flat paddle bit, a countersink bit, an end mill bit, cut-off wheel on a dremel, and finally a sanding drum on the dremel. The drill bit didn't leave enough material for the screws. Same with the paddle bit and countersink. The end mill bit and cut-off wheel worked okay, but the sanding drum was by far the best and definitely the quickest.

Wife and son came home a little early so I stopped for the evening. Will remove panels from car maybe tomorrow or whenever I'm able to commit some time to it this week.

Next up will be the dash and carpet, seat backs and trim, and rear parcel shelf. I didn't see anything where anyone had done this here so I'll update this thread as I go.

Questions / comments / concerns welcome.

UPDATE: All door panels are now complete! I really can't explain how gratifying it was doing this myself and the difference it makes on the interior of my car!

First and foremost, use this DIY at your discretion. Doing this is not difficult, just time consuming. Please wear eye protection as there will be hot, melted flying plastic from your Dremel.

All locations in the following pictures are color coded to help you with screw size and locations.
    RED: #8
    YELLOW: #12
    GREEN: #12 - Don't install this screw until you've installed the door pull and are ready to install the inset panel to the outer door panel.

In order to do this you need some supplies, ie: screws, washers and some epoxy or silicone (in case you can't get all screw locations).

• Box of 100 #8 x 1/2" Machine Screws
    • 26 #12 x 3/4" Machine Screws
    • Box of 100 1/4" flat washers (for the #8 screws)
    • 26 3/16 ID x 1" OD flat washers (for the #12 screws)
    • 1 tube of silicone or 2 part epoxy
    • 1/8" drill bit (#30 bit) & a 5/32" drill bit (#21)

Remove your door panels and flip them over to expose the plastic melted rivets. These are what you'll be grinding away with your Dremel. Don't push too hard and don't stay on the head too long as it will just remove material you'll need to screw the inset back to the door panel. I found a high speed fast approach worked well and it took away the heads of the rivets in about two passes.

Now clean the RED locations with your 1/8" drill bit and YELLOW & GREEN locations with your 5/32" drill bit. This is to facilitate screw install later.

Rear:

Front:

After removing all rivets, remove the inset panel from the rest of the door panel. You'll have something like this:

NOTE: Be very careful with the fronts due to the airbag cover that will want to fall out to the back of the panel, just keep your hand on it and be cognizant of it while working and you'll be fine. These panels are older and the glue that holds the leatherette on is beginning to separate.

Now that you have the panels removed, it's time to remove the door pulls. These are the same type of melted plastic rivet, just larger. The rears will have 8, the fronts will have 7.

After removing the rivets just pull the two apart, they will be stuck a bit but don't be afraid to use a little bit of force here.

Now install the new door pull to the inset panel with your #12 screws at all YELLOW locations. There is one RED (#8) location at the top near the door handle, next to the GREEN location.

Now it's time to install your two-toned inset panel to the outer door panel as shown. Install as many #8 screws as you can in the RED locations. Use the epoxy or silicone to glue it in locations where you may skip a screw or two. Now you may install the #12 screws in the two GREEN locations as these also help to secure both panels together.

Repeat for both rear doors and they're done! Simple, right? Now you can begin to admire how drastic of a change this is.

Fronts are pretty much the exact same as the rear, with the exception of the airbag cover that you need to handle with care to prevent it from falling out.

Install the door pull using hardware at all YELLOW and RED locations, leaving the GREEN locations until you mate the two pieces back together.

Now mate the two pieces and install all hardware at marked locations.

Repeat for both front doors.

Install your newly built custom two-toned door panels back to your car and admire!

Feel free to PM me if anyone has questions.
    Last edited by Phillips0417; 07-01-2018 at 02:34 PM. Reason: Complete!

Looking forward to the results

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

His - 2004 Imola Red / Alcantara 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

Her's - 2005 Black Sapphire Metallic / Black Leather 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

+1.
    2005 IR / black / 6MT
    157,000 miles

subscribed. I've decided i want to recreate the two-tone affect on my sand beige. I want to wrap up some other projects first. What are your plans for the carpet? dye or replace?

You da man! So glad someone is finally going through the effort to go all out on this!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Quote Originally Posted by joeybananaz18 View Post
    subscribed. I've decided i want to recreate the two-tone affect on my sand beige. I want to wrap up some other projects first. What are your plans for the carpet? dye or replace?
    If I can find some black carpet in good shape I'll just replace it all, otherwise I'll be dying it black. Mine is in really good condition so I may just go that route anyways although I've never dyed anything. It'll be a learning process for sure, but so are the door panels.

Quote Originally Posted by az3579 View Post
    You da man! So glad someone is finally going through the effort to go all out on this!
    It's an effort for sure but I think it'll be worth it in the end! I really can't wait to see the end result.

Thanks for the motivation guys! If anyone has any specific picture requests or anything, feel free to ask.

Quote Originally Posted by Phillips0417 View Post
    Thanks for the motivation guys! If anyone has any specific picture requests or anything, feel free to ask.
    Nothing specific, just take a bunch in case anyone plans to travel down a similar path

Very excited to see the end result.
    Emma - 2005 BMW 330ci ZHP 6MT Estorilblau Individual

Sportline 8s 18x8.5F - 18x9.5R | APEX ARC-8 18x8.5 Square | aFe Intake | 135i Brembo F/R Calipers | 26mm Front/20mm Rear Sway Bars | Z4 Mirror
    M3 Dead Pedal | Lexus ES300 Yellow Fog Light Retrofit | Koni Yellows/H&R Springs | Llumar CTX 40% | Coby Tri-Stitch Wheel & Boots

Awaiting Install: M3 Wing Mirrors

Got some time in the shop today. Started with the rear passenger then went to the front passenger. The rear has about three spots where there a skip or two between screws so I put some silicone / epoxy on those. I will wait to install it until tomorrow after it dries and I can remove the clamps. But the front passenger turned out really well. I'm happy thus far.

Before:

After:

Have to order the mirror switch cover for the passenger side.

that looks friggin awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by joeybananaz18 View Post
    that looks friggin awesome!
    +1

Can't wait to see the finished product.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast