Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Turn Key, Car won’t start

Need some help guys:

This problem has been going on for the last few weeks but just a moment ago was the last straw. No matter which key I use this happens: I put the key in and turn it/hold to start and get nothing. The cluster lights up, the fuel is priming, it’s not a battery or starter issue. The last two weeks, I would simply take the key out and put it back in and turn the key resulting in a start. Just now: I tried both keys repeatedly (10-15 times each) and nothing. Luckily I got it to start.

Any idea what the issue is?
    2005 BMW 330i ZHP - BMWP brakes/intake/strut bar/shifter, Coby wraps interior, BBS CHs, Eagle Eye LED tails, LED fog lights, GC coilovers, Sprint Booster/sport button mod, 4.5 LCM w/ programming, Xtrons 9inch HU, BSW stg1, dynamat, M3 sedan dead pedal, oCarbon CF interior trim, CF seat backs, 2x2 CF MTECH2 diffuser, CF cabin filter cover

Turn Key, Car won’t start

Starter!

The wife had the same issue on her 2006 330CIc Sport and it was diagnose by the dealer as a starter. It’s a pretty big job to do and expensive to have done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by 3ZHPGUY; 07-04-2018 at 06:26 PM.

Dinan; Hign Flow Intake System, & Strut Tower Brace
    Turner Motorsports; Underdrive Power Pulleys
    Koni Sport, Bridgestone; Potenza RE-11, Coby Wheel
    Stewart High Performance Water Pump
    Hawk High Performance Street 5.0 Brake Pads
    Brembo Rotor

The purposeful face of a formidable athlete:

The spine-tingling 330i Performance Package.

Purchased CPO on 12/23/2006 with 28,090 miles

Could be a EWS problem. I had a similar issue...would turn the key, everything comes on, but no start. No cranking, and I believe no clicking. Sometimes it started right away, other times it may have taken 2, or 3, or 5 attempts. And sometimes it wouldnt start at all after 15 tries...there was no pattern. Anyways, my mechanic went nuts trying to find a solution, tested the alternator, the battery, reflashed both my keys. Turns out there was an issue with the EWS, i believe he had to redownload it. This is pretty uncommon, but if youre sure its not a battery or starter issue, I would consider looking into this

TKZHP: that sounds similar to my symptoms. Started doing this out of nowhere. So you had your ECU reflashed?
    2005 BMW 330i ZHP - BMWP brakes/intake/strut bar/shifter, Coby wraps interior, BBS CHs, Eagle Eye LED tails, LED fog lights, GC coilovers, Sprint Booster/sport button mod, 4.5 LCM w/ programming, Xtrons 9inch HU, BSW stg1, dynamat, M3 sedan dead pedal, oCarbon CF interior trim, CF seat backs, 2x2 CF MTECH2 diffuser, CF cabin filter cover

Had a similar issue, luckily I had the plastic Valet/Plastic key and I had to drive with both keys at all times.

If it is your starter, go with Bosch I cheaper out and have a horrid whine coming from mine everytime it starts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IF it’s the starter, which one of FCPEuros website is it, some have different flange sizes?

Could the ignition switch cause the issue as well?

My Indy suggested starter, ignition switch, CPS in that order of “that’s probably it”

I just had to go out to it to start it up and go somewhere and it wouldn’t start after two turns. On the third turn, I held it and pumped the clutch and it started. Does that sound more like the CPS?
    Last edited by BADCLOWN; 07-05-2018 at 11:02 AM.

If it started while you pumped the clutch then count my suggestion out

If gotten it to start 2-3 times by pumping the clutch. Other times I’ll just keep turning the key (taking it out, reinserting it) and get nothing, orher times I’ll try the key a few times and it will work as normal, and sometimes it’ll start first try no issues.

Is the car coded to disable (defeat) the clutch interlock? Pumping the clutch prior to start makes me think the switch may be wonky...

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Lazlo View Post
    Is the car coded to disable (defeat) the clutch interlock? Pumping the clutch prior to start makes me think the switch may be wonky...
    That’s what I was thinking.

If it is the starter, consider YourMechanic.com. Best money I’ve spent on my car. The tech worked in my garage for almost 6 hours! (He did use Bosch).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast