Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Valeo Single Mass Flywheel Conversion Kit for 6spd

Creating this thread as a central discussion point for the Valeo Single Mass Flywheel Conversion Kit for 6spd vehicles.

Several vendors offer this kit with ECStuning being a front runner.

Kit Includes the following items at an affordable price point compared to other options when it comes to replacing the clutch.

Single-mass flywheel
    Non-Self Adjusting Clutch and pressure plate
    Throw out bearing
    Pressure plate bolts
    Flywheel bolts

Plus according to Valeo this conversion kit is set to promise OEM drive-ability, pedal feel, and a simple install.

However it seems like several members that have this kit installed have a different experience after the install.

Can those individuals that have this kit installed list the Pro's/Con's and any other opinions below?

Does this kit live up to what Valeo is promising ? Or is the price point relevant to what you get?

Should the money be spent on something like a dual-mass flywheel and a different clutch that is not self-adjusting? Or just an OE replacement the best option?

Thanks

His - 2004 Imola Red / Alcantara 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

Her's - 2005 Black Sapphire Metallic / Black Leather 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

I put this kit on my 2005 330xi 6MT, and I like it very much. I do have to feather release a bit more to eliminate drivetrain clunking, but I chalk that up as to be expected in light of the design difference between single and dual mass flywheels. I actually like it, because I find it more "clutch-like" in that respect, but it bothers some people. I have absolutely no chatter from mine, but I've seen a couple reports of it (install issues?). A very important factor to consider is that I bought this kit for only $350 and, in that light, I am ecstatic about it (even bought a spare).
    Last edited by Reasoned1; 06-27-2018 at 03:51 AM.
    2004 BMW 330i ZHP (52k miles), Jet Black with black leather, MFactory LSD (3.38) with Z4 cover, 18"x8.5" ET38 APEX Arc-8's (Anthracite) with 245/40 Michelin PSS', Koni Sports with factory springs and front and rear reinforcement plates, Shark Injector, Corsa TSE3 cat-back exhaust, TMS under-driven pulleys (water & steering), CDV delete, TMS CF strut brace, K&N CAI, GAS DISA rebuild, TMS pedals, Wheelskins steering wheel cover, roller tray center console, black-out grilles, and WeatherTech mats

I do have to feather release a bit more to eliminate drivetrain clunking, but I chalk that up as to be expected in light of the design difference between single and dual mass flywheels. I actually like it, because I find it more "clutch-like" in that respect, but some people get bent out of shape about it.
    Sorry man, but I have to address this statement. Expecting the smoothness and refined feeling out of a BMW is hardly "getting bent out of shape", especially when the kit is advertised as a direct replacement to the stock setup that is supposed to retain the stock driving characteristics. If it was an actual upgrade (which is it not), then perhaps I wouldn't get so "bent out of shape" about it. I understand that upgrades have downsides, but the purpose of buying this kit was so I can retain a stock level of refinement, so I essentially got all of the downsides of a lightweight flywheel with none of the upsides. Let's not forget this kit weighs the same as a stock setup.

As far as answering the original questions go. Here are the cons:
    * There is a noticeable and annoying amount of chatter in my car, and I know Spenser has a similar experience in his. This chatter is present both when in gear and starting off from a stop, as well as sitting at a light in neutral with the clutch out. It doesn't always chatter, but it chatters most of the time. There are obviously exceptions to this (Peter's car did NOT chatter at all when I test drove his, which is the very reason I bought the kit, hence my frustration that I had a different experience).
    * The clunking, as mentioned in Reasoned1's post. There is a lot more of it.
    * When starting the car, the whole car shakes; you can feel the added harshness.

The pros:
    * It feels fine to drive
    * The price is right
    * The flywheel will probably last a lot longer
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

I also don't get any shaking of the car when starting.
    2004 BMW 330i ZHP (52k miles), Jet Black with black leather, MFactory LSD (3.38) with Z4 cover, 18"x8.5" ET38 APEX Arc-8's (Anthracite) with 245/40 Michelin PSS', Koni Sports with factory springs and front and rear reinforcement plates, Shark Injector, Corsa TSE3 cat-back exhaust, TMS under-driven pulleys (water & steering), CDV delete, TMS CF strut brace, K&N CAI, GAS DISA rebuild, TMS pedals, Wheelskins steering wheel cover, roller tray center console, black-out grilles, and WeatherTech mats

Quote Originally Posted by Reasoned1 View Post
    I also don't get any shaking of the car when starting.

I wonder if these symptoms depend on factors we aren't considering. As I said, Peter's car didn't have any of these symptoms, whereas Spenser and I share some symptoms. I can't imagine what those vehicular differences would be as we're all relatively similar in model year and equipment...
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

Quote Originally Posted by az3579 View Post
    I wonder if these symptoms depend on factors we aren't considering. As I said, Peter's car didn't have any of these symptoms, whereas Spenser and I share some symptoms. I can't imagine what those vehicular differences would be as we're all relatively similar in model year and equipment...
    At this point, BP, I think my biggest concern is the lack of consistency. Of the 4 referenced here we have 2 self-installs (Peter and myself), 2 shop installs (you and Reasoned1). One of each is experiencing good results while one of each is experiencing bad results.

Yes—I have bad chatter (it’s worst when the AC is on an my foot is off the clutch). I have vibration on startup, albeit not terrible, but I didn’t have before. However I’m not experiencing any new clunking—I actually find the Valeo kit very smooth to drive, but I attribute that to being a non-SAC. Almost every bushing in my car is new, and many are M3 rubber bushings—that’s to say I don’t have any poly/delrin/solid bushings to create this vibration.

Is there such thing as a non-SAC that still uses a DMF? If so I think that’d be the winning combination.
    Emma - 2005 BMW 330ci ZHP 6MT Estorilblau Individual

Sportline 8s 18x8.5F - 18x9.5R | APEX ARC-8 18x8.5 Square | aFe Intake | 135i Brembo F/R Calipers | 26mm Front/20mm Rear Sway Bars | Z4 Mirror
    M3 Dead Pedal | Lexus ES300 Yellow Fog Light Retrofit | Koni Yellows/H&R Springs | Llumar CTX 40% | Coby Tri-Stitch Wheel & Boots

Awaiting Install: M3 Wing Mirrors

Quote Originally Posted by 704sw View Post
    At this point, BP, I think my biggest concern is the lack of consistency. Of the 4 referenced here we have 2 self-installs (Peter and myself), 2 shop installs (you and Reasoned1). One of each is experiencing good results while one of each is experiencing bad results.

Yes—I have bad chatter (it’s worst when the AC is on an my foot is off the clutch). I have vibration on startup, albeit not terrible, but I didn’t have before. However I’m not experiencing any new clunking—I actually find the Valeo kit very smooth to drive, but I attribute that to being a non-SAC. Almost every bushing in my car is new, and many are M3 rubber bushings—that’s to say I don’t have any poly/delrin/solid bushings to create this vibration.

Is there such thing as a non-SAC that still uses a DMF? If so I think that’d be the winning combination.
    I bought the Valeo Kit last November and still have not got around to installing it. Price shipped from ECStuning was $389

The recent reviews have made me not proceed with doing the install but at this point I might as well install it.

Another option is a LUK dual mass flywheel and a Sach clutch kit ( non-sac ) but the cost of that is roughly $1300.

My biggest concern is the drive ability and noise on a day to day basis.

His - 2004 Imola Red / Alcantara 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

Her's - 2005 Black Sapphire Metallic / Black Leather 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

Well, Vas, I’d say you’ve got a 50/50 shot of it being the clutch of your dreams lol.
    Emma - 2005 BMW 330ci ZHP 6MT Estorilblau Individual

Sportline 8s 18x8.5F - 18x9.5R | APEX ARC-8 18x8.5 Square | aFe Intake | 135i Brembo F/R Calipers | 26mm Front/20mm Rear Sway Bars | Z4 Mirror
    M3 Dead Pedal | Lexus ES300 Yellow Fog Light Retrofit | Koni Yellows/H&R Springs | Llumar CTX 40% | Coby Tri-Stitch Wheel & Boots

Awaiting Install: M3 Wing Mirrors

I think, if you more broadly research the reviews on it, you'll find that they are generally quite good. That's why I bought it.

Quote Originally Posted by Reasoned1 View Post
    I think, if you more broadly research the reviews on it, you'll find that they are generally quite good. That's why I bought it.
    I think the issue is that it's hard to find relevant reviews. A lot of the people who like this kit are also ones that don't mind a little noise or are willing to sacrifice a little something, so of course they're going to leave a good review and fail to mention those things. I'd be totally cool with everything if people were all inclusive of their reviews. You'll find a lot of "it's great!" reviews but not find reasons why it's great, and lots of people don't write about every aspect of it.

User reviews are tough because people aren't really following any kind of review standard. This is why I drove all the way up to Canada to drive Peter's car to see what it was like to actually drive. The fact that the behavior is different on different cars completely baffles me.

But anyway, Vas - since you already have it, you might as well install it and see how it behaves in your car. You're probably well past any return period.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast