Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Interesting Phenomenon - Strut Brace

I've been reading up a little on strut braces for our cars, especially as they get older. Was it tracked often in a previous life? What sort of suspension components does it have? How many miles on the car?

My '03 sedan has about 230K miles on the clock. Mechanically it's in good shape; runs great, doesn't leak, and the drivetrain is solid. It does have Bilstein B8 shocks and H&R Sport springs, which is going to be notably stiffer than stock but still relatively comfy. I don't know that it was ever tracked, but I also don't know that it wasn't.

Most of the articles I've read point to metal fatigue around the strut towers being a potential issue with high mileage cars and/or those with "sport" suspensions. Basically, a lot of stresses applied to the bodywork. There is no deformation in the towers that I could detect and the car has always handled well, but after I had LCAs and end links and bushings installed I noticed it felt a little bit loose. So I put on an ECS strut brace - the current version of their carbon fiber brace. Light, incredibly inflexible, and easy to bolt on.

The car has that tight feel back. No hunting or wandering, and dead stable on choppy turns and freeway ramps. I'm not an aggressive driver, but it really is notably better than before. I understand that the ECS bar doesn't get a lot of love (the old version, I think), but it sure seems to have helped my car.

Ken...

Thanks for sharing your thoughts Ken.
    I am actualy have a front strut bar along with reinforcement plates in my list to install, mostly to prevent that mentioned damage to the strut towers.
    I hope car will feel more rigid as well with the bar installed

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I concur with Ken that a strut bar helps with front end feel. Tighter, better turns. A positive mod for sure.
    325i, 2005, 5MT, Silvergrey, leatherette, Sport package; CDV delete, KONI STR-T & KYB Excel-G, Weisslichts, Stewart H2O pump

328i, 2010, 6MT, Spacegrey, dakota leather, M-sport packages; has a 330 intake but no tune - yet
    http://s900.photobucket.com/user/othibau/media/Junesig.jpg.html][IMG]http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac208/othibau/Junesig.jpg

Yes a strut bar does help with the issue you pointed out. It took me 1 day to get used to mine after I installed it. I was used to feeling the car body slightly flex when hard cornering. The strut bar really tightened up the front end and got rid of the flex.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1980 320i - Kashmir Metallic - Sold in 1993
    1985 535i - Cosmosblau Metallic - Sold in 1995
    1985 535i - 1985-06 - Delphin Metallic - Sold in 2016
    1983 320i - 1982-09 - Kashmir Metallic - Currently own!
    2004 ZHP - 2003-08 - Titanium Metallic - Currently own!

I took my mason engineering strut bar off for a session at my last track day.

I didn’t notice a difference.

I’m also not Senna.

His: 05 330 ZHP Imola Red - 07 Z4 M Coupe Imola Red
    Hers: 04 330i ZSP
    2004 325 M56 Steel Blue Metallic - Sold
    Stephen's DD & AutoX/HPDE Build Thread
    Stewart WP - Z4M LCAB - M3 trans/motor mounts - DICE MediageBridge Duo - ARC-8 17x8.5"
    DrVANOS - Mason Engineering Race Strut Bar - E30 Exp. Cap - Custom Black+Beige Interior - M3 Seats
    Bilstein PSS10 - Turner Sway Bars 27/21 - ECST RTAB Limiters - R.E. RSM

Quote Originally Posted by stephenkirsh View Post
    I took my mason engineering strut bar off for a session at my last track day.

I didn’t notice a difference.

I’m also not Senna.
    I'm definitely not Senna.

How many miles on yours?

Ken...

Out of the 15-18 cars I have owned, I’ve put strut bars on half of them. Definitely a needed chassis mod
    2005 BMW 330i ZHP - BMWP brakes/intake/strut bar/shifter, Coby wraps interior, BBS CHs, Eagle Eye LED tails, LED fog lights, GC coilovers, Sprint Booster/sport button mod, 4.5 LCM w/ programming, Xtrons 9inch HU, BSW stg1, dynamat, M3 sedan dead pedal, oCarbon CF interior trim, CF seat backs, 2x2 CF MTECH2 diffuser, CF cabin filter cover

The difference was more noticeable on my coupe than sedan, which isn't surprising since the sedan is a stiffer chassis.

Good for a vert too but not sure if I can tell the difference or not I've had it on so long.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Randeaux/Rando/John/jr - '06 Cic ZHP; Southern California
    "ZHP or not, I still like you"

ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV, Anthracite Black "my individual" interior trim
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Suspension: AST 44100 dampers, Bimmerworld front adjustable end links, Swift springs (8K front, 10K rear), Vorshlag camber plates
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors
    Note: Actual car no longer resembles signature picture

Granted the difference is minor, but I put one on all my E46's after testing it on a local on-ramp with increasingly tight radius where I had trouble maintaining my line--obviously less difficult with the strut brace (Turner carbon fiber). I also wanted one on there to help strengthen the crown of the strut pillar.
    2004 BMW 330i ZHP (52k miles), Jet Black with black leather, MFactory LSD (3.38) with Z4 cover, 18"x8.5" ET38 APEX Arc-8's (Anthracite) with 245/40 Michelin PSS', Koni Sports with factory springs and front and rear reinforcement plates, Shark Injector, Corsa TSE3 cat-back exhaust, TMS under-driven pulleys (water & steering), CDV delete, TMS CF strut brace, K&N CAI, GAS DISA rebuild, TMS pedals, Wheelskins steering wheel cover, roller tray center console, black-out grilles, and WeatherTech mats

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast